Tell us about your last flight

Admin

Trip Loxton to Caloundra yesterday.

7.9 hrs tacho time. Stopped a Narromine for fuel and break.

First opportunity to contact a plane on same track from Moree I noticed on ozrunnways 2200 below and behind.

Great scenery just before Gatton, patchwork fields.

PHIL.

• Like 2

Trip Loxton to Caloundra yesterday.7.9 hrs tacho time. Stopped a Narromine for fuel and break.

First opportunity to contact a plane on same track from Moree I noticed on ozrunnways 2200 below and behind.

Great scenery just before Gatton, patchwork fields.

PHIL.

Good effort by another 'senior' pilot . The extra 20 knots with the 230 certainly makes a difference .... Bob

Soooo, when are you upgrading Bob?

Hmm, that extra speed and carrying capacity would really be nice Bill , but even the 160 is a bit tight in the hangar ( gotta watch 'that' spelling ), so not sure I'm up to going through all that again .......but then , if you're really interested ! ...... Bob

No point telling you when I could just show you!

A lot know I am embarking on an independent movie based on my book.

I have been securing early pioneer type ultralights and the new edition is the chinook. Once owned and flown for many years by member. "Techair"

After I did a massive overhaul of all and every component ( replacing lots of stale bits) .with a Lvl 2 report and re reg and after 14 years, I did tests and 3 small test flights. Very Happy with her performance so I took her for .6hr cruise this morning.

cruising around at 40 kts is absolute majestical bliss.

Video here:

image.jpg.622d26ad90e92a857f1a59693645c903.jpg

• Like 6

Goodonya Tim! I flew that aircraft, way back in the mid eighties and it`s nice to see it still flying. That aircraft was partly responsible for establishing Ultralight flying in Far North Queensland. The original owner allowed me to use it as a template, to scratch build mine. That aircraft could tell a lot of stories.

All the very best with your project.

Frank.

• Like 1

Just returned from a 3 hr flight back from Gore at the bottom of the South Island. Atrocious weather kept us grounded for a couple of days and in the end there was brief window between showers and we set off - unable to get over the mountains because of low cloud, so out to the east coast with a 2000 ft ceiling but also a 30 kt southerly pushing us along at up to 135 kts groundspeed - my mistake was to hug the shore and I copped rotor off the hills which felt like being in a washing machine but got out of it eventually and the rest of the flight was manageable if rather uncomfortable. Bit out of my comfort zone, but the Alpi handled it very well. Got home and found that a hatch behind the seat had dislodged in the turbulence and all the stuff there had ended up in the bottom of the fuselage - luckily no chance of fouling anything.

Dunwich Breakfast was popular again today with an assortment of aircraft attending.

It was announced that there will be a breakfast on the 19/12/15, this should be a great Christmas get together for everyone.

Photos the some of the aircraft that flew in today.

image.jpg.28d79ad33bdf61822796bf46dab5a041.jpg

image.jpg.bac3154f5bdf57bec3b0e0f76b9796e6.jpg

image.jpg.21f265cf5f4641a04505d7583d257409.jpg

image.jpg.fa5431385b26735749dc4b200cec2153.jpg

image.jpg.4d13e77ac8067e9435bbea58b9b8d35b.jpg

image.jpg.78214a043e27dfb872beb205d47aabd1.jpg

image.jpg.f3a053eb56d183be40dea2387d5379ee.jpg

• Like 3

We flew to Temora last weekend for the warbird airshow which was great, but the highlight of the trip took place on my way home. We stopped overnight at Gunnedah to visit some special friends, the widow & daughter of my best mate ( and a fellow aeroplane nut ) who we lost in a non-flying accident 7 years ago. His daughter Bianca is now 10 years old. During our visit I had the honour of taking Bianca for her first flight in a small plane.

