Tell us about your last flight

Admin

Flying over a heavily congested area like that can't be a Really Good idea . . .

Mind you,. . .there is a precedent now,. . .in an emergency he could always use the Hudson ?

Is that legal in the US or was it a cowboy pilot ?

It is legal. There is a VFR corridor cut through busy airspace. With clearly determined altitudes and self reporting points. The trike had a transponder and a radio sounded a bit scratchy though.

It was early morning I complimented and he rocked his soft wings really cool sight. I fly in the corridor very often and I've seen a lot of strange machines there over the years. Trike was the first one.

That's a nice video JG3. Taken off from my airport. There is my RV parked just across the big community hangar. Small world very small.

1525871650_SolbergN51-1.thumb.jpg.8a412b317416fbbd71ed8c937f16fd2b.jpg

Cooloola Cove Flyin Lunch, organised by the Monduran Aero Club.A Big success, and a big thanks to all concerned especially Rod at Cooloola for a great day with 23 planes and well over 50 people in attendance.

Look forward to the next one.

The photos say it all with picture perfect weather.

What type is that one on pix 3 on the left.  It has a sort of modified C130 undercarriage and by the looks of it, very stubby wings 092_idea.gif.47940f0a63d4c3c507771e6510e944e5.gif

We went on another Puk Airlines Adventure. 2114 NM in 12 days. Dinosaurs, Crocodiles, Flies, bloody flies, Sunsets and LOTS more.

Pics are

Our track

Refuelling at Dingo

ADELS Grove

ADELS Grove

Normanton railway station

Weird scenery at Gilberton Station

Gold found at Gilberton

Catalina base at Bowen

Singing Sail at Emu Park

Last night together at Emu Park

Sunset cruise at Karumba

Campfire dinner at Gilberton Station

Dinosaurs at Winton

Rock formation at the Jump Up at Dinosaur park at Winton

In front of Krys the Savannah King Croc at Normanton. 28 feet long.

769605610_TrackNorthernSafari.thumb.jpg.58250b55319afacfc38fb63044a33f81.jpg

DSCN3006.thumb.JPG.ec7b2d6132b238afca8bd5dc19df218b.JPG

DSCN3300.thumb.JPG.87f8b76fab1b3ab030c1cad24dcc1b74.JPG

DSCN3413.thumb.JPG.e43e1ba8c68cc9f9b2ca82a0db628341.JPG

DSCN3519.thumb.JPG.7538d95bd7c0b55ef3dcc3e2a522e290.JPG

DSCN3768.thumb.JPG.8d18c21dfc185944be442b09e0d95a12.JPG

DSCN3863.thumb.JPG.f344687598c044cb8e862df3b93ecb74.JPG

DSCN4059.thumb.JPG.44a3185aabc3d5999e051bee11380b47.JPG

DSCN4164.thumb.JPG.04615b33b0e78d351545c86c96449d68.JPG

DSCN4181.thumb.JPG.e1699d291dbbfede6b8b8794d9502bd5.JPG

DSCN3606.thumb.JPG.912dc278421dca76a3ec866ac04246f7.JPG

DSCN3845.thumb.JPG.086028f014e5ce108b3f77131f331950.JPG

DSCN3144.thumb.JPG.e51940b7a3dbf85a69e91bc63042166a.JPG

DSCN3160.thumb.JPG.07992be952de61f549af52f50d25eb28.JPG

DSCN3557.thumb.JPG.145070f143c069ecd1c4b3a6ffa1cd74.JPG

When filling up at servo’s like that what are you taking on board. My certificate to run Mogas talks only about Super at 86 octane or higher (best grade available) I assume that because it was written in 1986 the fuel was good old fashioned leaded petrol. Would running 98 premium without lead be ok in O 470 R.

The trip looked like it would be great fun to do.

cheers

Clinton

At Dingo, we filled up at the 95RON pump. They didn't have 98, but the Rotax is rated for 95, so all good for us. For most of the rest of the trip we filled up with avgas, so the mogas would have diluted that some.

