Part 61 delayed?

Guest ozzie

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So they say that many don't understand the changes being made.... HULLOOOO no one has been able to understand anything that has come out of CASAs offices over the last 20 years so what is the problem ops normal as far as I see. Implement the thing and sort it out along the way that's how it's always been done. And lets go flying.

So they say that many don't understand the changes being made.... HULLOOOO no one has been able to understand anything that has come out of CASAs offices over the last 20 years so what is the problem ops normal as far as I see. Implement the thing and sort it out along the way that's how it's always been done. And lets go flying.

As usual, it's the dumb aviation industry who don't understand. Oh, the arrogance and hubris of this mob. They couldn't answer most of the questions put to them, the MOS is unfinished and in parts quite inadequate, and they want to shift the blame onto us? Everyone needs to pass comment directly onto Minister Truss's website with advice to ensure this is taken to his new 'Review' panel. unhappy days!!

• Agree 4

Guest Maj Millard

This was bound to happen when CASA took what is in the states a 'keep it simple stupid' system (FAA FARS) , and in their usual form 'CASArize' it to the point where not only can nobody understand it, but it could never be effective anyway.

Don't tell me that they are actually listening to people at their 'information seminars' when your average user says "this is nothing but unnecessary "bull shxx" !!..........Fire the lot of them I say...................Maj.......013_thumb_down.gif.ec9b015e1f55d2c21de270e93cbe940b.gif

The same CASA management that have been there for a while are still there now. I would say at this point the new government's effect on the CASA is minimal. Without regulatory change the "culture" of the CASA is not likely to change. Change of personnel at the top might help. . Actually Truss's inquiry just might be able to look into this. If you are interested check with AOPA..Some MOST, other countries do it better..Nev

Guest Maj Millard
The "information seminar" I attended was pretty uncomfortable when the questions started and the CASA experts couldn't answer many of them,,,,lots of feet shuffling and "we'll get back to you " ,Matty

That's about all you ever got, in my experience . They really weren't too prepared to answer too many questions with facts................Maj......

So it's just a delay, no changes? Like perhaps the pointless medical system which may as well be a class 2?

The Drivers Licence Medical is still there. It exists as CASA Instrument EX68/12. It is proving popular but because of some implementation issues CASA may take up to 28 days to issue the confirmation after submission of the completed medical certificate and supporting paperwork. There is no way to extend an expired certificate so if CASA is being slow you might find that you are grounded unless you plan for the worst. this can mean that the effective validity is 1 month shorter than you might expect. 050_sad_angel.gif.66bb54b0565953d04ff590616ca5018b.gif

Casa - "Despite CASA’s education and information campaign on the new licensing regulations many pilots and people working in flying training are only starting to understand the new rules."

It's our fault don't you know! We just don't understand what they don't understand

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

The "information seminar" I attended was pretty uncomfortable when the questions started and the CASA experts couldn't answer many of them,,,,lots of feet shuffling and "we'll get back to you " ,Matty

It is interesting to see other views of the seminars. I suppose it would depend on what questions were asked. The one I attended in Townsville there was no question asked that wasn't fully explained - it might have been an easier crowd. They even offered to answer any other questions privately if someone wished.

There was about 30/40 pilots, mostly PPLs & CPL/instructors,fixed wing & rotary. 5 RAA pilots that I knew but 4 of them were either PPL or CPL holders as well.

There appeared to be a lack of interest locally from the RAA community - I don't know why - just an observation.

• Informative 1

The same CASA management that have been there for a while are still there now. I would say at this point the new government's effect on the CASA is minimal. Without regulatory change the "culture" of the CASA is not likely to change. Change of personnel at the top might help. . Actually Truss's inquiry just might be able to look into this. If you are interested check with AOPA..Some MOST, other countries do it better..Nev

The Truss enquiry may well be an opportunity for RAA - or at least RAA-class operators - to present a case for rationalisation of the CASA-imposed web of regulations and rules that affect us. It will take a strong case backed by good arguments (not just a 'bloody CASA is a pain in the arse'-type statements that we hear too often even coming from some members of the RAA Board, that do nothing to further our interests). Some other sectors of the aviation community are moving swiftly to get a decent hearing; RAA should do likewise.

A few of the areas I would suggest could be leading points:

Resolution of the use of RAA-registered aircraft for certain types of 'commercial' activity, where it can be demonstrated that neither the aircraft type and limitations, pilot competence nor the type of use presents a safety issue provided it is not used outside other overarching safety regulations (e.g. - VFR operation, airspace division, etc.);

MTOW limitations simply because they happen to align with ICAO determinations (Australian manufacturers who wish to sell into other countries can continue, as they have already done, to produce a variant model that meets the foreign territory limitations), thus allowing us to have aircraft that are sensible to this region's distances and atmospheric conditions such as gust loading cases;

An acceptance of the potential value of encouraging relatively low-cost aviation activities in improving the uptake of de-centralisation and the development of regional areas by the adoption by CASA of a philosophy of assisting the activity rather than just working to muzzle it by the imposition of rules and regulations that have little or no real safety improvement outcomes.

• Caution 1

"Resolution of the use of RAA-registered aircraft for certain types of 'commercial' activity"

I would stay completely away from any form of commercial activity, other then pilot training, as the opposition from operators would be extreme - maintenance costs and CPL costs, AOC etc. I would submit would kill any proposal on these lines from the very start.

• Agree 1

I really don't believe CASA are suspending the implementation for nearly 12 months because "some pilots do not understand the new rule"

It is obvious that they (casa) have no real idea of how to convey information even to those who have a deep knowledge of 'casa speak'. Road rules are written in abreviated booklet form so as the average person can understand them and CASA could do the same - did do the same with the VFG - but now cannot explain it even at a public forum. If a politician were to do the same we would not vote for them but these people are regulating how we fly and the rules that we fly with.

It may well be the case that they have a good idea but no idea how to implement it. What is the problem with reintroducing the old restricted license but limiting passenger numbers to one?

CASA has announced that the implementation of legislation relating to Part 61, 141 & 142 has been deferred from 04 December 2013 to September 2014 - a period of 9 months.

This is largely as a result of pressure from AOPA and other industry bodies/organisations seeking clarification from CASA regarding certain anomalies which appeared in the proposed legislation changes.

AOPA will continue to work for the benefit of its members and the industry as a whole.

Please contact [email protected] with any queries.

• Like 1

I would stay completely away from any form of commercial activity, other then pilot training, ... I would submit would kill any proposal on these lines from the very start.

Frank would you include the ability of say a plumber flying themselves to a remote site and taking their basic tools, because as I understand it at the moment that is not available.

Chris

Well having been to 2 of the CASA presentations on the new Part 61 I would have to say pilots would have to be grouped with some of the stupidest people on the planet. I'd like to think of myself as a stand-out however my grasp of the whiz-wheel technology drags me back down...

The only real change that the recreational GA pilots were going to see immediately was they'll get a new licence in the mail. The amount of times I heard the CASA presenters making this statement was quite unbelievable. That and so many of the "but i'm a night-rated frozen ATPL and CPL holder with an american licence who only flies in the right-hand seat (because I prefer it and why doesn't everyone etc...) of my SAAA-registered RV7 but I get paid by my wife who flies in the left-hand seat so I can claim a tax break and you're taking away my right to fly" statements...

• Like 1