Gyroplanes

Hello,

I see the latest RAA Mag has articles/adds for these gyroplanes.

They look quite flash and well made.(looking at the web sites.)

Is it true that the rotors are not actually powered in flight but use somesort of aerodynamic effect to turn?

What would be the effects of an engine failure?

Regards,

RJM

Hi RJM,

Gyroplanes use autorotation to keep the disc spinning, I think it could be described as being similer to a sail boat that is sailing into the wind. The blades need to be spun up to a given speed, then as the craft moves forward the airflow through the disc keeps them going. When the blades reach their optimum speed the disc has enough lift to allow the craft to fly.

This is probably a bit simplistic, but I'm no expert!

As for engine failure, those who fly them will tell you that they are the safest aircraft around as they can be landed on a postage stamp!

The main rotor is autorotating all the time, and is not driven by the engine, so if the engine stops, all that happens is you gently decend to earth. They do land very short indeed, with almost no landing roll.

Some more sophisticated gyro's have 'pre-rotaters' that spin the blades up prior to the takeoff roll, and some can even 'jump' into the air, giving helicopter like performance. They cannot hover, unless flying into a headwind that matches their minimum flying speed, as the blades need that airflow to generate enough lift.

Hope this helps...

Gerry....

All the above may be true but I believe they can be difficult to fly, especially for a pilot used to fixed wing. They do not have a safety record in line with their supposed safety features.

Those with experience may be able to shoot me down, so don't hold back.

Thanks for your reply gents.

I always thought of them as a bit of a death trap.

Perhaps it was just the homebuilt single seaters and the self taught pilots that

caused some accidents and gave them a bad reputation?

I always thought that "If the engine stops, you drop like a rock".

Good to see there's some sort of glide ability.

I can't see a problem with the training these days if these factory two seaters are used.

Regards,

RJM

Guest brentc

The trouble is that most of them are 'home-built' because the majority are single seaters. There is a bit of a history of cowboys involved with them but they have cleaned themselves up a lot with regard to proper training practices and checks etc. Many a gyro pilot are self taught and many unfortunately didn't make it. I agree that they are a brilliant machine in the right hands when operated correctly and can do many cool things that would impress many a fixed wing pilot, but pushing the envelope ever so slightly without experience can end your flight prematurely with a bad result.

Like all machines, they're safe as long as you stick to the rules, and the rules that kills gyro pilots is never to get into negative g. There must ALWAYS be an upward air flow through the rotors to keep them rotating. Tilt that rotor too far/fast forward and you're in trouble.

While I don't fly one, I did come into recreational aviation with a view to flying gyros but found that they did not really fulfill my quest for for long distance travel. They are really smooth to fly in, and I was astounded at their stability in strong winds. They can certainly out perform any three axis or weight shift in respect of flyable weather.

Doug

They are supposed to be able to fly in all conditions, but I notice that when they are at Old Station they are first up in the morning and then don't fly during the warmer part of the day and then go flying late in the day up to and sometime past last light.

Guest Rocko

What about insurance? I read somewhere it's very difficult to get aircraft coverage for trikes and gyro's, although I may be completely wrong there. Are they insurable? And, just out of curiousity, how much strip do the newer ones need to takeoff and land? Could be a good option where you don't have a nice 800m strip handy ;)

I remember as a kid in Tassie growing up 30 years ago, there was a guy who'd pull up to a beach near Stanley, pull the gyro off his trailer, take off in no distance flat, then land within meters of his trailer again. Coolest thing I ever remember seeing....and actually made me interested in light aircraft from a very young age ;)

Scotty