max weight for front seat pilot

shafs64

Don't have the book in front of me , but from memory it's around 68-69 KGs .................Maj....

Are you talking max or minimum weight maj? I thought some drifters had a minimum weight of pilot

Guest Maj Millard

I think the minimum is 60 something and the max is around 80 KGs, but don't have the book in front of me,so just guessing really.......I 'm about 69 Kg and I always carried a bit of weight in the front when I flew my 582 CB.....Maj

Maj M aren't you thinking of the min weight? Let's just say I recall being told that I'd need quite a bit of ballast if I were to convert.

Went looking and found a manual for a SB-582, min 65kg, max 95kg front seat, so my memory was not playing tricks.

Guest Maj Millard

19-xxxx. These aeroplanes are amateur built with MTOW not exceeding 544kg (1200 lbs) and stall speed in the landing configuration not exceeding 45 Kts (52 Mph).

Private operations only.

Cut and paste from the SB582 book.

FLIGHT CREW AND PASSENGER LIMITS

Minimum flight crew One pilot

Command seat Front seat

Maximum permissible number

of persons on board. 2

Minimum load front seat 65 kg

Maximum load front seat 95 kg

And from the A503-

upload_2014-1-15_12-18-4.png.cf87ed64bcca6beb86da8f6b9fc36645.png

The CoG figure are not right as well, 533mm is not 55% MAC, it's around 33%.

Most Drifters fly better with a bit more weight up front.

Dunno what's the go with the bold, I turn it off and it comes back as soon as I type.

upload_2014-1-15_12-19-19.png.0af08777971cc54da7cdeceeabded9c2.png

Skyfox at 130 Kgs there would have to be a big difference unless he has put weights down the rear, and I wouldn't dare to recommend it structurally. The plane is significantly altered at weights well below the figure you quote in the way it handles. It would be virtually impossible to stall and it would not be possible to 3 point it. You run out of "UP" elevator. Nev

So if the front seat pilots weights say 125 kg. it could be way forward of the COG? what is the empty weight of a drifter.

Cut and paste from the SB582 book.FLIGHT CREW AND PASSENGER LIMITS

Minimum flight crew One pilot

Command seat Front seat

Maximum permissible number

of persons on board. 2

Minimum load front seat 65 kg

Maximum load front seat 95 kg

And from the A503-

[ATTACH=full]26880[/ATTACH]

The CoG figure are not right as well, 533mm is not 55% MAC, it's around 33%.

Most Drifters fly better with a bit more weight up front.

Dunno what's the go with the bold, I turn it off and it comes back as soon as I type.

[ATTACH=full]26881[/ATTACH]

There's basically two types Strut braced and wire braced. I don't have the weights. The rear seat is close to the Cof G and has no real effect except contribute to weight. The one quoted above is SB 582 , Nev

Skyfox at 130 Kgs there would have to be a big difference unless he has put weights down the rear, and I wouldn't dare to recommend it structurally. The plane is significantly altered at weights well below the figure you quote in the way it handles. It would be virtually impossible to stall and it would not be possible to 3 point it. You run out of "UP" elevator. Nev

Hi Nev at the start he put diving belt weights around the boom at the rear 5 kgs ,later on he removed them and flies' with out any now has no problems as far as l no he has plenty of authority over all controls surfaces..

Shafs64 the empty weight of my Drifter is 174 kgs.

cheers Geoff.

Yes Geoff. I have personal experience of the situation I mentioned at a lot less weight than 130 Kgs. If you keep excess speed that's ok, to a point, but you still have a stated limit on a weight related to the airworthiness of the aircraft. 95 kgs to 130 is a big percentage and you are a long way forward of the CofG. Nev

• Winner 1

So if the front seat pilots weights say 125 kg. it could be way forward of the COG? what is the empty weight of a drifter.

According to the manuals, the empty weights vary slightly and the actual weight should be recorded in the particular aircraft's manual.

I have just tried to upload both manuals (SB582 and A503), but I get a "file is too large message.

The SB582 manual has a chart for weight and balance, so you could work out where you stand in regard to CoG.

The empty weight of a strut braced machine is usually around the 250kg mark, from memory, mine (a wire braced) is 268kg but I have a bigger, heavier engine.

G'day M61A1,After I did my Weight and Balance, my Drifter came in at 235kg. It has a 582 upright rotax. What engine do you have that gives the extra 33kg?

I have an 80 hp Verner.

I have an inverted 582 in a Fisher Mk 1, 186 kg, pilot min weight of 68kg and max of 122kg, weight and balance all done by Wayne Fisher, well within the limits and they are clearly marked on the airframe. I have climbed to 7500feet with no problems and have never had a problem 3 pointing or wheeling on, my aircraft slips and turns with great authority and flies hands off at 5200rpm without loosing altitude. This aircraft is a 19 reg and has 400plus flight hours.

• Like 1

hahah shafs…I am that weight and am spewing. Bill has a drifter at Ycab now and I would love to get endorsed on it but too heavy :(….

An acquaintance told me today of someone who flies a drifter at 135kg with any negative physical effects, I can't vouch for the legality of it though, for those who concern themselves with such things.

• 1 year later...

I dont know, my aircraft has has 2 x 110kg gents in it, full tank of fuel for a long cross country flight and performed fine, came in under the MTOW by about 30kg.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1