Wanna be pilot

Guest timf66

Hi all

My name is Tim, I live in the Latrobe Valley (about 25km's from airport of the year!). I currently drive log trucks 60 to 70 hours a week and hate it. My plan is to borrow a huge amount of money and do my cpl next year. It's a very scary proposition as it will put my family (wife and 2 and a half kids) in a bit of a dodgy financial position. However I am almost 30, and all I have ever wanted to do is fly, the theory is if I don't just do it it will never happen!

Well, enough about me, back to the new posts.......

Hi Tim

I am currently up near your place at the moment I am near Sale while on work holidays. Hows the weather down there?

I would suggest maybe keep driving those trucks while doing you PPL, that way you have a solid income while studying for your private license.

Once you have completed your private license you can then begin full time CPL study's (You may already have PPL not sure).

I am sure Gerad Taylor or Alan Campbell from the Latrobe Valley Aero Club would be happy to point you in the right direction. I am not familiar with how the Latrobe Valley Aero Club works as I am not from the area.

Guest OzChris

Hi Tim,

Welcome to TAA...

I think that Robbo gives some wise counsel - dont jump in the deep end with a wife and family in tow with a single focus. Do your PPL first - see how you like it, if its something you might want to do full time Then perhaps move to the next stage...looking at commercial training, and so on. Its a step by step process - just having a commercial license and ratings will not guarentee you employment, but is certainly the start.

By all means start your flying lessons/training/etc (if you havent already), just dont bite off more than you can chew, you may regret it.

Your only 30 - perhaps just take one step at a time. Im sure you will be up and flying before you know it!

Again Welcome to TAA - Great to have you join in with us all here...

Hi Tim

30 isnt old any more. Not sure what the age limit is for general entry pilots in the armed forces is these days. Have you ever considered that route to flying? If you are determined to do it the GA way I would do what others have suggested and pay your own way through the PPL or even RAA which is cheaper, then look at your options if you still feel the pull. If you do ever go down the path of borrowing money, a big risk especially with the present economic situation, there are some schools where they guarantee you some work at the end, subject to satisfactory performance.

Thanks everyone for your replies, you have have given me a great deal to think about! In fact I have done nothing but think about it and I think you guys are spot on. I should just start off with a ppl and re-asses from there, as much as I would love to chuck the job and go at it full bore, I think a slower approach makes more sense.

Thanks again everyone.....

Tim