Tell us about your last flight

Admin

I can't compete with this sort of snow, Australia only had some mini snowfall at the start of this winter. This is on top of the highest mountain in Victoria, Mount Bogong at 1,986m (6,516'). I took off from Mount Beauty and climbed past Mount Bogong on my way back to Narrabri.

20180610_092537.jpg.0fc0ef45486d0e3f846dbc5a15c217d4.jpg

20180610_094626.jpg.ef1031a03d25b41538bd40f608358ac4.jpg

• Like 1

That’s a long way from New Jersey in a single engine. Looks amazing. Is that steam coming out of top?

Thanks. Yes the volcano is breathing. I circled several of them during the trip. Stunning views. Here is Makushin.

• Like 2
  • Winner 1

• 2 weeks later...
There's no where to land in that treed country. They wouldn't find you for years. Nev

I'd volunteer to go search for him Nev. . . so long as HE bought the beer when we found him and got back to the pub. . . .

:-)

• Like 1

4 aircraft departed yyrm on sunday24th of july 1x Jabiru,1x kitfox, 1x whitman tailwind and 1x eurofox 3k heading for Lake Eyre. First night at Mungo Lodge, second night Broken Hill and a tour around the area plus the use of a car thanks to a bloke named Bruce

along with a chat to Laurie who at 85 did a trip around Aus by himself. 3rd night at William creek after flying over Marree man and the sth end of the lake 4th night at Wentworth and a night on a houseboat with Bruce Hammet 5th night Bendigo and fogged in next morning

after a delay with fog back to Yarram via Kilmore gap YLTV and over the hill back home in silky smooth air. pilots Alan Jarvis,Geoff Boyd, Jim Christinson and Brian Lucas great trip and good company

• Like 4
  • Winner 1

Fogged in til midday at YKTN then off to Benalla to show my grandson Ned Kelly's green sash, which they had learned about at school. Coming home there was a haze to the NW into the sun but good viz otherwise. I hoped any aircraft coming that way had his eyes on, because I really couldn’t see into the sun at all. Two good landings unappreciated by my grandson, who assumed they were normal.

• 2 weeks later...

Went out to Warwick airfield for a fly today, ended up just doing one circuit. Why there are not more accidents I don’t know. There was a 24 registered low wing tecnam or sling or something flying circuits, consistently calling, downwind for 09 and then landing on 27. Not sure how that is possible with compass, DG, and 27 written large on the runway. A C172RG whose pilot must have thought he was an ATPL, spoke way too fast and largely unintelligibly, a Warrior making occasional radio calls and a C172 which crossed the airfield midfield crosswind at around circuit height without any calls that I heard and disappeared into the distance. Really could be quite scary and all within the space of an hour!

Went out to Warwick airfield for a fly today, ended up just doing one circuit. Why there are not more accidents I don’t know. There was a 24 registered low wing tecnam or sling or something flying circuits, consistently calling, downwind for 09 and then landing on 27. Not sure how that is possible with compass, DG, and 27 written large on the runway. A C172RG whose pilot must have thought he was an ATPL, spoke way too fast and largely unintelligibly, a Warrior making occasional radio calls and a C172 which crossed the airfield midfield crosswind at around circuit height without any calls that I heard and disappeared into the distance. Really could be quite scary and all within the space of an hour!

Agree. A flight I did recently had this occur. I called and landed 18. Another aircraft I was meeting there called they were to the south of the airfield and would land after me. Then it called final for 18. I taxied to the northern end and positioned to get some footage of its landing then next it rolled to a stop after landing 36. Some people just call like the wind direction : where they are coming from or perhaps they corrected the call and I missed hearing it.

Biggest problem with some of the numptys is they look at their compass and call the 10 mile from the direction they are heading not even thinking the are coming from the opposite direction to which they are heading.

Puts my neck on a swivel more that it normally is when I intitially think they’re in close proximity to me and calling the same level

After frantic searching I usually ask .... are you actually coming from this direction inbound?

Usually get yeah oh sorry.

Took the 182 for the first trip with 4 aboard on Sunday morning. Beaut flying weather in the morning from YSTW to YCFS. Not so fun for pax on way home Monday, bumpy all the way to 7500 (couldn’t climb any higher).

Regarding the Warwick CTAF, a lot of pilots forget or don't know that the discrete frequency is 127.85 and do all their calls on 126.7 instead. This could explain the silent C172.

Regarding the Warwick CTAF, a lot of pilots forget or don't know that the discrete frequency is 127.85 and do all their calls on 126.7 instead. This could explain the silent C172.

Doesn’t make it any less dangerous and probably even scarier!

• 3 weeks later...

Just got back from a trip to visit our daughter and son-in-law in Katherine. Serpentine-Myrup-Nullarbor Roadhouse-Maralinga-Coober Pedy-Cadney Homestead-Kulgera-Uluru/Olgas-Ti-Tree-Tennant Creek-Katherine (Tindal)-Kununurra-Bungles-Wolfe Ck Crater-Halls Creek-Fitzroy Crossing-Sandfire Roadhouse-Meekatharra-Northam and back to Serpentine. About 4,300 nm all up. No problems apart from getting bogged on a sand track at Sandfire Roadhouse while taxiing closer to the bowsers. Also had severe winds overnight in a 15-20 minute event at Meekatharra (60-70 kph), but luckily the tiedowns held and no damage. Typical cruising speed was about 115kts, but saw 153kts ground speed at one point near Esperance, and 49kts crosswind on another occasion. Pilots are lucky - they get all the best views. A few random photos...

Near Border Village

29952480698_83eb86f18f_z_d.jpg

Cliffs along the Bight

43105622364_e2779edc87_z_d.jpg

Head of the Bight

43105295544_346e22e86a_z_d.jpg

Uluru/Ayres Rock

29952621948_0981663e45_z_d.jpg

MacDonnell Ranges

42918646715_209cfb9e9b_z_d.jpg

Devil's Marbles

29952583978_d7063f86ba_z_d.jpg

Wolfe Creek Crater, 300,000 years old - 50,000 tonne meterorite

28886073577_a7c490e144_z_d.jpg

Great Sandy Desert - surprisingly colourful

42918863085_62ede2c94d_z_d.jpg

Airstrip at Karijini National Park

43105560154_0ab1cf910b_z_d.jpg

Fantastic colours - Lake Moore, just south of Paynes Find

43822508071_54ecd15d21_z_d.jpg

First green landscape in nearly four weeks - near Northam.

42919335185_114eccfd1c_z_d.jpg

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Winner 10

• 4 weeks later...

Had the first fly of the spring season today and went to the beach. A good thing with the sand is you can assess how you go keeping the front wheel up after the mains are on. Fitted a new brake master cylinder kit and the brakes are back to 100%. Also gave the outside a good wax and polish so looks shiny again; will try and keep it there now. Had a cuppa with Bill on the forum; so a great morning fly all in all. And a Searay called in for a quick G'day. Cheers.

20180901_103043.jpg.7767dc0c4e7988fdcb623e6d63f70837.jpg

20180901_094012.jpg.82644588bf8a02af0c075d748adf5fb0.jpg

20180901_094506.jpg.bc91c24ed9acd94a60ddf8918379de53.jpg

20180901_102948.jpg.99b4428c1bf89ecc9c37afcd9fd41235.jpg

• Like 4

Spent the day towing gliders at Darling Downs Soaring Club in a Pawnee 235. Very sporting crosswind. Great fun ‘though! Sorry, no pretty pictures. Only its mother would call a Pawnee pretty anyway.

Robert

• Like 1

Curious... just what are the legalities of landing on a beach? I would love to give it a try but I have no idea what is or is not allowed. I suppose public beaches, state parts and national parks might all be different? And God help us if local councils have a say!