Subaru EA81 Engine

Guest Kris

Hi guys, I am thinking of buying a Zenith Zodiac 601 HDS with a Ram EA81 100hp engine, do not any know any thing about this motor, any feed back would be very helpful.

Kris

Guest OzChris

Re: What Engine powers your Recreational Aircraft?

Kris, by all accounts, I hear the Subaru EA81 is a very good engine (when well cared for), and there are certainly a lot of them in use in recreational/experimental aircraft - so my guess is they are a good alternative to the 100 hp Rotax 912S (may not be quite as bullet proof though).

Kris, would you need to build an alternative engine mount and cowl??

The engine is already installed and has about 290hrs on the clock. I think it is EFI, I think the A/C was built and flown in the USA. not much in add. I was wondering why it is so cheap, Same A/C and 100hrs more than the A/c on your site, though it was the engine. Or it could be still in the USA. hope not, contact is in NSW.

Kris

Guest OzChris

Kris, at the end of the day - you get what you pay for.

If the a/c is not in Oz and you cannot inspect it, I would steer clear.

It would be cheaper with the Subaru engine as it is FAR less expensive than the Rotax 912 (like the ones advertised on my site). Subaru does not have Rotax' reputation and reliability (IMO).

Be wary of anything that sounds tooooo cheap though

Guest OzChris

Kris - here is a website with all the info on the EA81 engine - CLICK HERE

At the side navigation on the site click on the EA81 engine - it has the description, performance and specs...

Thanks OZchris for the info and web site, it helped , but I think I like the one in Darwin. Built in good old south aust too. From the pics not much in the way instruments and in Darwin, but can work with that. do you have any more info on it or more pics.

thanks again.

Kris

Guest OzChris

Thanks OZchris for the info and web site, it helped , but I think I like the one in Darwin. Built in good old south aust too. From the pics not much in the way instruments and in Darwin, but can work with that. do you have any more info on it or more pics.thanks again.

Kris

The instrumentation on the Zenair Zodiac 601HD (19-3597) are pretty standard for a Recreational Aircraft. It has all the engine instruments, ASI, compass, tacho, Alt, slip ball, VSI (I think) - I guess there is still room for other gauges if you require them.

Having only 250 hours on the 912A is a bonus (1500 hours TBO)!

The fact that it has 140lt fuel tanks makes it a very long cruiser (if your bladder can stand it). Which is always something that you have there but dont HAVE to use (fuel tanks, not bladder). It has storage lockers in the wings and also the firewall - so weight allowing, is great for fly-ins, packing the tent and sleeping bag, etc. 90 kt cruise speed is pretty good - not earth shattering, but still gets you along nicely and still see the country side.

If you need further info. I would encourage you to email Perry - [email protected]

Dont forget to tell him you saw it at RecreationalPilots.com.au 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

Ozchris, thanks again. I will Follow up, tomorrow (day off). need to see bank man this week. Need to check if this canopy needs mods, if I go with the sale.

Kris

Emailed perry the other day, plane sounds great. Anyone know where to get a loan, banks and Credit unions don't like planes or boats.

Kris

Guest moobradidi

The EA-81 is an excellent engine. Heavy and the power:weight is not

that great (75hp unmodified). My view is that the more that any engine

is modified beyond standard, the greater it's unreliability. This includes

turbos, stroking, boring out etc.

The EA-81 does fine in a 2 seat application so why try to get more than

it was designed to? Fine form dragsters.:eek: