Spectrum Aviation

Guest OzChris

Guest OzChris

Wayne Fisher runs Spectrum Aviation - the Australian designed 'Drifter' (only a stronger version I believe??) is called a Fisher Mk1..also has a sports version that does aerobatics (there is a you tube video of him doing aero's in the Fisher Sports)

Wayne has been flying hang gliders and ultralights for over 30 years as both pilot and instructor and holds a current General Aviation license with aerobatic endorsements. He has worked on the construction of over 230 ultralight aircraft.

In May 2004, Spectrum Aviation moved along the tarmac to a larger hangar at Lismore Airport, in northern NSW where the business has been located since 1992.

There site is HERE for those interested in this awesome aircraft...

Also a good place to purchase your cloth patches for 'rag & tube' aircraft!

• 2 years later...
  • 9 months later...
Guest Michael Coates

He also does a great job of the fabric covering.... from memory there is only one drifter left at our airfield now but it sports a nice new covering made by Wayne. Looks beautiful! it is also good to see ongoing support for all of the drifter aircraft still flying.

I have been told many times that they are going to remake the aircraft in Dalby, a building brought etc etc but never hear of anything being sold ??

Just had a really big conversation in the USA about the drifter with the local telling me how Australia stole their design, started making them ourselves etc etc. He was getting quite animated about it! at the time I thought it would probably be easier and less trauma for him if I raced off with his wife ! who knows the story of the drifter ? Was it first built in Australia or the USA and did Australia steal the design as he mentioned or did we build it under licence or did it happen all the other way around where they stole the design of us ? might make an interesting magazine article

Hi Michael, I believe that Jim Fenton built the Austflight Drifter.Based on the original Maxair Drifter. Difference was he changed virtually everything for certification and came up with the XP503.First Plane I flew SOLO in at Boonah in 23 June 1990.:)

Anyway Drifters where built at Boonah at the time. In the shed across the road from the airstrip. Richard E, used to manufacture them for Jim.Anyway something happened a few years later, not sure what.I think he was going to get them built overseas at one point.

The rights had been bought by a Company in Dalby years ago.I think they have made a couple. Because of certification they only build the strut braced Drifter with a 582.The cost a few years ago was around $60 000.

Wayne builds his version Super Drifter with 912 80HP for around the $60 000 mark as well. I think that is why he sells alot more.

Gidday David Bloody Mason good to see you mate.

The Maxiar was the first Drifter i ever flew and in my opinion the one I would look for if buying one second hand. David M is yours a Maxair? The Austflight Drifter (Jim Fenton's version) was stronger but too damn heavy in my opinion and the strut braced version even heavier due to the certification requirements for the main wing spar/tubes (triple tubes from memory). The Maxair wire braced 503 is a beautiful nimble little aircraft to fly.

Mine is an original XP503 Maxair, imported in kit from USA and assembled by austflight, refurbished 2006. Has original bucket seats flies like a bird. Yes very light, could use a backyard as a runway.

• Like 1

Mine is an original XP503 Maxair, imported in kit from USA and assembled by austflight, refurbished 2006. Has original bucket seats flies like a bird. Yes very light, could use a backyard as a runway.

I reckon you got the best model there David, well done.