Tell us about your last flight

Admin

I flew on Friday. Got to rotate speed and glanced at the ASI to see no reading, but decided it better to take off than to try and stop in the remaining space available. It was a wasp in the pitot, the ASI wound backward as I climbed. At destination, one of my better landings with no drama. Took the line off the ASI and blew it out with compressed air. I always wondered how I would handle loss of ASI and now I know it is not hard to land just based on attitude if you are familiar with the aircraft. One less thing to worry about in future. And I had ordered a pitot cover with some other stuff from Aircraft Spruce two days earlier, it should arrive next week.

• Like 3

I flew on Friday. Got to rotate speed and glanced at the ASI to see no reading, but decided it better to take off than to try and stop in the remaining space available. It was a wasp in the pitot, the ASI wound backward as I climbed. At destination, one of my better landings with no drama. Took the line off the ASI and blew it out with compressed air. I always wondered how I would handle loss of ASI and now I know it is not hard to land just based on attitude if you are familiar with the aircraft. One less thing to worry about in future. And I had ordered a pitot cover with some other stuff from Aircraft Spruce two days earlier, it should arrive next week.

Hi PMc This is my pitot cover, copied it from the glider guys at Kingaroy. Its a paper element filter stops the bugs etc.

Cheers

Mike

P1090145.JPG.d80f169c8c01773fb1ae22035484c2fc.JPG

pmmcarthy,

In my take off roll when I advance the throttle to full power I look at the tach making sure it is actually developing full power and say out loud "full power is attained", I glance at the ASI noting the needle is actually moving and say out loud "airspeed is alive" these are my main two cues for continuing my take off, as well as the usual T's & P's in the green after those.

It is just a habit I have gotten in to get in which might be helpful to others if they don't think of them, also a pitot cover is also a good thing which I always have on when the aircraft is on the ground

Alf

Good to check your airspeed alive early, but it isn't a guarantee that a partial blockage won't exist, and later in the roll or when airborne, give erroneous indications. A power confirmation is essential. On a critical length field a power check on brakes might be a good idea, too. Nev

Hi PMc This is my pitot cover, copied it from the glider guys at Kingaroy. Its a paper element filter stops the bugs etc.Cheers

Mike

Hi Mike,

I am curious about your use of a fuel filter on Pitot tube. From your comments I'm guessing the filter is permanently attached so would prevent insects entering tube when airborne and creating a blockage. If so does the filter create a slight obstruction to airflow and so affect ASI reading? If the filter is removed prior to flying, then does it perform any other function or benefit than a tightly fitting cap over Pitot tube end.?

Some times the reasons for actions are obvious but sometimes there is real science and thought involved so I thought I'd ask. Cheers Matt

It looks to me the fuel filter is inserted into some clear pipe and the pipe is in turn slipped over the end of the pitot.

I would guess it simply allows the air inside the tube and piping to remain the same as ambient air even during temp changes.

Notice the ribbon?

• Agree 1

It looks to me the fuel filter is inserted into some clear pipe and the pipe is in turn slipped over the end of the pitot.I would guess it simply allows the air inside the tube and piping to remain the same as ambient air even during temp changes.

Notice the ribbon?

Thx Kiwi,

After a closer look of the photo, I do see the clear plastic tube between filter and Pitot tube and the red ribbon tag between them.

You mentioned that the filter would allow air pressure balancing when temperatures vary. Is this important to allow for? Most Pitot covers I've spotted are simple sealed caps that wouldn't permit any pressure balancing. Cheers Matt

• Agree 1

Hi Mike,I am curious about your use of a fuel filter on Pitot tube. From your comments I'm guessing the filter is permanently attached so would prevent insects entering tube when airborne and creating a blockage. If so does the filter create a slight obstruction to airflow and so affect ASI reading? If the filter is removed prior to flying, then does it perform any other function or benefit than a tightly fitting cap over Pitot tube end.?

Some times the reasons for actions are obvious but sometimes there is real science and thought involved so I thought I'd ask. Cheers Matt

Hi Matt It is removed before flight, just that it stops anthing like mud wasps etc crawling in and making a mud home, blockages, whilst on the ground and in the hangar.

Cheers mike.

Mike, thanks for the clarification. I was wanting to understand whether you used the filter instead of a blank cap, plastic tube with melted closed or bent over, for a particular reason as per Kiwi's comment on air balancing.

Or is the filter just a handy fit to block of the plastic tube??

P.S. Not trying to labour the point, just keen to learn of better ways of doing.

Mike, thanks for the clarification. I was wanting to understand whether you used the filter instead of a blank cap, plastic tube with melted closed or bent over, for a particular reason as per Kiwi's comment on air balancing.Or is the filter just a handy fit to block of the plastic tube??

P.S. Not trying to labour the point, just keen to learn of better ways of doing.

No worries; like Kiwi said it alows the air pressure to balance.

Good to check your airspeed alive early, but it isn't a guarantee that a partial blockage won't exist, and later in the roll or when airborne, give erroneous indications. A power confirmation is essential. On a critical length field a power check on brakes might be a good idea, too. Nev

Correct Nev,

There is always a chance of a blockage or partial one forming during the takeoff roll, making sure the pitot cover is used while the aircraft is on the ground or stored is also a good thing to prevent such nasties finding a home

Have never flown in or out of a tight field as yet in the Tecnam but did many a time in the trike and used the brakes on power up trick a lot

Alf

Correct Nev,There is always a chance of a blockage or partial one forming during the takeoff roll, making sure the pitot cover is used while the aircraft is on the ground or stored is also a good thing to prevent such nasties finding a home

Have never flown in or out of a tight field as yet in the Tecnam but did many a time in the trike and used the brakes on power up trick a lot

Alf

Hi Alf and Nev, what do you mean by the phrases "brakes on power up" trick and "a power check on brakes". I'm guessing you're meaning confirming that brakes are functioning ie pedal pressure normal whilst you're airborne. On ground the brakes get checked during engine run up/mag checks etc by virtue of holding the plane stationary whilst the prop spins up. Is there some other check we should be doing? As always the advice and knowledge of other fellow pilots is respected and appreciated, Cheers Matt Walsh

Not meant to be a check of brakes. The technique is hold aircraft on brakes and power up the engines making sure they all reach acceptable full power levels and then release brakes. This, coupled with using every inch of runway maximises performance relating to the accelerate stop situation or near obstacle climb limited situation. Nev

[ATTACH=full]38688[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]38689[/ATTACH]

I love the photo of Mt Beerwah with the cloud beard.

I thought it was a ski ramp. Then I thought "Hmph, Qld Govt has got this Climate Change arse up" Then remembered that Can-do was done.

• Like 1

Had a little Sunday afternoon fly with the kids today. It was a bit bumpy with gusty winds and a few isolated stormy clouds but was really enjoyable. Mum took a pic of the little fella but missed out on the little princess as she got to go first today.[ATTACH=full]38964[/ATTACH]

Expecting a bit of rain topside are we ;-)

The gumboots on the Co-Pilot are a giveaway :-P

Well, hopefully it won`t be my last flight, but it was taking my two beautiful grand daughters, Alison and Kristy, for a very enjoyable fly, this morning, around the local area...Spotted a 3+ mt crock swimming on the surface, of the Mulgrave river, about a half a K from home, but I was already up at 1500` and by the time I got down to 500` AGL, it went to the bottom so no Crock photo this time.

Alison.

1779786210_AlisonFlying.(Large).jpg.de1e79bd54cc670b3c9b04a50867fa2b.jpg

1129134473_Alison.(Large).jpg.908d70e9cd2e51b526139dcbd1acf834.jpg

Gordonvale.

864835642_Gordonvale.(Large).jpg.9363f19d59c4ee38459695703068cfb7.jpg

Kristy.

1252715218_Kristygoingflying.(Large).jpg.3e4919c2795ab0a6a15c85b97d33fe61.jpg

Frankland Islands.

1748430257_Franklands.(Large)(Large).jpg.50366d5e4a3a41f0eb7793bb442c7ab5.jpg

Frank.

1232522818_Franklands.(Large)(Large).jpg.c68519cc707f377d117f87608fdce49b.jpg

• Like 5

Not meant to be a check of brakes. The technique is hold aircraft on brakes and power up the engines making sure they all reach acceptable full power levels and then release brakes. This, coupled with using every inch of runway maximises performance relating to the accelerate stop situation or near obstacle climb limited situation. Nev

Thanks Nev, I now understand this technique to be essential starting to roll with full power on so as to minimise rolling distance to rotation thus shortest takeoff distance achieved.

Just like dropping the clutch on a 351 GT with a decent handful of revs and getting out in front quickly.

Yes it is to a point. The ability to check that full power is happening is also important. If the power degrades and you don't abort the take-off, you take an unsafe situation into the air. Partial failure is important to react to as well. You should be very aware of what RPM is normal on take off for YOUR aircraft. Nev

P1090311.JPG.43ffd144cea96da2684e3db5cf0b143c.JPG

I have been getting the hours up in my newly finished Nynja, 12.6 hours at present (1/2 way to the 25hrs). It's a delight to fly. During the last three flights I have got out to the coast and all's going great. Had some visitors to my home airfield on Sunday and I can't wait until I can return a visit to thier airfields. Re pitched the prop today and I'll do a compass adjustment to get it spot on over the next few flights ready for some xc flights.

Cheers

Mike

P1090313.JPG.f879be49632f5d51b18ffefc7b24f36e.JPG

P1090329.JPG.87fa0be99262ffce5d35335614ef3cc2.JPG

P1090241.JPG.18666db48825fa2d61b2491f21d5ddc0.JPG

P1090242.JPG.c8ba65101e7d6eee9842ebb6874bc62b.JPG

P1090268.JPG.7b0f0eddae8c69c000a20d57217bb279.JPG

P1090274.JPG.afeb29e6ecc96bfb85f9fe17cc439a82.JPG

P1090304.JPG.d25988bdea381477a82e599c2936cee3.JPG

P1090306.JPG.1de7118d246a46c3d46bba33bd2b22d4.JPG

• Like 6

Thanks Nev, I now understand this technique to be essential starting to roll with full power on so as to minimise rolling distance to rotation thus shortest takeoff distance achieved.Just like dropping the clutch on a 351 GT with a decent handful of revs and getting out in front quickly.

Its funny how many people think this, but alas engine at full RPM on a plane does not increase takeoff performance by any useful margin on a piston engine aircraft. The idea of take off RPM on the brake is purely for ensuring engine performance (static RPM) prior to rolling.

Just like dropping the clutch on a 351GT, there is a lot of prop slip. This is why drag cars like to minimse wheel spin!

• Informative 1

No photos from me this time, but I took advantage of great weather on Monday to host my visiting Canadian cousin & his wife to a joy flight around Wilsons Promontory and via Port Phillip heads to Barwon Heads, throwing in an history lesson about Harold Holt, South Channel Fort, disappearing guns, the first shots of world wars one and two, quarantine stations, and Swan Point "spook training".

Special thanks to Tyabb for allowing me to use their aerodrome for the benefit of "international relations". The Canadians seemed to enjoy the experience, politely enduring my history commentary.

• Like 1

Sunday 8th November saw me do 5.5 hrs of flying for the day, day started off with me flying from West Sale to Bainsdale to pick up my passenger and from there we departed Bairnsdale for the coast abeam Loch Sport

From Loch Sport we turned right and flew coastal at 2500ft to McLaughlins Beach then climbed to 6500ft to cross the water to the magnificent Wilsons Promontory

A lap around the Prom then back via Yarram - Rosedale- Sale and back to Bairnsdale to drop off my elated and gracious passenger saw me depart back towards West Sale on my own, but had I had enough? No way as I approached Sale I decided to continue my jolly on this awesome day so off I went to Yallourn North- Moe- Newborough- Yinnar- Churchill- Traralgon then heading back towards West Sale

Approaching Rosedale I still hadn't had enough so off to Longford-Stratford back to Sale and then to Maffra and finally back to West Sale after 5.5 hrs total of sheer flying pleasure

Total fuel used was 80 litres out of 100 total

Few photos of our awesome Gippsland country

image.jpeg.0f8c44754b2660b19b71c72cd47b2d5b.jpeg

image.jpeg.9d2159fecfd39c1d8869c7227faa58ce.jpeg

image.jpeg.93947a1d3c2547565233d6f3919e6631.jpeg

image.jpeg.7dd0e2b9050fa995aab99dbc68cb73b6.jpeg

image.jpeg.3d9eabcd4259507202c2eac5ea58ebfa.jpeg

image.jpeg.a05f6a006f6971f821b129f6be560382.jpeg

image.jpeg.617a14026e163e1baffa78b278380fc7.jpeg

image.jpeg.d1429684e26da625b72d4972cd232a14.jpeg

• Like 8