Camit engines - anyone got one?

Jaba-who

• Replies 673
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't like the sound of having to remove barrels every time there's a valve issue. Being able to swap a head out or send for repair was a nice feature

Without CAE parts things look pretty grim for all owners of current engines

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Don't like the sound of having to remove barrels every time there's a valve issue. Being able to swap a head out or send for repair was a nice featureWithout CAE parts things look pretty grim for all owners of current engines

And removing barrels disturbs the crankcase seal. IF Jabiru uses the same Loctite seal methodology for the crankcases as in the present engines, this will prove to be a major problem, with seal breaking and crankcase fretting, and consequent loss of pre-tension on the through bolts - which now also hold the heads on, with four rather than five point attachment ( the earlier development 2210 engines needed several additional head bolts to maintain head sealing). .. CAMit moved to a different crankcase seal technique over three years ago.

• Agree 1

Agree .... Bob

Bob, you said two posts above Jabiru were sourcing there parts elsewhere.

My understanding is Camit were still manufacturing some 3300 parts for Jabiru. Crankshafts etc...

Yes but that's a whole new design, this one is new materials on existing design so not only retains certification but should be lots of problems already found.

How the hell can you change materials and new techniques such as nikasil bores and now casting, and retain certification?

You'll have to excuse me for calling nonsense on that one.

• Agree 1

Bob, you said two posts above Jabiru were sourcing there parts elsewhere.My understanding is Camit were still manufacturing some 3300 parts for Jabiru. Crankshafts etc...

My information was gained in discussion with the Jab people at Narromine yesterday and during those discussions I was advised that they(Jabiru) were sourcing machined parts for their current engines elsewhere other than in Bundaberg. I accepted that on face value without question nor did I discuss the recent Camit issue with them, and know no more about that, than what is on these forums . If the rumours are in fact correct , then it's a sad day for us all, but perhaps not entirely unexpected ..... Bob

Maybe a bit of wishful thinking by Jabiru, the current engines are still made by CAE to Jab specs.

Most talk was about the new engines with parts coming from elsewhere, but fact is they arent real yet

• Agree 1

Most talk was about the new engines with parts coming from elsewhere, but fact is they arent real yet

You may be right but damn, those parts pictured sure look final spec and out of production dies to me.

• Agree 2

It would be the same parts, Jab have been slowly replacing CAE parts for a while

Jabiru complain about bitzer modified engines and if Camit aren't supplying anymore almost all will be except newest ones

Yes they did look final and well done, hard part is anyone buying a new engine will now wait.

From what was said I got the impression there are only one of these engines ever built and running. One pictured for just a few hrs. Long way to go in my eyes.

Some parts have done more.

It would be the same parts, Jab have been slowly replacing CAE parts for a whileJabiru complain about bitzer modified engines and if Camit aren't supplying anymore almost all will be except newest ones

Yes they did look final and well done, hard part is anyone buying a new engine will now wait.

From what was said I got the impression there are only one of these engines ever built and running. One pictured for just a few hrs. Long way to go in my eyes.

Some parts have done more.

I was at a meeting a few weeks back where rod stiff spoke about the new engines and he said the new engine or one of the new engines had been on a test bed run at full revs for 3 days non stop ( except for refuels and stops to do the required maintenance due to the hours clocking up) and another ( or perhaps same one at different time I don't recall which) had several hundred hours in flight in an airframe. Several staff had sore butts from flying all day every day!

I was at a meeting a few weeks back where rod stiff spoke about the new engines and he said the new engine or one of the new engines had been on a test bed run at full revs for 3 days non stop ( except for refuels and stops to do the required maintenance due to the hours clocking up) and another ( or perhaps same one at different time I don't recall which) had several hundred hours in flight in an airframe. Several staff had sore butts from flying all day every day!

yes correct but theres several versions of the "new" 2210 engine, one in aircraft has machined case and ran a couple of versions of bolted heads for some time, Done 300hrs total I think over couple of years now.

Not sure what version the one test cell has, assume its latest cast block with cast, screwed heads. - but its done 1000hrs as you indicate

Other in aircraft at Narromine had around 10 hrs at the time.

