Blue Mountains Crash

zedman

Here's the update:

A friend of mine, Andrew, was taking off 06 at YKAT at around 5pm yesterday, in his recently purchased SuperCat (single seat, two stroke).

At about 100-150 feet the engine has failed, and the aircraft has crashed in scrub about 100 metres from the end of the runway (24 end).

It took about 45 minutes to find him. Rescue helicopter flew him to Nepean Hospital.

He has severe head injuries. Initial surgery last night lasted 5 hours, and they put him in an induced coma, which he is still in now.

Although the injuries are very bad, and he will be in hospital and rehab for months, at least he is alive.

Further updates as they come to hand.

James

Thanks for the kind words. He will certainly need our support - for a long time. I'm also concerned for his family, as he's self employed - but it's too early to understand the full impact of this incident, and all the implications.

No, he's not on the forums, although there are a few others from YKAT that are.

FYI, here's a photo of a SuperCat i've just found, and a link with info: http://www.pilotfriend.com/experimental/acft6/60.htm

Thanks again Ian.

As more news arrives, i'll pass it on.

James

Guest David C

James ,

Thanks for keeping us informed . So much for Ch7's interpretation of "minor injuries". I hope he makes a full recovery . Our thoughts are with his family .

Dave C

Further update:

Pilot: Still under induced coma. Will stay so for some time, as his head injuries are very serious. The expectation is he will need 4 to 6 reconstruction surgeries over the next 12-18 months to mend things. When they bring him out of the coma - hopefully next week - i'll update you guys. From what is understood, he smashed his face into the instrument panel/dash - shattering most of the bones and cartilage in his face and throat (broken jaw, check bones, nose, larynx etc) plus serious facial lacerations.

Aircraft: Complete right-off. He hit the ground at 85-90 degrees (right on the prop), then the aircraft bounced back 4-5 metres. Apparently the aircraft is a mess. The Police, and the airfield operator, have covered the wreckage with a tarp for further investigation.

Amendment: The crash site was not 100 metres from the 24 threshold, as first reported, but just 30-40 metres - but still in thick scrub, and not clearly visable from the runway.

More news as it comes to hand.

James

Gday guys, hey James,049_sad.gif.af5e5c0993af131d9c5bfe880fbbc2a0.gif without going into too much detail at this stage ( pending further investigations ) it appears he has tried to make it back to the strip and has failed to make "the impossible turn" ( NEVER TURN BACK )

It has taking the shine off a magnificant days flying (Mon) I actually succesfully completed my Flight Cert only 3 hrs before Andrew arrived, and another student (Roger) had a great session of circuits. Conditions were perfect.

We,re all in shock still. Thx everyone for your words of support for Andrew & his family.

My first thoughts reading this was a stall followed by a wing drop and its Game Over. I truly hope he does recover, however by the sounds of it this will not be anything short of a miracle.

Its time to reflect and think what we do, every take off. Do we focus on what we WILL do if we get the same problem.

My flying partner, of almost 30,000 hrs and a few prop stops in the early days of C180-185's and so on, always talks about the fact he would rather fly the plane onto the top of the scrub, controlled and just hold off with the stall warning blarring than stall and spiral into the deck. Also makes another good point...better to over shoot and run into the fence at 30 knots than into the deck at 90!

I speak for everyone, our thoughts are with this chap and his family.

J

Gday guys, hey James,049_sad.gif.af5e5c0993af131d9c5bfe880fbbc2a0.gif without going into too much detail at this stage ( pending further investigations ) it appears he has tried to make it back to the strip and has failed to make "the impossible turn" ( NEVER TURN BACK ) It has taking the shine off a magnificant days flying (Mon) I actually succesfully completed my Flight Cert only 3 hrs before Andrew arrived, and another student (Roger) had a great session of circuits. Conditions were perfect.

We,re all in shock still. Thx everyone for your words of support for Andrew & his family.

Hey Steve,

Yes, on talking with Rod and Leo it appears Andrew attempted the Impossible Turn. I can only assume he felt he had no other alternative but to attempt it, because as you know, either end of each threshold is deep gorge - so i wonder what his fate would have been if he had lowered the nose, as we are tought. Maybe worse, maybe better.

And a further update for those following this thread: Andrew also has a broken forearm, broken wrist, broken leg (below the knee), and a dislocated neck - along with his other woes. He is very lucky to still be with us. Nepean Hospital list him as "serious, but stable".

Aside from that, mate, well done on the Pilot Certificate. It's a big day for you - albeit now a sad one. But either way, you can now progress onto your cross country endorsement, as you'll soon find your 25 mile radius limit very clostrophobic ! 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif But at least you can fly down into the Sydney basin a little.

And in closing, I'm sure Andrew is very thankful for everyones kind thoughts and words while he goes through this ordeal. In fact, all of us from YKAT appreciate the support.

Thanks,

James

Anyone know how many accidents there have been at YKAT in the last few years?? I'm not suggesting anything at all I'm just curious that's all. I remember something in the news a few yrs back about a 206 or 172 or maybe both flipping on landing due to severe wind gusts or something similar?

Not sure, but from what the locals say, no more than any other airfield. It just has a bad rep because of the wind, turbulance and dirt strip.

Yes, i recall the crash about 2-3 years ago. I think it was a 172. The story goes that the pilot failed to use enough rudder on approach, and then lost it when a gust hit because he wasn't ready with the rudder. The story also goes that when he and his passengers got out of the aircraft, he said to the airfield operator, "well, looks like I f*&cked the landing then" !

With YKAT, you got to use your rudder actively, and have your hand on the throttle throughout the whole approach and landing, no room for slacking off. YOU have to fly the plane, not let the PLANE fly you.

James