When filling up at servo’s like that what are you taking on board. My certificate to run Mogas talks only about Super at 86 octane or higher (best grade available) I assume that because it was written in 1986 the fuel was good old fashioned leaded petrol. Would running 98 premium without lead be ok in O 470 R.The trip looked like it would be great fun to do.

cheers

Clinton

There are two certifications - one for the engine and one for the air frame. I won't go into it here because there is so much data already available. I am being very general here but typically, high wing aircraft don't suffer from vapour lock like low wing aircraft can because of the height of the fuel tank above or below the pump(s).

80 Octane (Red) aviation petrol has a low vapour pressure and this is part of the ASTM standard. Car petrol might or might not perform the same way in terms of vapour pressure and performance under cold temperatures (e.g. up in the flight levels). A high wing tank goes some way to getting around the vapour pressure issue

• 2 weeks later...

Had a nice 2 hours plus flight on Sunday and caught up with some flying friends for a cuppa.  The recent early morning rain before sunrise cleared the skies.  

20180529_090750.thumb.jpg.067bcf67d4eaaa2ce2c183c236bca720.jpg

20180529_090821.thumb.jpg.184609395d7468cb694745482e6b866f.jpg

20180529_092156.thumb.jpg.7cb36af6a12f78b088f3a226276a9b45.jpg

Funnel Mountain one of our local distinctive landmarks

20180529_092433.thumb.jpg.66dfab2eb1387b81b3e968cd0b9770ba.jpg

20180529_093829.thumb.jpg.5a6a726f0d772e6293f396e636c4d54f.jpg

20180529_101036.thumb.jpg.ef999b4f419bf3aee6325490cebb4b35.jpg

20180529_103159.thumb.jpg.07b0433a99d8f525e21a66e9223aa91e.jpg

20180529_133434.thumb.jpg.0c662fabb1b00679b4fba353d542000a.jpg

A beautiful day for flying today, I had a delayed start waiting for the fuel truck, then he ran out of fuel so he had to go back to fill up. This gave me plenty of time to relax "inside" the plane as it was still a bit cool. I wanted to put my new D2 Charlie into action, had a flight plan from AvPlan across to it and the iPad Pro 10.5 on the yoke.

After getting fuel I was off. Left YBAF  a very nice smooth day and was TAS @ 120knot. An average GS of 194.6kph and a short 100km 30min flight to YCDR.

Arriving at YCDR I joined a downwind as there were a few others in the circuit, had to slow her up a bit and extend downwind for a couple of other aircraft. A perfect touch down on 23, backtracked 30 slightly as the aircraft that landed just before I did, went into 12 to allow a waiting aircraft to take off (courteous piloting).

I was then happy to show the flight school that I did my RAA flying at our pride and joy.

It had to be a short stay as I had work to do in the afternoon, so I took back to the skies. Once again a nice quick trip back to YBAF with yet another landing by the numbers, get my taxi clearance and then tie her back down and head back home. I am really loving this beautiful little Piper.

IMG_20180602_151516_129.thumb.jpg.b9f79a5c199c4c226456be99c8b37a82.jpg

IMG_20180602_151831_768.thumb.jpg.a483e3724eb7d8f92cd18cb1f2f12190.jpg

A beautiful day for flying today, I had a delayed start waiting for the fuel truck, then he ran out of fuel so he had to go back to fill up. This gave me plenty of time to relax "inside" the plane as it was still a bit cool. I wanted to put my new D2 Charlie into action, had a flight plan from AvPlan across to it and the iPad Pro 10.5 on the yoke.After getting fuel I was off. Left YBAF  a very nice smooth day and was TAS @ 120knot. An average GS of 194.6kph and a short 100km 30min flight to YCDR.

Arriving at YCDR I joined a downwind as there were a few others in the circuit, had to slow her up a bit and extend downwind for a couple of other aircraft. A perfect touch down on 23, backtracked 30 slightly as the aircraft that landed just before I did, went into 12 to allow a waiting aircraft to take off (courteous piloting).

I was then happy to show the flight school that I did my RAA flying at our pride and joy.

It had to be a short stay as I had work to do in the afternoon, so I took back to the skies. Once again a nice quick trip back to YBAF with yet another landing by the numbers, get my taxi clearance and then tie her back down and head back home. I am really loving this beautiful little Piper.

