Announcement

Admin

Hi All

Next week (w/e 1st Dec 2013) I will be moving to Brisbane to take up full time employment there. What this means in terms of running this site, I will not be in a position to provide instant help, support or communications of any kind during the day. I will only have the evenings in which to reply or perform any work on the site...I apologise if this becomes an inconvenience to you the users of this great resource.

Running the site properly and providing the best service I can has been a full time job in recent years however that has never provided an income and as such has been a "love" job in the interest of providing everyone with a resource that they can call upon at any time for help and support in their flying endeavors. But, recently the site has been completely rebuilt and I think it is purring along really well thanks to all of you and specially Ahlocks, the chief moderator and his band of merry men, the silent moderators...thanks so much you guys.

Corrine will continue doing the Clear Prop Shop from Melbourne and I will return to Melbourne on the odd weekend when flights are cheap but for the next year I will be Brisbane based and I will advise later of a phone number that you can always contact me on in the evenings for any site issues, comments etc etc etc.

One final thing...I need to find accommodation in Brisbane as close to the CBD as possible. More specifically I am after a self contained preferably furnished apartment, unit etc that I can rent for the next year. Please, if by some small chance that you have an investment property that is becoming vacant or know of one or know someone in the business, can you please contact me URGENTLY...I would be forever grateful.

To all you forumites around the Brisbane area, hopefully we can catch up and have a drink some time throughout next year...thanks

• Like 3

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Maj Millard

Andrew, good luck with the new position. I recently stayed overnight in Brisbane on Kingsford Smith Drive, at place called the Airport Ascot motel at 550 Kingsford Smith Drive. Very clean and modern, and a short walk to the river ferry terminal which would take you downtown. Also a short walk to a street with many restaurants, one which had the finest shushi I have ever tasted. They also run their own transport to the airport which is only 15 mins from there.

I plan stay there again, and I would certainly recommend it.......they may do permanent rates, or may do until you find someting more permanent............Maj.......014_spot_on.gif.1f3bdf64e5eb969e67a583c9d350cd1f.gif

Welcome to QLD Ian, Gods country.. :whistling:Love to catch up for a drink sometime mate, 026_cheers.gif.2a721e51b64009ae39ad1a09d8bf764e.gif you have my mobile number and email addy give me a call once you get settled...

On the accomodation front, do an internet search around Spring Hill area, that is right next to the city, you will find some studio's and 1 bed appartments in that area, a lot are furnished, not sure of the rents..maybe $250 +P/W..

David

• Like 1

Those surveys are a crock...what was the criteria they are based on....Calgary I have worked and spent time there..for 5 months of the year its below zero degrees and gets to -40 degC...do you call that liveable??????...I don't I have been there at 31degC and I can tell you its no fun. Vienna????... ok if you like smog and old crap around the place... I have spent a lot of time in all major cities except Darwin (only been there once for a few days...way too bloody hot there).....Brisbane has the best climate not too many extreme temps and most of the time stable weather...we DONT get 4 seasons in one day..and I have been many times in Melbourne where it has been at least 4 a day

I think Ian that you will spend most of your time trying to convince the Mrs to move up here with you....once you have lived here for a little bit I can assure you that you wont want to go back to grey old melbourne

I moved to Melbourne for a few years and then when I left Vic to move to Qld my friends said it was a good thing because it would improve the IQ of both States. I'm still thinking about that one ... undecided.gif.ab799fba70585135a4a5e622285fc63d.gif

• Haha 2

What! Are you serious .... Surveys a crock nooooo 079_throw_pc.gif.e071c8f36d135c7f050383c74279afc6.gif

I'm pretty sure the criteria is based on how good the gravy train is when the surveyors come to visit

Regards Bill

Ps I should have added a smiley of some sort to the first post but they really play havoc with the iPad

Thanks Guys, it's going to be a challenge but it is a real good job and no point being where the work aint...still desperately looking for some form of accom for up to 12mths in the Milton/Brisbane City area (budget $300 to $400 a week) so if you know any real estate agents for that area please let me know urgently.

Worst thing is that it is a snr exec job which means monthly pay so I won't get my first pay till end of Jan...might have to find many friends who can spare a meal 018_hug.gif.8f44196246785568c4ba31412287795a.gif however once settled the old "Lite 'n' Easy" meals might be the go.

Will be leaving at 4am tomorrow (Tues) and hope to get there Wed morning

If you are short of time looking , you might find something that will do for now. Long term will get you a good discount sometimes and as long as the room is quiet its important to get NEAR what you want most.ie amenities and your workplace. Walking distance Ian. Exercise!!!. and wheels are a nuisance and expensive in a city if you are organised well. More trouble than they are worth. Good Luck. ( though it's more than luck). Give us a ring if you need a chat. Nev

Ian,

I work with some guys that are up from Sydney and they renting a house through a real estate agency called Rout Brothers Real Estate at Morningside, I have not got their phone numbers but I am sure you google them you will find them...good luck mate.

David

Ive lived 21 years in Melbourne and 21 years in Brisbane with 2 years in Canberra inbetween - surveys don't mean crap, Brisbane is by far more livable than Melbourne, 8 months of perfect weather year round, a couple cold and a couple hot.

• Agree 1

Depends what they mean by livable. For example, Melbourne's public transport network is miles ahead of Brisbane's (have used both extensively). If you don't like the cold, Brissy is great, but if you don't like humidity, Brissy is great to avoid.

Best of luck with the employment and move Ian.

Guest Maj Millard

Brisbane, or Qld for that matter is not country for porridge slurping, latte drinking, croc wearing mummy's boys....not that I'm inferring your any of those Ian.

They say Melbourne is not the arsehxxx of the country, but that on a clear day you can certainly see it from there !............... 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif 087_sorry.gif.8f9ce404ad3aa941b2729edb25b7c714.gif..... I think............Maj.....

Guest Andys@coffs
Brisbane, or Qld for that matter is not country for porridge slurping, latte drinking, croc wearing mummy's boys....not that I'm inferring your any of those Ian.They say Melbourne is not the arsehxxx of the country, but that on a clear day you can certainly see it from there !............... 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif 087_sorry.gif.8f9ce404ad3aa941b2729edb25b7c714.gif..... I think............Maj.....

I dunno Maj...I reckon Ive seen a few newspaper reports of FnQ'slanders wearing a croc....while it ate them.....

"Mind the maneating croc on your left...try not to stand on one of the most aggressive and poisonous snakes in the world....and there are a few different types up there...on your right...don't swim in the ocean...the tiny almost impossible to see irranjaki (sp?) jellyfish can knock you off....and then theres the odd cyclone that'll knock you off if the heat and humidity doesn't get to you first.......Oh and by the way....watch out for the maneating fungus that can affect pits, crotches and those with boobs who now fail the pencil test due passage of time and kids...and toes......

I mean what's not to like?

Andy

Guest Maj Millard
I dunno Maj...I reckon Ive seen a few newspaper reports of FnQ'slanders wearing a croc....while it ate them....."Mind the maneating croc on your left...try not to stand on one of the most aggressive and poisonous snakes in the world....and there are a few different types up there...on your right...don't swim in the ocean...the tiny almost impossible to see irranjaki (sp?) jellyfish can knock you off....and then theres the odd cyclone that'll knock you off if the heat and humidity doesn't get to you first.......Oh and by the way....watch out for the maneating fungus that can affect pits, crotches and those with boobs who now fail the pencil test due passage of time and kids...and toes......

I mean what's not to like?

Andy

Like I said , not here for the weak, or the faint of heart, and we play a solid 80 minutes of real man football up here also........Maj.....014_spot_on.gif.1f3bdf64e5eb969e67a583c9d350cd1f.gif