spitfire or mustang?

huggy98

?? I can not believe anyone could put that distance between the 2.

When you stand next to a Sabre, you can see it has some curves to it, probably the way the wing has been blended into the fuselage by flattening the round profile slightly and adding fillets around the wing roots, the Migs are very much as someone described the BAC Lightning previously. Not my cup of tea, but often the beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• Haha 1

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately those attributes came at a cost. Lack of fire power and amour. Especially the fuel tanks.But was still one of my favourites on the Microsoft's Combat Flight Simulator in the good old days......

Very hard to out maneuver and get in behind.............

Two 7.7mg and two 20mm cannon, albeit with slow muzzle velocity. Most victories were achieved without the cannon. Built very light- even flimsy- to meet the almost impossible combination of specs. An amazing performer at the time, without which Japan would not have attacked the Americans and British. I have a theory that if the Luftwaffe had a few squadrons of Zeroes, they may have won the BoB.

So easy to be an armchair historian.

• Like 1

Guest Maj Millard

Back on the Jug,

This was not a porridge -slurping mummas boys, croc wearing guys type aircraft !...

Charles Lindbergh did a lot of the high altitude test flying on the bubble canopy version of the Thunderbolt. It had a more advanced high speed - high altitude type wing.

During WW2 he was in New Guinea as a non-combatant technical adviser with Allison, teaching the P-38 pilots how to lean the engines out for more range (one of his skills). This allowed them to conduct the Yamamoto long-range intercept mission, successfully, in the P-38s. During a sortie with this squadron he had to shoot down a Jap, as he was the only one left with ammo after three Zeros had run the rest out of ammo.

Shortly after Gen Macarthur ordered him to Brisbane. He flew down in a DC-3 (C47) with other pilots going on leave in Australia. Each took turns at flying the DC-3. Lindbergh flew the Port Morsby - Townsville (Garbutt) Leg. On arrival at Macathers office in Brisbane, he thought he was in big trouble for shooting down the Jap as a civilian non-combatant ( Lindbergh was a trained fighter pilot as a Captain prior to his NY-Paris flight ) but it turned out the General just wanted to meet him !.....after a couple of days of rest in Brisbane, he went to Eagle Farm to get an aircraft to ferry back to PNG. Of several types available he chose a P-47 Thunderbolt.

He then filed a flight plan non -stop Eaglefarm to Port Morseby, which the line officer refused to accept saying the aircraft wouldn't have the range. He amended it to Eagle farm - Cairns. Lindbergh flew that jug non-stop from Eagle farm to a US held strip on the Northern coast of PNG, he had gone right over the top of Cairns and Port Moresby !.....

From : 'The Wartime Journals of Charles Lindbergh'...................Maj....014_spot_on.gif.1f3bdf64e5eb969e67a583c9d350cd1f.gif

no. just wondering. just look at the spitfire. got to be the most beautiful plane ever built. love the mustang too. but I am a pom.

The Mustang is undoubtedly the better aircraft but chronologically, if we'd had to wait for the Mussy to get into the battle, ( That's the WW2 one I mean. . .) it would have been too late, and we would probably now be discussing the latest design by Blohm and Voss or Heinkel, or Messerschmitt.

If you are talking about beauty, general appearance and aesthetics, then. . . .we are into . . . " my missus is better looking than yours",. . . . .it's purely a matter of taste.

Phil

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1

from little acorns... its nice to see that a thread that began with just two iconic beauties, has developed into conversations, quotes and great photos (love lima mikes p38 lightening) its interesting that theres not really any arguments. I think that is because aerodynamics sort of creates beauty and although beauty is in the eye of the beholder, who could really argue that a p38 is better than a spitfire, or visa versa for example. its also good to see that more civilian and modern planes have been thrown into the mix. its good that ppl are enjoying this thread and continuing to post. keep the stuff coming. heres a few photos of some beautiful planes to enjoy. I had to include mine.001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gifshad_0917_B.jpg.a231baed977a78b1c8b8fc0702a03afc.jpg

gp5_correct.jpg.b616a54ae5126ead3403347d3e4890ca.jpg

WrightRacer.jpg.fd21ec99b634601f8aef1df344a7997e.jpg

imagesCA0YDAGJ.jpg.c8cc5c4c5ad3a3e3fa074bba8ba981aa.jpg

02375-04722.jpg.da9ab9d2f5d4bbb6d4233dc437a51df3.jpg

• Like 2

Guest Maj Millard

Trivia question....do you know what the two circular brown spots are either side of the intake splitter, on the Mig 15 or 17 ??.........

Trivia question....do you know what the two circular brown spots are either side of the intake splitter, on the Mig 15 or 17 ??.........

It's the signature deposit of Rotax-powered Lightwing drivers when being passed by things... Jabirus, pelicans, Thrusters, weather balloons...

• Haha 1

The Phantom is capability arrogance personified, I admit; but for sheer, bowel-knotting fear, being near even a dead and de-comissioned on of these cannot be matched. I've been up close and personal with two - one at the San Diego Museum of Aerospace and the other at the USAF Museum at Wright-Patterson, and you can't really look at them - your eyes seem to slide off the paintwork. Even just sitting still on the ground they look like the personification of evil. And they could outrun most bullets.

Back on the Jug,This was not a porridge -slurping mummas boys, croc wearing guys type aircraft !...

