Aerovee engines

pete8862

• 8 months later...
I have not herd any thing bad against the Aerovee.They need more maintenance that the Rotax 912.

Thanks, A bit cheaper in terms of purchase price also if I understand correctly. not sure but how much though.

Mike

Hi All,Does anyone know anything about Aerovee engines, the prices are great but why do people shy away from this type of engine.

I would like to hear for & against

Pete

My 2 bob's worth, Pete, is that the VW is a loveable engine and relatively inexpensive, and I hear that Aerovee's version is good. Unfortunately, you get what you pay for. I spent a few thousand on a VW for my little plane but after years of work and expense found that it was just too heavy. I had to replace it with a Jabiru, which is far lighter and more powerful. I still have a perfectly food 1600 VW engine if you want it, but few fliers seem to use them any more.

Regards,

Lyle

Thanks, A bit cheaper in terms of purchase price also if I understand correctly. not sure but how much though.Mike

AeroVee 2.1:

80hp, 2180cc VW conversion by AeroConversions, a product line of Sonex Aircraft, LLC. Includes AeroConversions AeroCarb, and Sonex/AeroVee Installation Guide.

View More AeroVee Information

(online ordering)

PDF order form

Price: $6,995.00

Popular Options:

Optional Pre-Assembled Prop Hub/Crankshaft Assembly: $295

Optional Nikasil Cylinder Upgrade: $500

2-into-1 Stainless Exhaust:

$395

AeroVee Fence Baffle Laser-Cut Baffle Kit:

$100

Air Filter Assembly (ACV-C10-30):

$50

AeroConversions Throttle Quadrants: $75

/85

Oil Temperature Sender (VDO):

$15

Oil Pressure Sender (VDO):

$35

Integrated Spinner / Crushplate:

(included w/Airframe kits)

$85

Crushplate Only:

$20

• Like 1

I think just about every Sonex flies with one of these and they don't seem to have a bad rep. If I were doing a homebuilt that didn't need a lot of power, I would certainly consider it.

Lyle: the AeroVee is a 2180cc engine with a fair bit more power than your 1600 and not significantly heavier than a Jabiru or Rotax.

Thanks everyone. Specifically I am considering a SkyRanger Swift. Their info site lists suitable engines as being the AeroVee 80Hp or the Rotax 912.

The Rotax would be an excellent choice but the $ factor comes into it a bit for me as well.

If I were in the position of having to chose an engine and price was a factor (OK , price is always a factor, but I mean a LARGE factor) I would be very seriously looking at the Viking from Jan Eggenfeller. I cannot see better value for money anywhere else on the planet at the moment....

Yeah, the viking is very interesting. It also has the advantage of having 30 more horses than the AeroVee and (arguably) the reduction drive. I have seen a few models where take-off distance a Rotax 80HP is quoted as a lot less than another popular 80 HP brand. Someone in the know (he's on these forums) tells me this is because geared props spin up to full thrust quicker. Can anyone confirm?

It even offers 10 HP more than Rotax for 10 grand less!

http://www.vikingaircraftengines.com/

You probably found this Mychael, anyhow the short story is they take a second hand Honda Jazz engine and add a reduction drive and a few other bits n pieces. They certainly look the goods and on paper must make the short list. The basic engine is renowned for being a tough and reliable unit, both in the cars and as a powerhead for the Honda 90hp outboards. It wouldn't be fair though not to put the possible negatives out there too - Jan Eggenfellner (owner) tends to provoke one of two reactions, anger or unquestioning faith from customers and his previous venture with Subaru conversions ended in tears for many.

My own take on things is that I find the concept attractive and would love to see it take off, excuse the pun. I'm still not sure that I would be putting down my hard earned cash at this stage of things, there are good reports on the few aircraft flying with them, but I would rather sit on my hands and see them rack up a lot more hours before fishing my wallet out. Others may have a different risk profile.

Thanks. I did find the link and some video of Jan being interviewed at a fly-in.. The concept seems good but seems to be in the early stage of development and I simply do not have the money to be part of the R&D in my own aircraft if I were to get one. I found a discussion group and your correct in that opinions (probably like most things in aviation hobby) seem to be quite polarised to one side or the other with still not a lot (at least from what I was able to see) hard facts and data.

• Like 1

They certainly do more than "take a secondhand engine and add a few bits and pieces!" I can see a CNC machined C/case and several castings plus LOTS of new parts fitted upon assembly. I notice 60 engines delivered as of late last year

They certainly do more than "take a secondhand engine and add a few bits and pieces!" I can see a CNC machined C/case and several castings plus LOTS of new parts fitted upon assembly. I notice 60 engines delivered as of late last year

;) well yes they do, if it were as easy as my "short story" version makes it sound, everyone would be doing it.....

Maybe it's just a peculiarity of mine, but I do wish designers would pay a bit more attention to the looks of their cowls, it truly is the face of an aircraft - I'd rate the Viking designed ones an "ok", but I saw a truly horrific example on a Wilksh (sp?) diesel engined RV recently - where's the shudder smiley? Maybe worth a thread of its own.