[ATTACH]38396.IPB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]38397.IPB[/ATTACH]

They really are lovely to fly  Is that an early one with the straight wing? Is it an Archer? There’s no way on Earth any of the three 160hp Warriors I’ve flown would get to 120 ktas!

Hello everybody!

This is Sebastiano (said Nuccio) from Italy.

I thought you may be interested in seeing how I fly on the other part of the ocean.

I fly with my ultralight, a Tecnam P92.

Usually I summarize my flights with short videos like the following.

Cheers

Nuccio

If you want subscribe my youtube channel. Thanks!

...hoping not to be boring, here follow another short video of a flight to Lampedusa island.

Lampedusa is an italian island situated south-west of Malta in the Mediterranean sea.

It has became famous in the last years because of the african refugees and migrants issue.

It remains a very nice place for tourism. I flew there with my friends; all pilots and owners of ultralight airplanes.

Enjoy flying like us!

Cheers

Nuccio

• Like 1

They really are lovely to fly  Is that an early one with the straight wing? Is it an Archer? There’s no way on Earth any of the three 160hp Warriors I’ve flown would get to 120 ktas!

It’s a Cherokee 140, though it has 160hp pistons. The main reason is the coarse prop. I regularly get 115/120 ktas @ 75%. However the climb and take off are to be watched.

We also had the 160hp upgrade at the last engine overhaul of our Piper Cherokee Cruiser PA28-140 and it was well worth it. We went for a more modest upgrade of the TAS to 110 kts. An improvement in the take-off run and climb-out was what we wanted, especially out of airfields like Dunwich(YDUN) and Stanthorpe(YSPE), that we regularly visit. The propeller was tweaked coarse to get into the upper end of the static rpm range required by the RAM STC.

In the climb, on a cold morning, the VSI will easily hit 2000 ft/min rate of climb momentarily before I lower the nose to a more sensible 7-800ft/min. One thing to be watched also on cold mornings is that the engine will easily red-line at straight and level to about 2850rpm and must be brought back manually to the 2700rpm limit.

If you ever wish to sacrifice some speed for viewing fewer trees on take-off, Prop Care/ACS at Archerfield should be able to tweak the prop a little bit finer for you.

I see you have what looks like Metco-aire Hoerner wingtips fitted. They will give you an extra 2-3 knots TAS as well as better aileron response and a slightly lower stall speed.

Enjoy your little plane - we do!

We also had the 160hp upgrade at the last engine overhaul of our Piper Cherokee Cruiser PA28-140 and it was well worth it. We went for a more modest upgrade of the TAS to 110 kts. An improvement in the take-off run and climb-out was what we wanted, especially out of airfields like Dunwich(YDUN) and Stanthorpe(YSPE), that we regularly visit. The propeller was tweaked coarse to get into the upper end of the static rpm range required by the RAM STC.In the climb, on a cold morning, the VSI will easily hit 2000 ft/min rate of climb momentarily before I lower the nose to a more sensible 7-800ft/min. One thing to be watched also on cold mornings is that the engine will easily red-line at straight and level to about 2850rpm and must be brought back manually to the 2700rpm limit.

If you ever wish to sacrifice some speed for viewing fewer trees on take-off, Prop Care/ACS at Archerfield should be able to tweak the prop a little bit finer for you.

I see you have what looks like Metco-aire Hoerner wingtips fitted. They will give you an extra 2-3 knots TAS as well as better aileron response and a slightly lower stall speed.

Enjoy your little plane - we do!

Thanks for that info. I think they’re great planes for the money! I rent as required at the moment but will come back to that if I ever buy my own.

Do aborted flights count?

Yesterday our club had planned on flying to Wings Out West for lunch.

After months of perfect flying weather (drought) Saturday dawned overcast, with drizzly rain blocking our path to the southwest. 

After our traditional BBQ breakfast and much studying of radar & weather maps, half a dozen aircraft set off to find a way over the Liverpool Range and around the rainy patches.

A pair of 4-seat Pipers went west. With their long legs, they were soon past the incoming rain bands. A Gyro, helicopter and Hornet STOL aircraft tried a low-level middle approach, and I pointed my little Jodel south, trying to get in front of the advancing rain bands.

