Tell us about your last flight

Admin

Took teen relative for first non-revenue (non-airline) flight. Open cockpit, windy bumpy day. One circuit only but with an extended downwind. Cut losses to ensure a positive experience was had by all.

Had to mash the throttle twice on the landing flare because of the on-off-on nature of the cross wind. Greased the landing between gusts while silently thanking aircraft and instructor for beating into me the idea of carrying a bit of extra air speed into a cross wind landing.

Back on the ground, teen said it was scary at first but very cool fun and why did we fly for only 12 minutes. After driving for so long this was a valid question. At the time the wind continued to strengthen while we pushed the bird back into bed.

... There is never a second go at a first flight.

I'm still waiting for the wind to drop again

• 2 weeks later...
After a little bit of a break from flying due to costs, went up this morning and came back with a rating on the Cessna 162, and my pax endorsement signed off. Pretty stoked.

What you mean that two peeps could actually fly in a 162 with a bit of fuel and still be legal ? 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

• Like 1

Took my eldest daughter for her first flight in the Tecnam Sierra today, West Sale down to edge of Westernport bay then over to Inverloch, coastal to just short of the Prom then across Corner inlet past Yarram Apt then coastal to Seaspray and back to West Sale.

2.1 hrs total and she thoroughly enjoyed it.

• Like 2

First flight of the new year with my son and photographer, Connor. Went for a fly over Queen Mary Falls at Killarney, Leslie Dam (Warwick) and our Home. 1.5 hours all up and a glorious flight to start the year off.

image.jpg.97d2c287bd2f61ef3589ccad755f3f61.jpg

Warwick township, with our place mid foreground

image.jpg.5acfda647c6e56364750f6255e4770b3.jpg

Lake Leslie

image.jpg.1f9a86f8c896b0f6d2aead3c08d5b7ff.jpg

Copilot and photographer

• Like 3

Guest Maj Millard
First flight of the new year with my son and photographer, Connor. Went for a fly over Queen Mary Falls at Killarney, Leslie Dam (Warwick) and our Home. 1.5 hours all up and a glorious flight to start the year off.[ATTACH=full]26827[/ATTACH]

Warwick township, with our place mid foreground

[ATTACH=full]26828[/ATTACH]

Lake Leslie

[ATTACH=full]26829[/ATTACH]

Copilot and photographer

hi LimaMike, tell your copilot Connor he is doing just fine with the arial shots ok., go and buy him a couple of photo frames..........great stuff...!..................Maj....012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Flight with my son in law this morning from Murray Bridge down to Milang, Clayton and back.

Smooth flight and only a few minor bumps landing.

The vines of Langhorn Creek.

aDSC05050.JPG.3548017cdc391e6c9c4a21b194294ea4.JPG

Circular rainbow with the plane shadow in the center.

aDSC05052.JPG.4c00d4ac8f2e05b39553751337be6056.JPG

The morning sun over Lake Alexandrina with the Murray River inlet.

aDSC05061.JPG.b6f8444c2fc2bbc460b65ba1dce5b679.JPG

• Like 8

I had a nice trip up to a glider field called Lake Keepit to see some friends. Not a bad day for flying, though it was smokey in the Singleton area coming back. 3.7 Hours round trip which I think is more than the last couple months of bad weather combined.

YKEP.jpg.c475e60649a062fe0c11849a3cfe2ee9.jpg

• Like 1

I had a nice trip up to a glider field called Lake Keepit to see some friends. Not a bad day for flying, though it was smokey in the Singleton area coming back. 3.7 Hours round trip which I think is more than the last couple months of bad weather combined.I was at lake keepit in/on a boat on Friday I love watching the tug tow the gliders up and also listening to the gliders singing as they come back over to the field while dangling a line, two of my favourite pastimes 009_happy.gif.56d1e13d4ca35a447ad034f1ecf7aa58.gif

Flew to the great eastern fly in at Evans Head. What an awesome show. Well worth the trip.

