Prospective CPL-H

Aussie Steve

G'day everyone. I'm a low 100 hr RAAus Pilot (turning 50 in 2013) looking to make a career in choppers.

I'm currently doing my Homework on the likely hood of being able to secure a job at the end of the course. Any help and advice would be most welcome

Guest Howard Hughes

Hi Stick Man and welcome to aircraft pilots. Don't know much about the heli scene, but my advice would be don't ever give up! It's the persistent ones that make it in the end. To get a start, places to look for work would be mustering and/or scenics, sorry I couldn't be more help and good luck with the new career.

Guest Howard Hughes

No I'm not the real Howard from Ballina, named after the Fedora wearing one! :bigwink:

Ps: I do get on the bladeslapper forum from time to time.

• 1 month later...

Hi Stick man,

Good on you for following your dream through to this point, I went on the same path in the early 90s but through lack of finance, guts and scholarley aptitude I failed the exam (twice), so I turned away from CPLH,(which was my mistake) with just private un restricted and took up mustering with my Gyro.

But it lead me to getting a gig (still in the industry) working with big choppers in the Maldives, then flying Microlights in Africa for 2000 Hours, and am still flying microlights here.

I would sugest to look at getting the endorsements on types that are used in the tourist and mining/survey industry (206 Jetranger/ B47 /R44) as soon as you can, as the mustering industry leans toward employing young skilled cowboys(literaly) and teaching them flying, rather than starting with a good pilot then teaching them cattle.

Im guessing that at 50 you prob would not be so interested in sleeping in swag in hangar and washing choppers, waiting for the honnor of ferrying R22s (unpaid) for your first 100 hours then mustering in machines that are over hours and under powered till you have the required 500 hours and can thus be insured.

The mustering game is tough.

At our age, and with low hours we are more employable as "people pilots" cos we look more experianced and trustworthy,can communicate well,and will show up early and well presented each day.

You have prob heard and seen peoples negative reaction ( unfounded) when they jump into a Cessna for a scenic and later exclaim "the pilot looked 19", so there are some advantages to being a more mature pilot.

Anyway Im sure you know what it takes to succeed in other fields, so apply your positive attitude, dont be discoraged, employ the best training, and you will eventualy get there.

Wishing you the very best.

Regards John

Hi John, thanks for that great reply. I definitely need some inspiration. I,ve not had the best response around the traps in regards to my age. (the flying schools say "no worries")

I,ve even been considering doing a Fixed Wing CPL. But my real ambition is Heli. But the fixed wing will be a bit cheaper if it all falls over like it did for you.

My wife,s getting a bit nervous too about the whole thing and I have to keep her on the boil or I,m stuffed. lol.

She has every right to be concerned if I cant get a return on out investment promptly.:stupid:

I might be better off investing in a B-Double license, at least I will start earning good money immediately.drive.gif.1181dd90fe7c8032bdf2550324f37d56.gif

Hi John, thanks for that great reply. I definitely need some inspiration. I,ve not had the best response around the traps in regards to my age. (the flying schools say "no worries")I,ve even been considering doing a Fixed Wing CPL. But my real ambition is Heli. But the fixed wing will be a bit cheaper if it all falls over like it did for you.

My wife,s getting a bit nervous too about the whole thing and I have to keep her on the boil or I,m stuffed. lol.

She has every right to be concerned if I cant get a return on out investment promptly.:stupid:

I might be better off investing in a B-Double license, at least I will start earning good money immediately.drive.gif.1181dd90fe7c8032bdf2550324f37d56.gif

Stick man,

Yes Im hearing you, but sometimes you just have to back yourself, once you have made the decission you will find plenty of determination and drive.

Not sure if its still the case but you may be able to complete up to 70 hours on fixed wing then the last 35 on rotary to complete your CPL-H, that gives you some options re going through with the CPL fixed wing if you find there are openings ahead of you, and the training rate on fixed wing is less than doing the full 105 hours on chopper.

Your Rec flying hours may be counted in that , worth looking into.

Schools will tell you that doing the whole 105 rotary will increase your chances of finding a paying job, but its not always so.

One very good school is PHS (Ron Newman and son) in victoria, another is chopperline in QLD which turns out more students mainly aimed at the mustering jobs, if I were to start again it would be with the Newmans, who (may) offer you work at the Ayers Rock Resort flying their R44 and B206 straight out of school, they only employ their own students.

It will cost around $50K to do the whole 105 hours on rotary, but by the time you are half way (private licence@50 Hrs) you will know whether you are going to get a start if you talk to prospective employers and are pro active with your self promotion, your instructor will aim you at who to speak to as its not to early to start talking yourself up while at the flying school.

Whatever you decide the first step (and it should be done first) is a full Com medical.

Cheers John.

Stick man,Yes Im hearing you, but sometimes you just have to back yourself, once you have made the decission you will find plenty of determination and drive.

Not sure if its still the case but you may be able to complete up to 70 hours on fixed wing then the last 35 on rotary to complete your CPL-H, that gives you some options re going through with the CPL fixed wing if you find there are openings ahead of you, and the training rate on fixed wing is less than doing the full 105 hours on chopper.

Your Rec flying hours may be counted in that , worth looking into.

Schools will tell you that doing the whole 105 rotary will increase your chances of finding a paying job, but its not always so.

One very good school is PHS (Ron Newman and son) in victoria, another is chopperline in QLD which turns out more students mainly aimed at the mustering jobs, if I were to start again it would be with the Newmans, who (may) offer you work at the Ayers Rock Resort flying their R44 and B206 straight out of school, they only employ their own students.

It will cost around $50K to do the whole 105 hours on rotary, but by the time you are half way (private licence@50 Hrs) you will know whether you are going to get a start if you talk to prospective employers and are pro active with your self promotion, your instructor will aim you at who to speak to as its not to early to start talking yourself up while at the flying school.

Whatever you decide the first step (and it should be done first) is a full Com medical.

Cheers John.

Thanks again John.

I checked out PHS online and they do sound the way to go. However being in Melb rules it out for me as I have to keep working to be able to afford the training in the first place, so Sydney is really the best option for me.

I,m looking for a school that does their Flight Theory in house and nearly all of them send you up to QLD Advanced Flight Theory. Or there,s a new one in Sydney called Heli Theory Australia. http://www.helitheory.com.au/

I can travel to there in under 2 hrs from home so its probably my only option.

RE my Rec Pilot Cert adding to my hrs is pretty much a definite NO.

Even though the syllabus is the same with out the instrument training or Controlled Airspace they wont look at it.

Anyway I have to wait until after June before I can even do a TIF as we have a long overdue holiday booked (a year ago) to Cairns and my wife has an operation coming up in June so once all of this has settled down I can start moving on some actual lessons.

Steve