Test bed or test cell? I may be being pedantic but there is a significant difference between being run at full revs for 3 days on a test bed and being run run through a documented certification test regime in a fully instrumented test cell. I seem to recall that Oscar has some knowledge about test requirements in a test cell and may have posted about those differences here earlier.

I am only aware of one fully instrumented test cell for this class of engine in Qld. There may be others that I don't know of but I don't believe that Jabiru has been using that one.

...one of the new engines had been on a test bed run at full revs for 3 days non stop ( except for refuels and stops to do the required maintenance due to the hours clocking up)

Pausing for maintenance due to the hours clocked up in three days?

Also the flight testing should tell them they need to design better seats. The base is not so comfortable.

Agree .... Bob

Cam it website today.

A response to recent rumours

August 17, 2016 • CAMit Update

A few rumours have been circulating recently, to different effects: that CAMit is about to close its doors, that we have already laid off employees, and more.

We want to address these rumours and mention that they are not true.

One of the questions asked just last night on the Jabiru & CAMit Aircraft Engines Yahoo! group* was this:

A couple of weeks ago at Oshkosh, a high ranking official of Jabiru USA told me that Camit was about to close their doors, employees had already been laid...

Read more →

• Informative 1

I got an email 3 days ago from a Mate, parts of ...

There were rumors that they were in financial difficulty - it

depends on how much of their gear they owned and how much the bank

owned....... In their hey-day, they made 90 Jabiru badged engines /

month - down to 9 or 10 more recently - plus a couple a month of their

own brand.

Still sad to see but the blame falls squarely on Jabiru - who just didn't

develop their design. To give you an idea - there are 3 guys in my SAAA

chapter with Jab's ( 2200 & 3300 ) - all very experienced pilots - and not

one had their engines go past 150 hrs without a top end rebuild - that is

bl00dy hopeless.

A mate of mine in Bundy who is a pilot as well. His next door neighbour assembled the engines. He was layed off on friday and so were the rest of the staff

Jab has just shown their “new” engine at Ozkosh this weekend. Apparently will be in production late this year and the 6 cyc early next year. Jab will be machining their own castings for the blocks and heads have nikasil bore sleeves

Pausing for maintenance due to the hours clocked up in three days?Also the flight testing should tell them they need to design better seats. The base is not so comfortable.

3 days is 72 hours.

The ASTM certifying requirements specifies 200 hours of testing, in runs of (mostly) 2-hour blocks, that have phases of operation designed to provide the same stresses that happen in real life - including idling, full-power running, 75% power running, power-back running. This simulates not just the reciprocating stresses but also thermal changes - heating and cooling. There are also 'limit' tests by which the manufacturer sets the operational limits (to less than the test performance), plus tear-down inspections etc.

Yeah I think the engine ran for 30+ days not 3

30+ days is more than 700 hours except that they need stop the engine to do some maintenance and measurements on a periodical basis. Some were surprised that you might stop and do maintenance after only 3 days (in excess of 70 hours). I am sure even a Camit or Rotax would also need that.

I vaguely recall him mentioning the longer time. ( maybe it was 1000 hours I don't recall) the bit that I do recall was in whatever time they ran it for at whatever revs to satisfy the rules Rod Stiff definitely said they had a period where they ran it full open throttle for 3 Days. So I am left to surmise given the info added by others then it was probably much more with variable amounts but for some of it it was flat bikkies for 3 days.

Bex - as I have said jabiru did develop their design. Just that their designs were in a different direct to Camits. As I said when I was given a list of changes in development made jabirus exceeded Camits changes in design.

Always a bit faulty to look only at a small number in a small area as an indication of anything.

We have about a dozen jabiru engines in our Area. i don't know of any of them that has had major problems early. Yep - One threw a valve and had a stoppage but at over 600 hours but the owner had been running it fairly hot for quite some time ( years). Others have run right up to the top end TBO.

• Agree 1

Always a bit faulty to look only at a small number in a small area as an indication of anything.

We have about a dozen jabiru engines in our Area. i don't know of any of them that has had major problems early.

Bit of a contradiction there stating that someone else's small example is not relevant while your similarly small example is.

I was actually born with one eye, what's your excuse?