And a Savannah S in Sweden.

Skee

Max flap extension speed on my Sav is 52knots. Mind you that is full flap which I never use on takeoff because it is overkill....and can kill you to. I climb out at 60 to have a bit up my sleeve incase the engine stops. I have plenty of time to get the nose down then. I can climb out at 45knots if I want but that is just stupid as there is no margin for error or a engine hiccup. Some climb out at 50 or 55 but I like 60 as my rate of climb is still extremely good and I have the speed safety factor. Best glide speed for the Sav is 55 kts so its really a no brainer. So I only have the flaps out for as long as they need to be any longer and really its just drag and strain on the airframe. Different aircraft with higher flap extension speeds maybe so but in Savannahs this is how I use mine

By the way Skee excellent achievement.

I remember looking at photo of that in the 3rd floor apartment and thinking how innovative you must be and now to follow through to this conclusion.

Awesome effort. And can't wait to hear some reports on the D-Motor.

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...

Winter is here and no flying is happening! its incredibly how much work can take of your time when your trying to be off work.

First of i must say how smooth the Sav flies! compared to my FK9 that i learned to fly in, the Sav flies itself just regulate the power!

After the first flight in november i did another flight the weekend after, and i had a midair engine stop over the field, it was just to sail down, i was so disappointed when engine quit on me knowing that its gonna be a hassle to deal with people to get in the air again, not afraid of emergency landing.045_beg.gif.b05ea876053438dae8f282faacd973d1.gif

What ive done since then is.

• Move the alternator fuse inside cockpit, it actually blew on first flight, quick landing, that's why first flight was 15 minutes.

• Change to a bigger battery 4>18ah so i now have around 1 hour of power backup.

• Problem with restart of motor in air was solved, the starter didn't get enough power form the Vertical Power X fuse system so i had to use a relay for that.

• Then my inspector began nosing around in my electrical, and wondered why i couldnt use both fuel pumps at the same time, since i had a weak battery it was only possible to use one pump, now when i have a more powerful battery i have now recoupled the fuel hoses and electrical for the pumps and it works like a charm.

• The tanks breather that someone used on the forum figured out to be dangerous, air was not getting past enough when transferring fuel from outer to inner tanks, tanks made big noises so i opened tanks and got a huge woosh, this is possibly what got my engine to stop i think.
    347466434_20160204_171101(1).jpg.5395eb36996db5cf93afbba140014351.jpg

• Work with my inspector who insists to do a technical audit cause he feels its needed, not cause its says in any regulations that i need it, if i say no, i wont be flying in that club cause he is the club president.
    So on wednesday the Cheif tech advisor comes up so see the airplane, i'm the first with d'motor on this fuselage, first with Vertical Power X, first with full efis without panel radio and transponder in Sweden, hope they like what they see.

I really want to fly this wonderful slow aircraft =)

Hey man,

now I recognise you. Your the one, who built his Plane in a second floor apartment.

Still remember the part, when you had to reopen your wings, because your inspector changed.

Wish you good luck!

Hey man,now I recognise you. Your the one, who built his Plane in a second floor apartment.

Still remember the part, when you had to reopen your wings, because your inspector changed.

Wish you good luck!

third floor!

Thanks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Winter is here and no flying is happening! its incredibly how much work can take of your time when your trying to be off work.First of i must say how smooth the Sav flies! compared to my FK9 that i learned to fly in, the Sav flies itself just regulate the power!

After the first flight in november i did another flight the weekend after, and i had a midair engine stop over the field, it was just to sail down, i was so disappointed when engine quit on me knowing that its gonna be a hassle to deal with people to get in the air again, not afraid of emergency landing.045_beg.gif.b05ea876053438dae8f282faacd973d1.gif

Great landing, nice job staying focused!

• 3 months later...

So spring has been a real hassle, i did some changes and went flying again, and got a mid air stop again, so i tried to replicate the issue on ground, and yup after some full throttle something got hot in the motor electronics and engine shuts down, now we had problem sorting this out, and its as around the same time another guy got the same issue(he landed outside field), so D-motor sent us a new cam shaft sensor, we changed it and he went flying, and when climbing it stopped, so i refused to fly anymore until cause could be proved.

It resulted in this!

18195412_10154504251731409_1262429924_o.jpg.5b072664a730ef530197d0c7f17a1845.jpg

Engine is now on its way to belgium and i'm getting upgraded from Single ECU to a more well proven redundant ECU, taking the moment to also blast and powder coat my engine mount white.

Summer is here and im still not flying :(

• 3 weeks later...

Just caught up with this thread after a long hiatus.

When I was researching engines, the one thing that I did determine was that had I gone with the DMotor it would certainly have had two ECU's and two batteries/power sources.

As Mark asked any word on what the real problem was. I would certainly be doing more work on the inability to even turn the engine over after the in flight shut down.

GeoffThat issue with not being able to turn the engine over was sorted..it had nothing to do with the ECU it was a electrical issue with how the starter control wiring was done to his EFIS.

I did gather that Mark. Interesting that a critical engine fault highlighted what on any other day should be a minor inconvenience. It does seem that those issues and the 2nd ECU issue were in fact all highlighted to me by the Australian distributor when I was looking. And in fact my decision not to go with the DMotor was due to lack of confidence in the Aussie distributor. It is all very interesting. There is a guy in Scotland (a member of this forum) flying a Hanuman with the L26 and none of the above issues. I wonder if the install and/or local issues are part of the problem. It will be interesting to see what the factory come back with.

• Like 1

Are you putting the engine back in this weekend Dennis?....did they give you a actual reason?

they couldn't replicate the problem on the Dyno(not as hot as in a cowl?), so no they couldn't which is a bit worrying.

Of all engines he has sold it was only mine and one other guy here in Sweden who "had" issues with mid air stops.

Of all engines he has sold it was only mine and one other guy here in Sweden who "had" issues with mid air stops.

And how many have they sold? Ie how many without the problem so we can work out a percentage with the problem?

And how many have they sold? Ie how many without the problem so we can work out a percentage with the problem?

Im engine 69, bought it two years ago, but you should also consider i bought the single ECU mot people buy the double.

He has also licensed manufacturing to china last year, so i have no numbers on how many there is.

Im engine 69, bought it two years ago, but you should also consider i bought the single ECU mot people buy the double.He has also licensed manufacturing to china last year, so i have no numbers on how many there is.

Hi Skee Looking forward to hearing all engine issues sorted and you are enjoying many hours and many good flights in your bird. Regards

Mike

• Like 1

Im engine 69, bought it two years ago, but you should also consider i bought the single ECU mot people buy the double.He has also licensed manufacturing to china last year, so i have no numbers on how many there is.

Soon to be released under the brand name Bex 2017 at an aeromotive engine dealer near you.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...