Bantam Discussion(s)

Guest Fred Bear

Guest Baphomet

Convert

Dropped by to say Hi. I've just bought a Bantam (582) I've been flying Drifters by the hire hour since converting from GA a couple of years ago. Love the Drifter, but I have to say I think the Bantam is a far more practical choice. Can't wait to take it on some longer trips up and down the coast. I fly out of the Lockyer valley near Brisbane.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Fred Bear

Excellent stuff! What a wonderful machine you have purchased. Look forward to reading about some of your adventures and hope to see some pics!:)

Dropped by to say Hi. I've just bought a Bantam (582) .

Bantams seem to be as scarce as hen's teeth (pardon the pun) on the second-hand market these days. Maybe the owners can't bear to part with them. If I can ask, Baphomet, is yours pre-loved or new? And is the STOL performance as good as claimed?

Jim

Guest Fred Bear
And is the STOL performance as good as claimed?

Jim, with a little headwind I can get our Bantam at our field off the ground in roughly 15m. Have not tried with flaperons 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

And you wrote:

Bantams seem to be as scarce as hen's teeth

011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif ;)

Gasp! Choke!

Hell, that's my front lawn! Who needs the Moller Skycar?

Seriously, Darren, that's remarkable. Thanks for the info. You really could get into some interesting places with a Bantam. I notice that there's a fleet of 'em patrolling some of the South African game parks. The Bantie's apparently selling well in that country.

http://microaviationsa.co.za/photo_gallery.htm

Guest Baphomet

Mine is pre-loved, but low hours and very good condition. Haven't pushed the envelope yet, but indications are it will performed as advertised. Easiest landing ultralight I've flown, just feels very 'solid' all the way through the approach and flare.

Guest Baphomet

Hi Darren, I'd be interested in seeing any tech notes about the 2.2 Jab install, as the N.Z. facory seems interested only in selling new aircraft.

Guest Fred Bear

Nice pics Jim. Amazing machine.So many places you can take that girl!

Hi Darren, I'd be interested in seeing any tech notes about the 2.2 Jab install, as the N.Z. facory seems interested only in selling new aircraft.

As soon as we have been through that at The Oaks I shall let you know. Will be interesting though.

Guest b1rd

I tell you what I'll be very interested ! She looks like a fine a/c for the u/l purists and I'm itching to get up in one at some point. Their reputation, performance, safety and handling must be good because (although in my admittedly brief searches !) they're rare in the 2nd hand market I suspect because their owners won't part with them. Or maybe I'm wrong ? But a fine kite nonetheless.

Great pics link jimecho btw.

• 2 months later...
Guest kermet

Bantam info

The Bantam is surely a great little aircraft, Ive had mine for nine years but been slack flying wise, yes with good head wind and 1 up 20 L gas ive jumped off the ground by mistake in less the 10 metre and landed in about 30 metre's (safely) with good 10-15mph head wind, my prop is slightly on the fine pitch but still cruse at 60-65mph (68" warp drive 3:1 gearbox) but no wind takeoff's are normaly about 25-30 metre's climb out around 1100 fpm, rpm on high side but takeoff is so much fun, video link is here and acouple of landings.

[/media

In NZ the Bantam Motor choice from factory is Jabaru or Rotax 582, newer Bantam's have airfoil main struts and dury struts two tube fuselage and covered in rear fuse,you can get upto 5 mph more cruse just by fitting the rear fuselage cover's, when the motor stops they dont have a great glide ratio so lower the nose to 50mph and about a 90 degree window in front depending how high you are.

Cheers

Brett

takeoff.thumb.jpg.38010c59da616f0917b8bb0f6ff8d52b.jpg

• 1 year later...

Bantam airborne....Where?

Hi you all…

anybody…somebody!

Where can one go or see any Bantam air craft flying?

Or maybe I should be more to the point in asking if there are any Bantams flying in Queensland - Ayr, Mackay,Townsvile,Procerpine areas?

Let us know …PM mail will be good! Thanx!

Regards

Zazoo

• 2 years later...

I am enjoying reading the Bantam Banter in this thread.

The New Zealand factory are testing the UL Power engine from Belgium and this may become the engine of choice eventually, if the testing works out well. Otherwise the Jab 2200 may continue to be the preferred engine.

You could call Max Clear, CEO, Micro Aviation, the manufacturers of Bantams:

Limmer Road, Te Kowhai, RD8, Hamilton, New Zealand

Ph +64 7 829 7837, Fax +64 7 829 7587

Hi ZaZoo,

There is quite a market for second hand Bantams in Enzed. NZ's equivalent of ebay (Trade Me) has a few. For example there is one for sale for an asking price of $NZD13,500 which is only ten grand in Australian Dollars. With a bit of negotiating you may get it for the equivalent of nine thousand.

Now, there is the little issue of disassembling it and putting it into a box and sending it across the Tasman Sea to Oz.

Here is the link: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=373640266

• 7 months later...
ConvertDropped by to say Hi. I've just bought a Bantam (582) I've been flying Drifters by the hire hour since converting from GA a couple of years ago. Love the Drifter, but I have to say I think the Bantam is a far more practical choice. Can't wait to take it on some longer trips up and down the coast. I fly out of the Lockyer valley near Brisbane.

have you ever had any problems with turning on the ground? I have a bantam with Jab engine ad recently developed a problem with taxing to the right Stand right on the rudder pedal and make s a wide turn AS you know ts tricky to get to the pedals for a close up look Any ideas??

• 2 weeks later...
have you ever had any problems with turning on the ground? I have a bantam with Jab engine ad recently developed a problem with taxing to the right Stand right on the rudder pedal and make s a wide turn AS you know ts tricky to get to the pedals for a close up look Any ideas??

G day trikepilot

Have a look in your handbook and go read up on "Effects of the throttle" = Torque, Slipstream, Thrustline effect, Gyroscopic effect and Asymmetric blade effect. You may also check tyre pressure re ground effect/steering. Have a good new year and when you have time please call me or drop me an email or a no. to call you at, did you get my email?

Cheers

Zazoo