Jabiru Engines

Guest Glenn

Instead of hijacking Oz's other thread I thought I would create this thread to ask about your thoughts on Jabiru engines.

Are they a reliable engine? I hear often about engine failure, but are they any better than any other engine?

Thoughts please

Guest OzChris

Glenn, as far as I am aware (and have experienced), Jabiru Engines are VERY reliable. The earlier 1600cc model was not known for its reliability, however, the newer 2200 (with mods) is extremely reliable - I think the main criticism that I am aware of is its advertised TBO is perhaps somewhat exaggerated, not impossible though. Many Jabiru 2200 engines need a top end overhaul at around 500ish hours. But, in general, they really are a great engine!

The 3300cc 6 cyl is also a very good engine!

Thats not to say that there will be some that experience troubles - maybe the same ones that do not care for their engine properly nor maintain it to schedules and then blame the engine when it goes on them...or gives them trouble.

A well cared for and maintained Jabiru engine should give reliable and predictable performance.

Jabiru - A GREAT Australian Aviation Company!

• 1 month later...

Hi there,

I've recently purchased a jab LSA55 with a 40-hour (jabiru factory) reco engine around 2 1/2 years old. After receiving advice from an experience level2 who maintained 2 jabs for a local flying school, and much research, these will be my maintenance/running criteria:

• Oil change every 25 hours

• Oil filter change every 50 hours (I use Puralator "pure one" filter)

• Using BP Ultimate 98 octane mogas with fuel pump ON at all times

• Check tappets & head torque every 50 hours

• Leak-down compression test at 300 hours (or sooner if warranted)

• NEVER let the engine overheat! Monitor the gauges, ensure good ducting/air flow (a) around cylinders and (b) through the oil cooler

I found it a bit perplexing to read through the list of engine parts that Jabiru didn't replace with new, but I guess I'll have to live with that. A lot of Jabiru engine problems seem to stem from overheating at some point.

BTW, I calibrated the oil temperature sender by dipping it in boiling water and checking the gauge reads 100 deg. c.

Cheers, Jim.

• 1 month later...
Guest Darren Masters

Kris, you can run the Jab engines on MOGAS but I don't know whether you can then switch back to AVGAS etcetera. I don't know about extending the life of the engine on MOGAS but I am sure some on these forums do.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest OzChris
Hi guys, can you run a jabiru engine only on av-gas or can you run it on un-leaded as well. Will last longer or not.Kris

Kris, a friend of mine who runs a Jabiru 3300 6 cyl in his Jabi J230 runs it on a 50/50 mix of Premium Unleaded and Avgas - He swears by it.