We took off late in the afternoon after the thermal action had died down. It was really important to me that this be an enjoyable experience for Bianca. Taking off into the smooth air I could tell by the grin on her face this was going to fun. We flew over her school and home and Bianca took photos of both. Another lap around town and we tried unsuccessfully to find the paddock where her horse lives ( I haven't been there myself ). I couldn't contain my smile when on rejoining the circuit Bianca asked "How old do I have to be to get a pilot's licence?"

It was a really special moment and I know her Dad would be super proud of her.

Of the following pics, the one of us outside the plane was a before and the one of us in the plane is an after showing Bianca's smile.

image.jpeg.e51542ca47aec49f53a693b68edc4cc2.jpeg

image.jpeg.6b35afeb2d9a5cc923c1f95ec20bfc30.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Winner 6

• 2 weeks later...
[ATTACH=full]39312[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]39311[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]39310[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]39309[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]39308[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]39307[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]39305[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]39304[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]39303[/ATTACH]I have been getting the hours up in my newly finished Nynja, 12.6 hours at present (1/2 way to the 25hrs). It's a delight to fly. During the last three flights I have got out to the coast and all's going great. Had some visitors to my home airfield on Sunday and I can't wait until I can return a visit to thier airfields. Re pitched the prop today and I'll do a compass adjustment to get it spot on over the next few flights ready for some xc flights.

Cheers

Mike

Hi Scott

Got 25.1 on her Thursday morning and have sent the completion of 25 hours test flying to RAA so should get the all clear soon (5-10 days advised by Tech RAA). Weather gets good again Thursday next week so have finger crossed I'll get Sandy up in the right seat then.

Cheers

Mike

• Like 2

Hi ScottGot 25.1 on her Thursday morning and have sent the completion of 25 hours test flying to RAA so should get the all clear soon (5-10 days advised by Tech RAA). Weather gets good again Thursday next week so have finger crossed I'll get Sandy up in the right seat then.

Cheers

Mike

Mike:

Excellent! You must be pretty chuffed. Any issues in the first 25? With ours, I was still making tweaks and mods for the first 12 months. Not anything wrong, but always seeking to make it better and fine tune it.

Happy landings.

Mike:Excellent! You must be pretty chuffed. Any issues in the first 25? With ours, I was still making tweaks and mods for the first 12 months. Not anything wrong, but always seeking to make it better and fine tune it.

Happy landings.

Hi Scott

Alls nicely trimmed. Greg did that for me at the start. I moved the compass as it was affected by the electrics below so I put where Greg and most others have it and all good. Just working through the 25 hours checks while the weather is ordinary. May fly Thursday at this stage. When I get into the longer flights I'll see how she is. Longest legs 20 / 25 N/mls to date. The Nynjas climb, speed control and view is impressive and I'm totally wrapped. Soon I'll be able to visit places.

Are you getting in some nice Legend flights?

Mike

• Like 1

Hi ScottAlls nicely trimmed. Greg did that for me at the start. I moved the compass as it was affected by the electrics below so I put where Greg and most others have it and all good. Just working through the 25 hours checks while the weather is ordinary. May fly Thursday at this stage. When I get into the longer flights I'll see how she is. Longest legs 20 / 25 N/mls to date. The Nynjas climb, speed control and view is impressive and I'm totally wrapped. Soon I'll be able to visit places.

Are you getting in some nice Legend flights?

Mike

Mike:

Yes, getting some nice flights done, but also some short stuff. Took a friendly local flying instructor up the other day; he's looking for a replacement for an aging Tecnam. In doing that, I discovered how my landings have slipped into long GA type powered approaches instead of the nice glide approaches that I was taught. So yesterday I did some circuits and started getting my landings back in shape. We did a good flight up to Double Island Point a few weeks back too. The Legend is now due for its first 25hr service.

We're planning a trip out through the centre of Oz in April/May next year. Out to Ayers Rock then down south and back up the coast. I'm not sure whether we'll make The Old Station, but if we do, we'll catch up there.

Last flight.