After escaping most of the drizzle, I found a clear area and climbing to 6,000' crossed the range adjacent to Oxley's Peak. This westerly airstream normally stacks cloud up on the northern side of the range, so I expected better conditions on the other side. There appeared to be a lot less cloud cover south of the range, so I planned to track west to re-join my planned route around Dunedoo.

Alas, after a few minutes the rain moved over the range, blocking the path ahead. Despite being over 20 miles apart, we'd all been talking on the numbers. A couple of the others had elected to turn back, so I decided I'd had enough fun for the day and headed north over the range again.

The trip home was made difficult by increasing drizzle, so I dropped engine revs to protect my wooden prop. Four aircraft returned to base, but it was not a defeat. We'd had a great flight and all returned home safe and dry. 

I got to make a close inspection of an area of the range that I'd been dreaming of exploring for thirty-odd years. A good day.

422808453_ApproachingLiverpoolRa.thumb.jpg.8a73073b220ffd9ed6bccaa5cbe1bbf6.jpg

1419147062_OxleysPeak.thumb.jpg.9b449af3f4c78c139caa67dc60dc588c.jpg

• Like 1

Cosford Air Show was on today ( Sunday ) and this year, they decided to expand the TRA ( Temp Restricted Area ) almost up to our Airfield circuit. . .it ended 1/2 NM on the opposite side of the M6 Motorway, precluding any flights to the West all day, and from 6PM yesterday. . .

I was not on this particular flight, but thought it was interesting.  One of our recently qualified students ( he was cleared yesterday ! ) went for a buzz around just to the North of the site ( he is restricted to flying within a radius of 8 NM until his Navs are completed )   He was flying at Circa 1,800 feet QNH  when he could not help noticing the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight Avro Lancaster flying beneath him with a vertsep of around 400 feet. . .

He said that it was 'Interesting' . . . .he was in mild shockSurprise ( being a Newbie ) and didn't get a direct phone pic of it, but told me all about it on the A/G radio. . . he reckons that he had setup his phone camera to take a pic every thirty seconds on his flight. . .He'll let me know if it caught the 'Lanc.      That's a good  tale for his grandkids anyhow. . . .

Do aborted flights count?Yesterday our club had planned on flying to Wings Out West for lunch.

After months of perfect flying weather (drought) Saturday dawned overcast, with drizzly rain blocking our path to the southwest. 

After our traditional BBQ breakfast and much studying of radar & weather maps, half a dozen aircraft set off to find a way over the Liverpool Range and around the rainy patches.

A pair of 4-seat Pipers went west. With their long legs, they were soon past the incoming rain bands. A Gyro, helicopter and Hornet STOL aircraft tried a low-level middle approach, and I pointed my little Jodel south, trying to get in front of the advancing rain bands.

After escaping most of the drizzle, I found a clear area and climbing to 6,000' crossed the range adjacent to Oxley's Peak. This westerly airstream normally stacks cloud up on the northern side of the range, so I expected better conditions on the other side. There appeared to be a lot less cloud cover south of the range, so I planned to track west to re-join my planned route around Dunedoo.

Alas, after a few minutes the rain moved over the range, blocking the path ahead. Despite being over 20 miles apart, we'd all been talking on the numbers. A couple of the others had elected to turn back, so I decided I'd had enough fun for the day and headed north over the range again.

The trip home was made difficult by increasing drizzle, so I dropped engine revs to protect my wooden prop. Four aircraft returned to base, but it was not a defeat. We'd had a great flight and all returned home safe and dry. 

I got to make a close inspection of an area of the range that I'd been dreaming of exploring for thirty-odd years. A good day.

[ATTACH]38481.IPB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]38482.IPB[/ATTACH]

The MAIN thing is mate,. . .that you got back safe.    

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Kyle Communications said:

Part of a flight between Murgon and Caboolture last saturday. Was smooth as silk surprisingly

The silky air was also at Mackay for a 1.1 hour flight out to the North West from Palmyra to Bowen River Pub for the Rodeo.  A very pleasant flight for us.