Does anybody fly a Walkera QR X350 Quad Copter?

Teckair

Yes never thought of that but that was the hot weekend we stayed in the air con. Also the battery charger has packed it in and I am waiting for a new one, I think it may need a firmware upgrade.

• 1 year later...
Get it from Hobby Queen?There quads are crap and so unreliable.

Edit: Doh this post is more than a year old, dunno why it showed up in my recent news feed.

No not from hobby king are you saying Walkera quads are no good? Which ones are the best then?

Hey Richard

I had a guy bring a Phantom3 around to my place and showed me what it could do....I was very impressed...I told a mate of mine and he has bought one to use while out 4wd in remote areas. This phantom3 was very impressive with the ipad mini attached he flew a couple of km away from my house and then returned..heaps of grunt left in the battery pack. My mate is going to test his this arvo at my place so will see how he goes with it. BTW it had awesome video retuning when he was flying

Hey RichardI had a guy bring a Phantom3 around to my place and showed me what it could do....I was very impressed...I told a mate of mine and he has bought one to use while out 4wd in remote areas. This phantom3 was very impressive with the ipad mini attached he flew a couple of km away from my house and then returned..heaps of grunt left in the battery pack. My mate is going to test his this arvo at my place so will see how he goes with it. BTW it had awesome video retuning when he was flying

I look forward to hearing about that in detail.

He didnt have it ready this afternoon he was busy sorting out his new trailer. He has left me the book to read tonight so looks like I might be doing the maiden flight for him

Good luck do you know what mode the transmitter is?

I flew my mates quadcopter for him yesterday arvo. Piece of cake to fly thats for sure and works unbelievable well especially straight out of the box. Its a real worry actually how easy it was to fly although of course I have been flying RC for 40 years it still is a bit different ...its more like steering a car or a bobcat the issue is there could be thousands of these out there son in non pilots hands...so long as they stay below 400ft...which is easy actually you can preprogram the drone to have max height it will go to. Video was outstanding and the control of the camera angles inflight with the gimble is just fantastic not to mention all the live telemetry of position speed height and google mapping that is on the ipad screen in real time. Bloody impressive for 1500 bucks

Mark

I have a fixed wing UAV that can fly 30km with full video downlink.

Designed my self, has a basic airframe from hobbyking but I have put in some decent electronics.

It operates on a secure uhf frequency and the ground station is run from a pc and control using a standard pc joystick.

The pc runs mission planner and also some other software.

Outdoors I have a directional antenna that tracks the aircraft so it can get the line of site signal.

I have only flown it about 15km and got to about 6,000 feet. This was all done from our place on the Surf Coast away from any commercial air transport, the high altitude stuff was done about 4KM offshore from Lorne.

This is a pic of the airframe model

http://diydrones.com/m/blogpost?id=705844%3ABlogPost%3A439568

Has a few failsafe options and often fly it over the beach to check the waves. Don't want to venture to far as its got a heap of $$$$ worth of electronics in it.

My previous background was avionics so if anyone needs help with drones / uav's drop me a line.

I also have about 25 years in the rc hobby.

I have most things sorted now except for the FPV, I have one of these

http://www.uuustore.com/boscam-fpv-58g-200mw-8ch-audio-video-transmitter-ts351-and-receiver-rc305-2km-range-for-rc-multicopter-p-13.html?zenid=k4fg0ekv1tco0abk21g6jbn8f4

this is supposed to be good for 500 metres and 2 klm with a directional antenna but for me almost no range only about 50 metres. How does a directional antenna work?

I have a fixed wing UAV that can fly 30km with full video downlink.Designed my self, has a basic airframe from hobbyking but I have put in some decent electronics.

It operates on a secure uhf frequency and the ground station is run from a pc and control using a standard pc joystick.

The pc runs mission planner and also some other software.

Outdoors I have a directional antenna that tracks the aircraft so it can get the line of site signal.

I have only flown it about 15km and got to about 6,000 feet. This was all done from our place on the Surf Coast away from any commercial air transport, the high altitude stuff was done about 4KM offshore from Lorne.

This is a pic of the airframe model

http://diydrones.com/m/blogpost?id=705844:BlogPost:439568

Has a few failsafe options and often fly it over the beach to check the waves. Don't want to venture to far as its got a heap of $$$$ worth of electronics in it.

My previous background was avionics so if anyone needs help with drones / uav's drop me a line.

I also have about 25 years in the rc hobby.

6000FT !!!!!!! 400 ft is the height limit unless you have a permit and licence. It doesnt matter where you are...

I dont have a problem then as you know the rules.....the problem is there are thousands out there that do not....and in the not too far distant future there will be a mid air for sure....up this way there are UAV FPV RC guys that dont follow any rules. Many of them are flying well above 400 ft on a direct line between caboolture and caloundra airstrips.

Mark

BTW Robbo do you know David Hobby?

.and in the not too far distant future there will be a mid air for sure....up this way there are UAV FPV RC guys that dont follow any rules. Many of them are flying well above 400 ft on a direct line between caboolture and caloundra airstrips.Mark

I have come across a fair few cases of people flying RC where they should not be and tried to explain the rules but they are not interested. All it will take is a mid air and that will get a lot of interest and some serious new rules.

Kyle,

I have never met him but have heard his name around the place, I understand he is involved in rc sloap soaring.

Having been involved in the rc hobby, avionics and advanced electronics and communications (Civilian & Defence) along with an extensive career in most sectors of the aerospace industry I am not a rule breaker, its either by the book or not at all.

In relation to high altitude drones, we have the licences for the radio network along with approvals to operate at this height (we have a bloke who is the king of regulation paperwork that handles all this)

I may have given you the impression that this was a hobby build, it started that way but now we are looking to get our design into a commercial development.

We are looking at the emergency services, surf life saving and more covert operations.

SAFETY IS THE NUMBER 1 PRIORITY FOR US.

David Hobby was the first "employed" UAV pilot it was getting close to 20 years ago now. He spent a lot of time working for private and military UAV pioneering. Long before gps controlled units and auto flight paths. All one with satellite video link in the first of the FPV sort of. Last I heard of David he was still down in Victoria and still doing UAV work. He was a impressive RC jet pilot back in the days when we used to fly ducted fans before turbines came in..I first met him at the Melton jet event back in about 1992 I think when I had my first ducted fan. When Tony Rosen and Trim aircraft were in their hayday

Good luck with the operation you have

Mark