Tell us about your last flight

Admin

And do not forget that even if the landing is no way possible due to fog you might still be vfr... vertical visibility vs horizontal visibility is very different. I have happily flown around across mist/fog covered land around the world where vfr Nav was fine but where landing might have been seriously on limited vis on final were the fan to stop.

Legal but probably not the best decision and for me if I could not see better vis ahead I'd have diverted

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

I did care to read it, but he didn't exactly state that it totally obscured the Somerset area. It must have still have been good for VFR flight. Do you really think his instructor would've continued the flight if it was less than VFR?

Yes sorry it was still completely VFR Ok, if you put the nav into a planner, you see that Somerset dam and region is to the left of my flight plan, the fog covered the whole Somerset area from what I could see. There was still plenty of places to land and navigate by.

Sorry I should have spelt it out more, but not having my planned aerodrome to land in but I was constantly being quizzed on where can I land on the route.

• Like 3

Watts Bridge is just behind Mt Brisbane and I can tell you there is also a landing area on Mt Brisbane so it's once again ok.

Looking out to the left I saw the entire Somerset Area was covered in fog (as expected), I was at 4500' and had more than sufficient glide capability to land on Mt Brisbane or continue on my planned flight path to Kingaroy as only a few more miles away were plenty of fields to land at. (The confirmed over Wattsbridge by GPS was purely to test my Nav calculations).

At no point was my flight unsafe and at no point was I not under VFR conditions.

I also had 100L of fuel on board and @ 15L/H more than sufficient - See my highlighted area for fog. It was low level fog and Nav via landmarks/mountains etc.

IMG_0797.jpg.a11bf5c2388a55771fc547a839a09a04.jpg

• Like 3
  • Informative 2

Hardly thinking a near 40 yr pilot is trying to condem the guy. My concerns are valid, if you wish to make yr own judgement on yr vast experience then that's yr prerogative. My comments where based on what was written. That aside the scenario could also be hypothetical, it's a learning excercise I reckon not just to continue on cause it was planed that way! I hope some other low time pilots 'read' my comments and think what can I take from these?

Not at all, if you had bothered to put the Nav in and looked at where Somerset was and where I was flying your experience would have told you otherwise. It's a real shame there are people on here that are quick to jump on their soapbox without even looking at the Nav. Without knowing the area or even looking at a chart, someone with that much flying experience would have charts and even OzRunways or AvPlan EFB to check and offer some constructive feedback not misinformed ignorance.

You don't get to make informed judgement if you can't even do the basic check.

I guess there are always people who are quick to show their ignorance and irrelevance when someone new like me is trying to get training and share my experiences.

• Agree 5

My last couple of flights have resulted in a round trip from home to Taree then back again.

Firstly around two weeks ago from home to Taree I Flew with fellow forumite Old K. I think it was after 8am by we were ready to leave and it was a beautiful trip. We basically flew direct although had to slip around a smidgen of fog in a valley or two but the majority of it was clear. I didn't take any pics of this trip but I think @Old Koreelah caught a bit of video but I haven't been privy to it yet:fear:. It was awesome catching up with Ole and his team and after a lengthy tour of their projects old K and I walked down the street for some lunch after which our taxi (my better half) arrived and then we headed off on a nice relaxing drive home (relaxing for me at least as I was driving:oh yeah:).

Then last Friday we brought it home. My lovely better half again got the short straw and was elected chief taxi driver and drove my cousin Mark and myself over to Taree. (It wasn't quite that bad, I drove over and Mark and I talked to the 'gentle' sound of snores until pulling into Taree Maccas so she did only have the long haul for one leg)

I did a couple of circuits solo just to check everything over and then it was time for goodbyes. We first flew over to Old Bar and did a couple of laps up and down the beach before pointing the nose for home. It was one of the best flying weather days I have ever seen with not 1 ripple for the whole trip even though it was the middle of the day! I got a few pics but they don't do justice to the view, it was amazingly clear.

IMG_3569.JPG.e9d26b2cf80b42442fd31c9d7d5d0f86.JPG

IMG_3572.JPG.c35ccb7be819c09110f2a6f42708ac9e.JPG

• Like 10

Do I get right of rebuttal? As the pix show, we had an awesome trip from Quirindi to Taree. It's all over yowie country, so I'd rather stay away from that in my plane. To get into the small clearings you'd need to be in a Hornet or something similar. I only kept one small video clip, of an aircraft coming in to land on a cleared ridge-top, somewhere in the upper Barnard.

(Turn down your volume before playing. Look for small white smudge, centre of screen.)

Ole's hanger is full of fascinating aircraft. His team's first job was washing all the black soil off SD's plane.

