Has anyone done a lolly drop before?

rdarby

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

SPOT landings can be funny too with the techniques employed by some to end up with a "shocker" landing. I saw a Qantas 747 come down the ILS at 16 Sydney and realise about 800 feet of the runway was notammed U/S due works, He saw the displaced threshold eventually, and he dragged the flying block of flats with take -off power for the whole distance at about 60 feet. Not one of his greatest moments . Nev

• Like 1

love the spot landings, had a young FI get shirty cause I dumped the flaps in a wurrier just at touch down, still scored alright ,but he gave me heaps about it ,,,,,till the CFI recounted a story about helping a young woman win a comp by dumping the flaps for her ,,she won !

I don't get to many of the comps but always have a good day when I do, we've got one next Sunday at Coldstream with a BBQ lunch, all welcome !! (shameless plug now done)

Matty

• Like 2

If we want to get all nerdy about it we can probably figure out the terminal velocity of various sweets, given their surface area and their drag co-efficient.

Anybody know the drag co-efficient on a marshmellow? Using 0.3 (roughly the same as a bullet), 2cm^2 cross sectional area and 5.7 grams per marshmellow i get a terminal velocity of 126km/h... a drag co-efficient of 1 (roughly the same as a human) gives a terminal velocity of about 70km/h.

CalcTool (here) is kind of fun when your imagining ballistic marshmellow impacts on kids heads. calculating the impact force is also fun.

*must suppress evil laughter, must suppress evil laubawahahahahhahaaaaaaa*

• Like 2

you could probably do it with a cool mint or cool fruit.... those are reasonably smooth and aerodynamic.

I think i've stuffed up my maths somewhere... i'm getting roughly 39kg impulse force on the kids head from a 70km/h 5.7gram marshmellow (assumed 2cm long). Anybody know how to solve this right?

you could probably do it with a cool mint or cool fruit.... those are reasonably smooth and aerodynamic.I think i've stuffed up my maths somewhere... i'm getting roughly 39kg impulse force on the kids head from a 70km/h 5.7gram marshmellow (assumed 2cm long). Anybody know how to solve this right?

get a dumbass kid with a high pain thresh hold, should handle the impact I reckon, problem solved, glad I could help!

Years ago I witnessed a lolly drop done at a school fete with an RC model. It was a really windy day & not enough allowance was made for the drift. This resulted in the majority of the lollies landing in the backyard of a house adjacent to the school oval. Picture a rabid pack of kids scrambling over the fence at high speed, only to start back-peddling mid air (cartoon style) as the kids realised the yard contained a large & not so friendly dog!

• Haha 1

Yes, I've done several, and yes, make sure you get the dispensation to drop items from an aircraft, you'll need a CAR157 dispensation or a low level endorsement, well plan it and make sure you think it out very well, high school ovals are ideal or areas that have a clear approach and departure with few obstacles, have ground helpers to clear the drop area and approaches, have some streamers for wind strength and direction and account for this, I did a few practise runs at the strip before the day.

To add to the above relevant advice: (1) use a dropper-you won't have time to do it all yourself (2) avoid low speed/high drag configurations using flap and low power - use what you'd use for a precautionary runway inspection (3) always fly the drop run upwind (4) finally- case the area beforehand if possible from the ground, then at least a wide 360 recce before going down to drop height

happy days,

When I was about 14 I recall attending a fly-in at Woodside Airstrip in SA and watching a cowboy in an auto gyro do a lolly drop on the main runway. Must have been his first time as we discovered quite quickly that a boiled sweet and a wooden pusher prop don't mix. After the impromptu landing we observed the last 6 inches of the prop had splintered. I still remember the younger kids running onto the airstrip to retrieve the lollies when the *crack* noise came from the airframe. Some times I wonder how I got out of the 90's in one piece.

No lolly shall have as a constituent element any:-

1) preservatives, whether natural or unnatural

2) sugar, or artificial sweeteners

3) anything that has been shown at some point in time to be an allergan to a human somewhere

4) No Lipitor (ABC showed it was bad!!!)

5) product that can be shown to have contributed to global warming and release of carbon dioxide

6) NBN...cause that simply costs too much and besides a wireless lolly will do just as well

Phew....silliness over for the most parts for another post!

Andy

Instead of lollies, maybe we should do baked beans, carefully washed of the tomato sauce of course. (or if you don't like the crowd, still in the tin).

Because as Tony Windsor said, "Do it once, do it right, do it with fibre!"

How about using popcorn instead? It wouldn't take any eyes out, and it'd be funny to land the plane before it hit the ground.

I have found out more from CASA directly. You need CASA permission, and to get that you fill in an application form. CASA then does a risk assessment of the operation, and they charge $160 an hour to do that. It will take 2 to 3 hours. What they didn't say but what I heard is that it is a headache and not worth applying for.

• Informative 1

Welcome to CASA and their fees.For those who think the RPL is the answer, and have not yet had the dubious pleasure of dealing with CASA direct, it could be a learning curve.

Yes.....the RPL will be good news for RPC's shifting over to GA via the RPL just to fly heavier aircraft about in Class G airspace. It will also provide aspiring PPL's with a cheaper entry pathway through the ab initio stages. But to be fair, Frank - our own RAAus Ops can't give anyone 'permission' to low fly over any location and conduct a dropping operation while there. Only CASA can approve that - and they obviously have reservations about untrained pilots doing these types of operation. It was only a year or so back when an instructor wrapped up a C182 doing a low pass over a family party in Tin Can Bay, (or close to there??). And there are plenty more grisly examples of people hitting the dirt while conducting low level flight.

Doing this sort of operation over built up areas, with an admiring crowd closeby, is fraught with risk - even if it were to be flown by a well qualified pilot. I believe that the risk assessment would involve factors such as the pilots flying experience, whether they had low flying training, and the site considerations. Yes, CASA can be bloodyminded over many things, but in many respects I can identify with their reticence. Maybe that's why they have upgraded the low flying course, (previously under CAO 29.10), to a full blown low level rating, (renewable every 2 years), under CASR Part 61 - which must surely then flow on to an upgrade of the RAAus Low Level Endorsement? I think the bleeding obvious here is that if you ain't trained and capable of a comprehensive risk assessment of the exercise - don't do it!

happy days,

• Winner 1

we do a flour bombing comp at our club pretty regularly, it's surprisingly difficult from 500 feet to it a target,,,,,but incredibly easy to nearly hit a cessna,,,,go figure !

Hope it wasn't our Cessna ;-)