Tell us about your last flight

Admin

Landing on Orchid Beach, Fraser Island in Queensland has been a goal for many years. I finally manage to achieve this yesterday. The strip looks great from the air however it is not flat with many depressions. Landing on 12 was uneventful however takeoff certainly required soft field technique.

Landing fees $30 payable at the shop. You will need to call ahead for permission on 07 4127 9220. A couple of photos from the ground. The aerial scenery is spectacular as well however waiting on photos from my pax.

OrchidBeach1.jpg

OrchidBeach2.jpg

• Like 7

17 minutes ago, facthunter said:

I pay that to park in a parking station where there's thousands to help keep the place going.. Nev

All day parking fee at Wesley Hospital Bris multilevel car park.  No parking for planes though 🙂

JEALOUS. 

I paid a awful lot more $s using the ferry, Plus national park fee,s & then the private camping area fee,s.

Ferry $ 260, / National Park $ 27 peir night family camp, then a private camp area run by a Queensland university. 

SO 

Can l get a ride on the next trip ,. LOL

spacesailor

• Haha 1

YCWR... I flew the Cowra Club Brumby610 ($130/hour wet) with instructor for an hour yesterday, 8 circuits in hot bumpy condix and 15 kts at 500' cross/ drift, and a couple of other acft in circuit. 

Was a good skills session.  I knew in the many hours  I have now away from the instructor's claws I have developed a few bad habits.

So the refresher is good and a check flight in the logbook looks good for insurance purposes, also.   TT ~ 130h.  Not flying much in the past couple of months  with the Jab in various states of maintenance. Need to keep my skills sharp and current

• Like 8

On leave, so could spend time with the girlfriend! Tragic pic supplied! Flight from Yarram to West Sale, leg stretch and chat with like minded people, then back to Yarram, RAAF East Sale shut down till Jan 7th, as announced over the AWIS….I can picture the Chinese Air Force pilots inbound and smiling with relief at that broadcast info! 😉 So we are allowed to penetrate that sacred airspace in our stick and string machines! Fun little trip, blows out the cobwebs! Spent the day before refitting Garmin 495 to Instrument panel, sits flatter and is more secure, so happy with that. Airborne shot of all the water in the river flood plane just on southern edge of Sale township. If you enlarge , you can make out the runways of RAAF East Sale. PiC on the ground at West Sale. If you fly in, shutting down at the war museum is worth a visit. Added some pics of a poor old Jet Provost looking at bit sorry for itself parked on the edge of the apron. Interesting look at the tip tank attachment to the wingtip….about twice the beefiness of the Gazelle main strut! One shot of the steely eyed sky pirate…flying back to Yarram it was pretty lumpy, the joys of summer thermals!

1BBA6BC4-1EDA-4BBB-BAA8-5AA0B1F64F5D.jpeg

43B7992E-DD23-4DA0-ABDB-4BA85AB0BA81.jpeg

9727A1D4-70AF-4811-9E54-A161950D3C3F.jpeg

B9810E67-73CC-4D0A-90C4-6E786C1CE069.jpeg

DD5A4155-FE54-4201-9D5C-4FE47C77872D.jpeg

49543869-99CE-477C-BC41-7D018DDB4066.jpeg

DA3FC1F0-5C9C-442C-87FA-B3BF3FB74244.jpeg

• Like 11

On 21/12/2021 at 1:04 PM, facthunter said:

When you are rusty you do more Go arounds and are still safe unless you are low on fuel. Nev

Yeah, thought the other day it’s been a while since I chopped power and went for a field. I have this reluctance to subject my engine (the fact it’s “mine” can also have interesting pressures…) to shock cooling, however, I know the Rotax with liquid cooling is not so sensitive, but you still see a big change on oil and CHT temps. Now that summers here, that helps. 
What I try do is land with minimum power changes. From overhead in a CCT join, slowly throttle back to 4000 rpm, in the Gazelle this will hold 60 Kts, then slowly back to 3500 on base, 60-55 Kts, then on final, slowly back to 3000, or keep 3500, all the way down the shute. Kinda fun to see if you can fly the cct with minimum power changes. You get to know your aircraft performance a bit better.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

A plane, shade, green grass and the barbie, does it get any better? It could, an ice cold beer in hand….but please, only after you’ve signed off on the daily for the day!

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Winner 1

Yep that’s it👍 Done a lot of bloody work there already, I was surprised!

it’s gunna be a complex airspace when that’s up and running! No doubt curfewed not long after the first noise complaints come in!

• Like 1

My first for 2022, had planned to land at Bairnsdale, but looking a bit gloomy up ahead. TAF for Bairnsdale and East Sale was calling OVC cloud, base at 3500, I was at that Alt, descended to 2500, but still gloomy vis. I should trust my fuel planning, but I did wish I had put in an extra 5 litres, wind forecast was for possible headwind in the afternoon, which I considered, so I confess I wimped out!🤡 and after cruising towards Sale, as gloomy, decided to head back to Yarram. Some guys had popped over from Leongatha, so had a good chat in the “terminal building” after doing two fun crosswind landing Ccts!  D25BDF31-1152-4A2B-B6D2-58151A003125.thumb.jpeg.78d184ff3611756062d89e3287d220ab.jpeg312D49B9-4E11-496A-8A38-23DDC41F3882.thumb.jpeg.dff24e5dd98aa5a839a29b495559f13e.jpegAs you can see, the wetlands near Sale are….er, really wet! After all the rain we’ve had.2EFD6453-5693-4032-B95A-7F8D70A58982.thumb.jpeg.bbe9cb7c391b0afc5490fc82332b9535.jpegSafely back at Yarram, with a visiting Highlander. So ended another fun RecAvn day!

Edited by F10
Typo
  • Like 10

On 02/01/2022 at 5:26 PM, F10 said:

A plane, shade, green grass and the barbie, does it get any better? It could, an ice cold beer in hand….but please, only after you’ve signed off on the daily for the day!

Hi F10 and others This is the hangar fridge if your staying over and want a cool drink, or a hot drink you have a choice.  Cheers and look forward to a visit. Cheers

Hangar fridge.jpg

Edited by Blueadventures
  • Like 3