C46 Commando.

Came by an old book recently about Piper Cubs & scanned this photo of a WW2 hospital Cub being unloaded or loaded into a transport. Tried to figure out what the cargo plane is, thought it was too fat for a C47 & has a retractable tail wheel as well. I'm fairly sure it's a Curtiss-Wright C46 Commando from photos I've looked up. The original pic is an official US Marine Corps photo which would possibly make it an R5C designation. It sure looks like one.

Cheers, Willedoo.

Cub.jpg.c5c0b064097d192274c9f9a1d4b78957.jpg

Came by an old book recently about Piper Cubs & scanned this photo of a WW2 hospital Cub being unloaded or loaded into a transport. Tried to figure out what the cargo plane is, thought it was too fat for a C47 & has a retractable tail wheel as well. I'm fairly sure it's a Curtiss-Wright C46 Commando from photos I've looked up. The original pic is an official US Marine Corps photo which would possibly make it an R5C designation. It sure looks like one.Cheers, Willedoo.

I'll go with the C46 (or Navy equivalent) - the twin cargo doors are surely a clue along with the fat fuselage?

C46_Doors.jpg.64414b7ed5caad20f93fe19d46292d20.jpg

I'll go with the C46 (or Navy equivalent) - the twin cargo doors are surely a clue along with the fat fuselage?

Yes, looks like it. Found a photo, not very high res, of a C46 with what looks like twin doors & it also has the same line on the aft upper fuselage just below the tail. Have no idea what this is, as it's hard to find detailed photos. I'd guess it's either a strengthening rib or something to do with the aerodynamics & airflow around the tailplane. Given it's date of production & slow speed, maybe it's not an aerodynamic feature.

Cheers, Willie.

C-46.jpg.0071a00911edac1451e944f6bdd29a71.jpg