Not my last flight (I hope), but my most recent flight.

After recent sad loss of yet another valued person who was persuing their passion for flight, I had been questioning whether to give it all up and take up knitting.

Yesterday, I went out to the gliding club (still pondering). The sun was out, the air was clear, there was a comfortable 10kts blowing straight down the strip.

The tug pilot led me to a nice thermal and I bunged off tow early, into good lift which took me to cloud base. I sat quietly for a while at 8000' under the cool whisps of cloud. I did not feel alone. Maybe Maj would approve. Maybe his spirit was soaring with me. Then I also thought of all the people who miss out on this spiritual joy of flight, they have never felt it, and I realised how much it has enriched my life.

No, this will not be my Last Flight.

• Like 4

Mike:Yes, getting some nice flights done, but also some short stuff. Took a friendly local flying instructor up the other day; he's looking for a replacement for an aging Tecnam. In doing that, I discovered how my landings have slipped into long GA type powered approaches instead of the nice glide approaches that I was taught. So yesterday I did some circuits and started getting my landings back in shape. We did a good flight up to Double Island Point a few weeks back too. The Legend is now due for its first 25hr service.

We're planning a trip out through the centre of Oz in April/May next year. Out to Ayers Rock then down south and back up the coast. I'm not sure whether we'll make The Old Station, but if we do, we'll catch up there.

That's great. If it fits try and make Old Station your final leg stopover as it wound be great tho hear about the trip and catchup.

Cheers

Mike

• Agree 1

The news about Maj knocked me about a bit last week and I wasn't sure how I would feel next flight. Went for a nice flight this morning up around Bribie and Glasshouse Mountains and it was a great form of therapy.

image.jpeg.d2e4a52a4ec1cfc117d1e2251895db65.jpeg

Am feeling good about flying again.

• Like 5

I had a very busy day today. Our aero clubs event organiser had organised a come and fly day for basically anyone who we knew who wanted to have a fly. We had a good roll up (I didn't count people, I was too busy but I think there was 20-30) and it was a varied selection, some 'newbies' who had never flown before, some who had flown years ago and wanted to have another go, some who fly regularly but wanted to try out someone else's plane and of course some who just enjoy getting together for a chat:thumb up:.

I had to leave by 9am to go to a 3yr olds birthday party so I had my alarm set for 5 and was up dressed and dailied by 6. On my short leg to the airport there was no radio traffic but there was already a car there and another coming in on the gravel road. I did my smoothest landing of the day (on my own and the smallest audience of the day:doh:) and taxied up to the HQ. A short hello to a local who I had never met but who had heard of the hornet (good things I hope:blush:) and we were off by half past 6 for a nice local flight. During our half hour foray the radio started to get busier and busier and it was easy to tell that it was going to be a good do. This particular local has a thruster but hasn't flown for years due to family commitments (kids chew time:yes:) so he really enjoyed the trip.

We got back at around 7 (which was the actual agreed time for the get together) and already there was an assortment of planes and people ready to commit aviation. After a short stretch of the legs I was gently reminded (by our clubs mother figure) that I had agreed to bring an extension lead which of course I had forgotten, so not wanting to have an empty seat I convinced her to come for the short flight back to get it. It only took us ten minutes but when we got back the amount of planes had doubled and at one stage we were third in line on finals so there was plenty happening.

This time I didn't get out, a local member had seen us come back in and had a newbie there ready to jump in as soon as the prop stopped and the seat emptied! Another nice local flight and another happy customer. (Disclaimer: NO not a paying customer, customer just used as a loose description. Over the course of the day no flights were compensated for besides with smiles!)

I managed to squeeze in one more pax flight before I had to scoot for home but there was still plenty of others having fun. In my haste I didn't get to take any pictures but I think Old K might have got a couple. It was a beautiful morning and I had fun for the rest of the day watching toddlers having fun on a wet slip and slide:thumb up:

• Like 3