The air show itself was great. About 12 flying warbirds, lots of aerobatics and plenty on the ground to look at, plus a pretty good car and bike show , and of course the museum. Possibly not worth a really long trip if you've seen it all before, but an awesome day trip.

And watching the Piper archer almost land on the mustang within 10ft was an eye opener. He was rounded up by casa promptly. The guy was a cowboy on the ground as well.

Anyway i give the flyin a 8/10 for a small one and the airmanship i saw and heard while flying in and out maybe 2/10 if i was to be generous.

I wont go into it as it was a great airshow, but it was a disappointment to see such poor and reckless airmanship by more then a few.

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to give this thread a bump so I could read about flying again for a change:wink:

I went to Taree earlier this week to bring the hornet home but circumstances were not in favour so did some high speed taxis for an hour or two on the first day and some circuits on the second day:happy dance: broke the circuits up with a lap out to old bar and a short beach run, never flown over the beach like that before so this backwards country boy enjoyed it:happy:.

Now sitting back at home hoping the weather plays the game next week:rain:

• Like 4

Guest Maj Millard

About one hour ago, nice cool late arvo flight over the large dam near Montpelier. cruising around with the sky to myself except for one aircraft airborne over nearby Starke Field. nice landing on nice new he preen grass after good rain. nfortunatly it's attracting lots of young suicidal wallabies, so had to watch for those.......possible another in the morning before the WX goes to Shxx as forcast mid week.................Maj.....

To a young lass for her first flight in a light aircraft on the 28-2-14, went from West Sale up to Lakes Entrance & back along the beautiful Gippsland Lakes, shame the visibility wasn't at its best for this visiting Kansas girl as I would have loved her to see the vibrant colours of the Lakes system.

Overall she loved it and had no qualms about flying in a small plane and what a way to see the area we live in for a visiting overseas friend, certainly gave her a different perspective of the lay of the land at 1500 142684361_TrudyflyinginOZ.jpg.b5bb273202338792397f59c4d3ac1d9f.jpg feet compared to 40,000 in a A380.

• Like 2

On Friday flew over to Avoca and spent nearly an hour checking out the Pyrenees Ranges vineyards from the air. There are some great locations on hillsides and in rugged valleys including Taltarni, Warrrenmang, Summerfield. Came home via Maryborough but as usual no-one one the ground there, so a touch and go and homeward.

Four aircraft from Kyneton went to Asses Ears (YGMP) at the Grampians. Stayed overnight, had a very pleasant time. We flew back this morning with a scenic tour of the Grampians. All a bit dry at present but a great location to fly in and park the aircraft at your accommodation unit. Food catered and a bar open. Quad bike hire if needed.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Had a little flight last night just a 'quickie' have been wanting to practice some stalls again didn't have much time so just did six of them three power off three power on in order they were

1: power off clean

2: power off half flap

3:power off full flap

4:power on full flap

5:power on half flap

6:power on clean

Only used half power for power on stalls I really enjoyed it all and wish I had a bit more time. Hoping to get up and do it again soon and to take some notes, also on my to do list is get up to that same height and practice some slow flying.

It went pretty well as I expected except the full flaps with power on amazed me as to just how docile it was. Power off the indicated (yes that can be off and incorrect) was around 30-32 knots for all three flap settings with no wing drop the nose just dipped. full flap half power went back to 20 knots indicated (see above brackets) and just mushed around. Half flap half power was around 25 or 26 with a bit more work to keep it there and clean with half power went 28 with a mild wing drop. This was all done with half fuel and nowhere near mtow. Anyway I really enjoyed it and can't wait to practice again with a bit more time.

Today was overcast with high cloud and we had friends over so I got to do two half hour joy flights real mild thermal activity and they loved it 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif smiles all round.

I'm getting a bit spoilt landing in the paddocks as they are all ploughed up so basically been landing everywhere which isn't doing my aim points any good, I can see I need to spend a day or two practicing picking a point maybe need to spend a couple of hours doing circuits at YQDI. It's terrible needing to do all this practice:happy:

• Like 4