Bantam Discussion(s)

Guest Fred Bear

Guest Fred Bear

Let's get some Bantam discussions happening here! A trully amazing STOL aircraft and an aircraft that's so easy and so much fun to fly!!:)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, Bantums, yay! 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif

Really fun to fly, 071_yawn.gif.43c7f5f86675fec124ffe33bd2e896f0.gif

Both of them, yawn

Amazing, :;)6:

Really,zzz uhm, zzzzzz,

Something, zzzzzzzz,

zzzzzzzzzz!

006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif Sorry Darren. 025_blush.gif.9304aaf8465a2b6ab5171f41c5565775.gif

Guest Fred Bear

Arthur,

I'll now go out of my way to annoy you with the buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzing all weekend! keen.gif.9802fd8e381488e125cd8e26767cabb8.gif Do you know if Gary will be there this weekend? We have something for him. Ozzie MTOW about 450kg stalls at 25kt. Also can take off and land in about 25m (less with a good head wind). Beat that!

• 5 weeks later...
Guest Juliette Lima

Hello Darren,

I flew gliders for many years..loved them.

I then learned to fly ultralights on a Bantum and thought the little aircraft was an absolute joy.

My instructor showed me some amazing flying capabilities of the aircraft a few feet above a deserted beach when I was concerned about stall capabilities....he managed to fly for about a kilometre or so at what seemed to be little more than walking pace.

I'm not recommending you try that...I still could'nt.

They are a great and safe machine. ENJOY.

Regards

JL

Guest Fred Bear

I shall JL...although not for 3wks now being in a plaster:black_eye: (not Bantam inflicted). I agree, they are a great, fun little machine. If you can't fly a Bantam, somthing's wrong!;)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest David C

I've been priviledged to be Darrens Ist officer on the Bantam a few times now . I can agree with all of the above , they are a great little machine . One bit of advice though . If you happen to fly just before last light on a "crisp " winters day , make sure you are rugged up !! . I haven't thawed out yet from the last time . They are easy to fly , even I can manage it .;);) Clear skies , limp windsocks and ISA+10 , now that would be nice !!

Guest Fred Bear

Don't forget your woolies for this weekend mate!;) Looks at being a good weekend out there. See you there (check your email).

• 4 weeks later...

Bantam I remember flying one of those. windy little bugger and when your on the ground your bum is so close you get gravel rash just thinking about it. But I must admit, probly the best STOL aircraft I very flew!!.

Guest Fred Bear

STOL is excellent yes but as you mentioned, when you flare it's basically when you behind is on the runway! A funny feeling at first. Must remember that with the Jabiru or I'm going to come down real hard:black_eye:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys. I must admit the Bantam is a very easy aircraft to fly. GreatSTOL abilities, but a little slow in the cruise. This does not mean that you cannot go places though, it just takes a little more time! I first flew the Bantamin Queensland when on holidaysa couple of years ago. It was similar to the Dualstar ( early model Flightstar ) that I had at that time. I was impressed, and after a few circuts with the CFI, he let me loose on my own. That flight took my 13 year old son and I around the Glass House Mountains, overthe Australia Zoo, then out to the southern tip ofBribe Island. We then decended to, and flew along, the coast up to Caloundra, waving at the fishermen along the way! Greatflying.....The next encounter I had with the Bantam was when I did the delivery flight of the Bantam that Darren flys at the oaks. This involved collecting the Bantam from Moruya and flyingit to Goulburn, this wasa short stop to refuel the aircraft and defuel myself! On the next leg to The Oaks the weather began to close in. I was glad I was in the Bantam and not the Jabiru we flew to Moruya, as I washappy that I could make a precautionary search and landing with extreme confidence.As it turned out there was no need to to divert and we both arrived at The Oaks quite safely.Since then the Bantam has seen many new pilots gain there wings at TheOaks, and many old pilots experience 'rag and tube'flying at its best! I must add that I do not have anything to do with the Bantam commercially ( unfortunately! ) but as I say 'if you cannot fly a Bantam, you should'nt drive a car!'

• 7 months later...

I just had a look at the QuickTime video (on the Skyfox site) of a Bantam taking off. http://www.skyfox.net.au/bantamsales/video.html

Now THAT is my kinda aircraft. I could get into some great fishing spots with a Bantie.

My little boat's slow, too, but who's in a hurry?

You're right, Darrell. Bantam owners, talk to us. Bantams rule!

Guest danda

From that vid it looked as if it was running a 582 you can put a 2200 jab on them, after seeing that it makes you think what it could achieve with the extra power?:confused: ;)

Don

• 2 weeks later...
Guest b1rd

Anyone know when The Oaks training Bantam will be operational ? One's a little busted up at the moment. Or is there two ?

cheers,

b1rd

Not sure when it will be back on line, the owner is talking about installing a Jab engine in it!! I am not certain whether the four stroke engine will give the Bantam the same takeoff as the Rotax 503?

Would like to hear from anyone who has flown a Jabiru powered Bantam!!

Regards,

Gerry....

Guest Fred Bear
Anyone know when The Oaks training Bantam will be operational ? One's a little busted up at the moment. Or is there two ?

I was the last to fly it. Don't worry I have been hassling John T (owner) every weekend I am there for it. Should be a few more months and right to go. Awesome to fly. My favourite machine at The Oaks :) Gerry says "If you can't fly the Bantam, you should not be walking" 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif Installing the Jab will involve shortening the boom (for obvious weight reasons). John has to acquire some tech notes from the manufacturer re this. The Bantam with the Jab now is becoming the preferred option these days.

http://www.microaviationsa.co.za/

Gerry, I think it will be a shorter roll and steeper climb. The cruise will increase to 65kts with the Jab (airspeed increase is a true fact). Don't really know about the rest but I will be keen to jump in again.

Guest Fred Bear

Further, there is only one Bantam there at The Oaks. Johns. Hunter will be online soon enough too. Also stacks of fun to fly.

Guest b1rd

Thanks for the feedback Darren. This forum sure is addictive .... MUST .... DO .... SOME ..... WORK .... but I keep slipping in here to have a gander ... and there's so much info here !

I'm greatly looking forward to when the Bantam is back in the skies where it naturally should be. I'm a minimalist .... guess I always will be.

Not familiar with the Hunter. Any pics ? What kind of kite is she ?

Guest Fred Bear
Not familiar with the Hunter. Any pics ? What kind of kite is she ?

Some pics of a Hunter on my web site mate (though that one is the 912). It's kind of like a Light Wing minus the tail wheel. Much larger than the Jab.

Guest b1rd
Some pics of a Hunter on my web site mate (though that one is the 912). It's kind of like a Light Wing minus the tail wheel. Much larger than the Jab.

Ah yes the Hunter does look very spiffy indeed. Was that you in that parachute thing ? ..... nice pics ..... but ... cringe .... shiver ..... I think I'd like a solid wing.

Guest Fred Bear
Ah yes the Hunter does look very spiffy indeed. Was that you in that parachute thing ? ..... nice pics ..... but ... cringe .... shiver ..... I think I'd like a solid wing.

I was in the 'parachute thing'- Aerochute 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif PAX only there! Lots of fun but not in the wind :confused: