Supercat

eaglei

Guest Andys@coffs

if you search for supercat on these forums and are prepared to go back a number of years there are some posts about the supercat.....the one coming to mind talks of a specific aircraft and some of its suprising (in a terrifying way) behaviours, if I recall correctly. At the end of the day, and this is true no matter what aircraft, Caveat Emptor to the max!!!

Don't buy until you know what you are buying, or have an independent expert you can rely on

just keep studying the planes (and the numbers therein) for sale in the Sport Pilot mag eaglei ............ There are other sources as well

......... good time to buy (planes might get even cheaper - could be a bad time yo buy)

• Like 1

There are always mobs of aircraft for sale. Do lots of research and you may be able to avoid the one that will send you broke or kill you. Some are rare and little-known, but well worth considering. This Druine Turbulent might still be available:

AT100 19-4864, built under 101.28, brand new with permit, 0 hrs. Single seat wooden, VW 1835cc. Expect 90+kts cruise, stall 32kts. 14 lph, total 401. Dual ign. (Bendix mag. + coil), 25A alt. Fifth plans – built by experienced builder. $23,000 ono. Ph 02 4351 1437 or email [email protected] for more pics etc.

• Informative 1
  • Caution 1

There are always mobs of aircraft for sale. Do lots of research and you may be able to avoid the one that will send you broke or kill you. Some are rare and little-known, but well worth considering. This Druine Turbulent might still be available:AT100 19-4864, built under 101.28, brand new with permit, 0 hrs. Single seat wooden, VW 1835cc. Expect 90+kts cruise, stall 32kts. 14 lph, total 401. Dual ign. (Bendix mag. + coil), 25A alt. Fifth plans – built by experienced builder. $23,000 ono. Ph 02 4351 1437 or email [email protected] for more pics etc.

"Old Koreelah, I think if I spend that much I would look at a two seat,I looked at a kitfox for 22k in my area,then a supercat on gumtree for 6500 including reged caravan,thought I could put the saved cash into my house to keep the 2ic happy yet I would at least be airbourne..

"Old Koreelah, I think if I spend that much I would look at a two seat,I looked at a kitfox for 22k in my area,then a supercat on gumtree for 6500 including reged caravan,thought I could put the saved cash into my house to keep the 2ic happy yet I would at least be airbourne..

Agree. Very important to spend time and money on maintenance of that most important component:the 2ic.

• Haha 1

I think flyerme had a supercat, a mate built one aswell I think, ended up crashing it , he flys a Skyfox well so I don't know if the cat was a problem or some other cause,

I also have a mate who might be selling his Kitfox soon, nice plane ,

Matty

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
Cheers,bout half way through training,and not rushing into an aircraft purchase.Just researching

im in the same boat except not half way ,just started but its free to look and a great way to get knowledge

• Agree 1

• 8 months later...

Just my opinion and all that I have spoken too that has flown one! Avoid!

The original design is very short coupled with an inadiquit tail plane( too small)

It has been taken over by 3 people each re designing it. I was in contact with the current owner of plans and he redesigned with longer fuse and larger tail plane which apparently made the plane more stable? Mine was original and a hand full on the calmest smoothest days... It was very unstable! A cfi once told me he had to ferry a supercat only 30 nm ,but he ended up turning 180 and landing , stating he'd never fly another supercat .. I named mine happily " supercrap".. IMO. Stay well away and I could also throw in all the fatalities( 1 of which was not structural).. 1 fatality was the 2nd owner of plans and redesigner. The left wing failed ! The only good thing about my experience was "THE EXPERIENCE ". Fly that contraption well, and you'll fly anything well! The nieuport is a puppy in comparison

Here's a vid of the pitch and slip/ skid issues more so on final ,keeping in mind it was a very smooth calm day . Hope this helps and is my opinion only.

I know it's a very late reply!lol. But it may help others thinking along theses lines?
  • Informative 1

I

The editorial decision to put one on the front cover of the magazine recently might have been a bit irresponsible then, or fulfilling another agenda altogether.

I believe the one on the cover is the unique built supercat. ( the only one this size)It's bigger and very stable and has a nice smoke system.

Just my opinion and all that I have spoken too that has flown one! Avoid!The original design is very short coupled with an inadiquit tail plane( too small)

It has been taken over by 3 people each re designing it. I was in contact with the current owner of plans and he redesigned with longer fuse and larger tail plane which apparently made the plane more stable? Mine was original and a hand full on the calmest smoothest days... It was very unstable! A cfi once told me he had to ferry a supercat only 30 nm ,but he ended up turning 180 and landing , stating he'd never fly another supercat .. I named mine happily " supercrap".. IMO. Stay well away and I could also throw in all the fatalities( 1 of which was not structural).. 1 fatality was the 2nd owner of plans and redesigner. The left wing failed ! The only good thing about my experience was "THE EXPERIENCE ". Fly that contraption well, and you'll fly anything well! The nieuport is a puppy in comparison

Here's a vid of the pitch and slip/ skid issues more so on final ,keeping in mind it was a very smooth calm day . Hope this helps and is my opinion only.

Thanks flyerme

• Like 1

This one was found sitting under a tree not far west of Currabubula. The most interesting feature was the 1600 Jab engine, the first I had seen. After years out in the weather it's bores are likely to be a tad rusty. Perhaps a good kid's playground item.

image.jpg.d0404670fb9fb68390fe630050ed0d45.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Just had to add my 2 cents worth about the Supercat - I purchased a semi-derelict one about a year ago, (for $2500 - who says aircraft cost lots), found there was nothing structurally wrong with it, gave it a Dulux overhaul, replaced a few bolts etc, and flew it today for the first time. After reading the posts on this forum I must admit to some trepidation but found it to be a pussycat. I had flown plenty of pitch-sensitive machines and found it no different. It was a bit difficult to keep straight - tended to yaw a bit, but otherwise fine. I wouldn't fly it in anything much over 10 knots of wind but as a paddock-hopper its great - gets off in under 50 meters, and lands in not much more - without brakes. Mine is open cockpit so the leather helmet and goggles got dragged out of storage and I landed feeling exhilarated ( and slightly relieved). This is what microlights (ultralights?) are (were) all about.

• Like 1
  • Winner 2

Just had to add my 2 cents worth about the Supercat - I purchased a semi-derelict one about a year ago, (for $2500 - who says aircraft cost lots), found there was nothing structurally wrong with it, gave it a Dulux overhaul, replaced a few bolts etc, and flew it today for the first time. After reading the posts on this forum I must admit to some trepidation but found it to be a pussycat. I had flown plenty of pitch-sensitive machines and found it no different. It was a bit difficult to keep straight - tended to yaw a bit, but otherwise fine. I wouldn't fly it in anything much over 10 knots of wind but as a paddock-hopper its great - gets off in under 50 meters, and lands in not much more - without brakes. Mine is open cockpit so the leather helmet and goggles got dragged out of storage and I landed feeling exhilarated ( and slightly relieved). This is what microlights (ultralights?) are (were) all about.

Congrats. Mate. Any pics?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 6 years later...

Hi microman I have a supercat open cockpit like yours I am yet to fly it as I have been doing some maintenance on it good to hear yours doesn't fly to bad hopefully mine will be the same, cheers The Baron

• 2 months later...
On 25/01/2015 at 6:07 PM, microman said:

An old post I know, but any news on how it’s been going? I’ve actually always liked the look of the Supercat, as I’ve always liked the utility and WW2 fighter type look of Ag aircraft. Yes short coupled, but one thing I think could be a problem, is the large upright canopy, disrupting airflow over the vertical fin, indeed almost blanking it off! The fact you have an open cockpit, is interesting because it has probably improved airflow over the tail? I remember reading about a Fisher Flying Products FP303, a very nice looking 3 axis micro lite, to which a builder had fitted a large enclosed canopy, over the normally open cockpit. This caused buffeting on the rudder in flight as I recall.  

Hi F10 - I flew the Supercat a couple of times - decided it wasnt quite what I was looking for and sold it. A pure fun machine - should only be flown in reasonably good conditions but no real vices that I could discern. No issues with rudder or elevator response.

• Like 1