The trip home via Thunderbolts Way in the Commode confirmed to me that it's much safer in the air- the Hornet's not as fast and the G-forces are less.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Fitted in a nice 1.8 hour flight around the Marian, Palmyra and Pioneer River valley this morning before the rain showers arrived.

Nice one, it was probably the last opportunity for a fly for a while in our region. BOM is saying they think the weather could be around till the end of the week. rain.gif.5409f0367857047bb0ed70f1ff7b4d3b.gif

BOM is saying they think the weather could be around till the end of the week. rain.gif.5409f0367857047bb0ed70f1ff7b4d3b.gif

I take little interest in what the BOM forecasts for Melbourne. After checking with them this morning I decided not to go flying (for aeros) but early arvo there were blue skies with AWOS stating scattered at 4700. It happens this way too often.IMG_2840.JPG.6d927174ec708b6f8d97b44729b3811c.JPG

IMG_2839.JPG.4f534f8f5d7f33f3ebd1d3c735489ecd.JPG

• Agree 1

I take little interest in what the BOM forecasts for Melbourne. After checking with them this morning I decided not to go flying (for aeros) but early arvo there were blue skies with AWOS stating scattered at 4700. It happens this way too often.[ATTACH]50757[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]50758[/ATTACH]

I hear you, and agree! That's why I said the words, "probably" and "could"....014_spot_on.gif.1f3bdf64e5eb969e67a583c9d350cd1f.gif

• Like 1

Blueadventures. Good video. It looks like you got Mick on camera doing his meet and greet at Old Station.. Back via Emu Park?

Yes Mick was great. Emu Park is a real Gem, a must stay overnight when it fits in. Always well maintained. Also flew over Hedlow and it looks a great area and airfield. I only flew above the fog band a short distance then 180ed and flew around the Hedlow area for about 40 mins while it lifted. It was good to fill up at Old Station so had plenty of fuel.

Well this weekend my son came down for school holidays so I took him up. I was hoping to get him addicted as I remember from a very young age of wanting to fly.

Well mission accomplished he wants to... (I didn't think about the cost part until now - so looks like I need to become an instructor).

A nice quick flight 0.8h from YCDR around Mt Tibrogargan and then over Bribie down to Woorim and back.

19093037_10155293678554976_8825563715778981017_o.jpg.fe52405d2ad55c50b236b61dd77769a3.jpg

• Like 4
  • Winner 2

Mate, that's "priceless".

"Good-on-yer" as they say, so happy you had a very memorable flying day.

He really looks the part, and I wonder whether it was actually flown from the r/h seat:cheers:.

Rgds planey

Well this weekend my son came down for school holidays so I took him up. I was hoping to get him addicted as I remember from a very young age of wanting to fly.Well mission accomplished he wants to... (I didn't think about the cost part until now - so looks like I need to become an instructor).

A nice quick flight 0.8h from YCDR around Mt Tibrogargan and then over Bribie down to Woorim and back.

[ATTACH=full]50804[/ATTACH]

Mate, guess what? He's gonna share that pic with every kid in his school and watch them all turn pea green! Did he take any pics/vids with his phone on the flight? Priceless.

• Like 1

Meanwhile, I've been updating the vids from our Northern trip out to Carnarvon gorge and Longreach.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=videoseries

More to come soon... Subscribe and get automatic notifications when the new stuff comes up.

Also, we're heading off on a motorhome trip through the US and going to Oshkosh. Should get some good footage from that lot, I hope.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Winner 1

Meanwhile, I've been updating the vids from our Northern trip out to Carnarvon gorge and Longreach.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=videoseries

Had a look at your latest vids. Scott ..... well done . A lot of time and effort goes into producing and editing , often for the benefit of others ........ Bob 026_cheers.gif.2a721e51b64009ae39ad1a09d8bf764e.gif

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Had a look at your latest vids. Scott ..... well done . A lot of time and effort goes into producing and editing , often for the benefit of others ........ Bob 026_cheers.gif.2a721e51b64009ae39ad1a09d8bf764e.gif

Love your work Bob

Couldn't of said it better myself

• Like 2

Thanks for the kind words. Yes there is a fair amount of work goes into the videos, but I really love doing them. Also, they capture the flights so that I can re-live them at any time.

It's a real bonus for me that other people find them enjoyable too.

• Agree 1

I was out on a short trip (1.5h) and on my way home, the wind had increased significantly and my GS was only 8 knots at 2000ft. And the nearest airport from my small private field now reported 29018G27KT 260V320. It also started to rain as I approached the field, but the thruster handled it just fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IKZGLz8WrY

• Like 6