Auster Fly-in To Middlebrook Station 28/4/12

Guest DWB

Here is a video I took at the Auster Fly-In at Middlebrook Station at Scone NSW. Please note there is no sound for the first 3 & a bit minutes. Don't think anyone wants to hear the sound of a Rotax & the wind at 100kts.

Forum member kaz3g's Auster is there - BYM. I caught up with her briefly.

Nice vid Dex.

By coincidence, I was copying an old VHS video recorded off Ch 7 a few years ago to DVD. The telemovie was Fields of Fire Ep 3, based in the canefields of Qld in the 1950's. I had the video/DVD player running wthout the TV on, but turned it on just as one of the characters took off in an Auster and flew it into the canefields, flipping it on it's back. The rego was VH-KAL, and here is the Ed Coates Collection entry on that aircraft-- http://www.edcoatescollection.com/ac1/austcl/VH-KAL.html.

The bottom photo shows the colorscheme it had in the movie.

Guest ozzie

I remember that episode. The Auster was set up for spraying. Had what looked like a 44 gallon drum of chemical strapped in the back seat.

The young bloke flying didn't make it.

Here is a video I took at the Auster Fly-In at Middlebrook Station at Scone NSW.

Great stuff; and the incident with the Tigers is a) scary & b) educational, so no concerns on my behalf that you should have chosen to show it.

BTW, did I detect a slightly less serious wake-induced instability in the #2 Tiger's lift off?

did I detect a slightly less serious wake-induced instability in the #2 Tiger's lift off?

Yes you did. Actually it must have been a wake turbulence type day, if there is such a thing. You may notice the Zephyr rock & roll right at the beginning of the video. On what was a dead calm flight for 20 minutes, I at that time was tracking directly behind a Foxbat about 200 m in front (you can see it if you look closely) I believe what made the Z unstable was wake turbulence from the Foxbat & what struck me as strange at the time was the lack of aileron input having any effect on it.