Tell us about your last flight

Admin

31 minutes ago, onetrack said:

Strawberry growers, Old K? Yes, the stories we read, they're doing it tough. But in the wanton destruction of ripe strawberry crops, I see a failure to address the current situation, and little attempt to find a way to utilise the fruit.

Many a grower has had to re-adjust their plans to find a different way to process and sell their fruit, when their normal market area collapsed. There must be some options available to use the fruit to produce a strawberry product in a different form.

A friend used to grow about 20 Ha of (irrigated) onions in the late 1970's. But onion prices were notoriously extreme in that era, and when time came to harvest them, the price he was offered was less than the price of production - so, he simply ploughed them all in, rather than pay out more to harvest them. Seemed like total stupidity to me, particularly when onions will store for an extended period under the right storage conditions.

It's a game of averages; like the onion grower the variations can be huge. In a different area a Canola grower was doing a TV interview and was about to take off a bumper crop just as canola prices were going through the roof, so it cuts both ways. In some areas, like the Mallee, they work on a 5 year budget where the bumper crops which coincide with peak prices are averaged against the poor crops and low prices. 

Tomorrow is an ‘event’ for my newly acquired Thruster T300 flying Mackay to Wowan on its delivery flight to me.

I am excited! Probably won’t sleep tonight 🙂

D0738116-61DF-424E-AD19-BD28CD51C7C0.jpeg

4EE35D4A-8AB9-4BCD-8EFF-EA28D29E5399.jpeg

578B8CC4-28DA-416B-9342-A11DF43A1E70.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

Riccardoes at Port Macquarie couldn't get rid of their pick your own strawberries this year so they teamed up with a bottling outfit and made 25,000 jars of strawberry jam. Sounds way better than the other alternatives.

Edited by kgwilson
  • Like 1
  • Informative 1

1 hour ago, Blueadventures said:

Nice, what time you leaving. I’m departing at 6:30 or before for Childers.

probably see you there as air field closes for Drag meeting at 7am so all flyers to be departed by then. Cheers and have a nice enjoyable flight.

Mike Hille is departing at first light, making a fuel stop at St Lawrence……

• Like 1

at 2 kts it's a sloooooooow trip😂

1 hour ago, jackc said:

Tomorrow is an ‘event’ for my newly acquired Thruster T300 flying Mackay to Wowan on its delivery flight to me.

At 2 kts GS I hope you ain't planning to fly beyond your own Rwy length😁

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, jackc said:

I see Jack's thruster near marlborough making 45knots GS on ozrunways.  

• Like 1

First fly since lockdown (it lifted a week ago but wx has been marginal and I've been helping with a build).

After 5weeks, the engine would not initially fire at all: it took 3 sustained crankings of 7 or 8 sec with breaks in between plus cycling of the fuel pump. This was a first for this engine: in 180hrs of operation it has always started just about instantly. At a guess I would say very stale fule in the carb bowls? Once it did fire it vwas business as usual.

So, a few circuits to make sure the feet still work, then a short flight over towards the ranges: this is one of many river valleys in the foothills.  Broken cloud, base approx 2000', stayed under dodging light showers, carb heat on to avoid icing (the online time I've ever had this engine cough was flying up under cloud base.)

Fly_180921.jpg

• Like 8

7 hours ago, Thruster88 said:

On the home straight now. I am nearly as excited as Jack must be.

Screenshot_20210918-092413_Chrome.jpg

Landed right on time, better than a Qantas schedule, bit of a crosswind!

The old 582 ran like a clock the whole way.  Pilot Mike enjoyed his flight and I now have my plane 🙂

• Like 5
  • Winner 1

14 hours ago, Blueadventures said:

You will have to plan a “wing and a prayer “  flight to the tip of the cape.

Anyone got a slow enough plane to come with me 🙂

• Like 1