Charles Lindbergh did a lot of the high altitude test flying on the bubble canopy version of the Thunderbolt. It had a more advanced high speed - high altitude type wing.

During WW2 he was in New Guinea as a non-combatant technical adviser with Allison, teaching the P-38 pilots how to lean the engines out for more range (one of his skills). This allowed them to conduct the Yamamoto long-range intercept mission, successfully, in the P-38s. During a sortie with this squadron he had to shoot down a Jap, as he was the only one left with ammo after three Zeros had run the rest out of ammo.

Shortly after Gen Macarthur ordered him to Brisbane. He flew down in a DC-3 (C47) with other pilots going on leave in Australia. Each took turns at flying the DC-3. Lindbergh flew the Port Morsby - Townsville (Garbutt) Leg. On arrival at Macathers office in Brisbane, he thought he was in big trouble for shooting down the Jap as a civilian non-combatant ( Lindbergh was a trained fighter pilot as a Captain prior to his NY-Paris flight ) but it turned out the General just wanted to meet him !.....after a couple of days of rest in Brisbane, he went to Eagle Farm to get an aircraft to ferry back to PNG. Of several types available he chose a P-47 Thunderbolt.

He then filed a flight plan non -stop Eaglefarm to Port Morseby, which the line officer refused to accept saying the aircraft wouldn't have the range. He amended it to Eagle farm - Cairns. Lindbergh flew that jug non-stop from Eagle farm to a US held strip on the Northern coast of PNG, he had gone right over the top of Cairns and Port Moresby !.....

From : 'The Wartime Journals of Charles Lindbergh'...................Maj....014_spot_on.gif.1f3bdf64e5eb969e67a583c9d350cd1f.gif

I read that he also took off with 4000lbs of weapons loaded on an F4U, while test piloting.

It's the signature deposit of Rotax-powered Lightwing drivers when being passed by things... Jabirus, pelicans, Thrusters, weather balloons...

,I'd believe the Pelicans, Thrusters & weather Balloons Oscar, the other one would be passed by the ever so reliable Rotax as it would keep running for 4000+ hrs instead of 400 if your lucky.

The shot was cheap but I took it.

Auto makers start off small, basic and cheap. Then develop and improve.

Jabiru have achieved the first but seem to be struggling with the second.

Cessna have on the other hand, gone "full circle" and failed to go back to the first.

Guest Maj Millard
I read that he also took off with 4000lbs of weapons loaded on an F4U, while test piloting.

Yes I believe he did some test flying in the Corsair.......Maj....

Guest Maj Millard
Sorry, but there is no competition

Yes Sean, The F4 has always been one of my favourites also. I saw them demonstrated by American pilots at both Richmond and Williamtown RAAF bases during the early 70s. Some of the yank pilots flying them had over 1000 missions in them and some had alread been shot down by SAMs over Vietnam nam. They were in Australia for R&R before returning to the conflict. Some also flew the Mirages, if they could fit into them.............Maj....

Guest Maj Millard
from little acorns... its nice to see that a thread that began with just two iconic beauties, has developed into conversations, quotes and great photos (love lima mikes p38 lightening) its interesting that theres not really any arguments. I think that is because aerodynamics sort of creates beauty and although beauty is in the eye of the beholder, who could really argue that a p38 is better than a spitfire, or visa versa for example. its also good to see that more civilian and modern planes have been thrown into the mix. its good that ppl are enjoying this thread and continuing to post. keep the stuff coming. heres a few photos of some beautiful planes to enjoy. I had to include mine.001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif[ATTACH=full]27387[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]27388[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]27389[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]27390[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]27391[/ATTACH]

Four superb photos there Huggy..........Maj.....

So no more takers on the Mig intake circles ????....what about you FT..you usually know everything...............Maj....

Can you show us a pic of what you are talking about?

Sorry to use Wiki as an authority but this is a really good account of the continuing development of the Tiffie into the Tempest. Costerman's biography gives a fantastic account of the terror that was flying the Tempest and is a must read for those who are interested in the war in the air of WWII...Kaz

Tempest Mk.II[edit]

New Tempest Mk.IIs of the first production batch at Hawker Aircraft, showing the clean, closely cowled engine and the carburettor and oil-cooler intakes in the starboard wing's inner leading edge.

The decision to drop the Hawker Tornado allowed Sydney Camm and his design team to transfer the alternative engine proposals for the Tornado to the more advanced Typhoon II (later to be renamed "Tempest"). As a result the Tempest was designed from the outset to use the Bristol Centaurus 18 cylinder radial engine as an alternative to the liquid-cooled engines which were also proposed. Two Centaurus powered Tempest Mk II prototypes were to be built.[25]

Apart from the new engine and cowling, the Tempest II prototypes were similar to early series Tempest Vs. The Centaurus engines were closely cowled and the exhaust stacks were grouped behind and on either side of the engine: behind these were air outlets with automatic sliding "gills". The carburettor air intakes were in the inner leading edges of both wings, with an oil cooler and air intake in the inner, starboard wing. The radial engine installation owed much to examinations of a captured Focke-Wulf Fw 190, and was clean and effective.

The first Tempest Mk.II, LA602, flew on 28 June 1943 powered by a Centaurus IV (2,520 hp/1,879 kW) driving a four-blade propeller. LA602 initially flew with a Typhoon-type fin and rudder unit. This was followed by the second, LA607, which was completed with the enlarged dorsal fin and first flew on 18 September 1943...

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1