New 701 Builder

Tadge

G'day All,

Well I have finally decided to purchase a 701 kit. Now playing the waiting game for the components to arrive.

I have been doing battle with the Sunshine Coast Council and Unity Water to have a 8m x 7m shed built at home... Long story short, it won't be happening. So the home garage will have to be it! Unfortunately due to available storage I can't get the entire kit sent over so will have to suck up the extra freight and go with the component kits. Starting with the rudder and tail.

No doubt I will have plenty of questions for other 701 builders over the next year or so.

Regards,

Brendon

G'day All,Well I have finally decided to purchase a 701 kit. Now playing the waiting game for the components to arrive.

I have been doing battle with the Sunshine Coast Council and Unity Water to have a 8m x 7m shed built at home... Long story short, it won't be happening. So the home garage will have to be it! Unfortunately due to available storage I can't get the entire kit sent over so will have to suck up the extra freight and go with the component kits. Starting with the rudder and tail.

No doubt I will have plenty of questions for other 701 builders over the next year or so.

Regards,

Brendon

Hi Brendon, that's exciting, all the best with your build and remember lots of pics for this forum so we can enjoy as well.

• Agree 1

Hi Brendon,

I have a client at Bribie Island wanting to build the same size shed and he is having the same battle as you but with the Moreton Bay Council, I don't think he is going to win his battle with them either sorry to say, another shed I missed out on..bugger.. 013_thumb_down.gif.ec9b015e1f55d2c21de270e93cbe940b.gif

David

Rankamateur, I have had a hard enough time convincing the missus to use the garage!

DGL Fox, yep it hasn't been much fun. It has been going on for 8 months now and I have given up... Too hard basket. If my house was build a year or so later then it wouldn't have been a problem, apart from moving a sewage line, crazy stuff.

Anyone have an idea how long the shipping takes from the factory? I'm figuring around 3 months.

Regards,

Tadge

• 2 weeks later...
Well this is the first of what will be many updates.The workbench is done... Now to wait for the kit.

Tadge

Hi Tadge,

so have you heard when your kit arrives?

David

That is only my guess from previous sea freight. Not to mention the extra couple of weeks for customs and quarantine.

Hope it turns up earlier! I am ready to get into it!

Brendon

Tadge, you may have mentioned it earlier in the thread, but did you consider a savannah? If so what made you choose a 701? Curious, as I may be a builder once my 601 is done

G'day Hongie,

The Sav was certainly on my list. I chose the 701 purely because it has been on my to do list for some time now, plus I just like it (slats etc)... There is no doubt the Sav has far better specs and price is on par for both.

I fly for a living, and the machinery I'm on has every toy under the sun. I just want a simple aircraft for poking around locally. If I want to go long distance, I'll take a burner!

If your after an allrounder the Sav will fit the bill better than the 701 IMO. Having said that a 701 and 601 will do it all.

On another note, the Sav only comes as a complete kit. As my shed plans got canned I only have limited storage, I am building the 701 from component kits to save some space, downside is the extra shipping costs.

Regards,

Brendon

Brendon we have a 701 - 601 - and a 750 in the brisbane area. The 701 is flying the other two are to fly this year.

Our kits took about 6 weeks from factory to Brisbane.

You are quite welcome to come and visit anytime.

Ianrat

Ch601 XL B

Brisbane

• 4 weeks later...

image.jpg.a609bb97e1b391a83b9ca5c2107d424b.jpg

Well the tail kit turned up today.

Unfortunately we are short on pilots at work so it will have to wait 3 weeks before I can start. Still awaiting an electrition to show up to wire up the garage for 15a for the compressor, after having 2 no show just to quote... Business must be good!

Been watching the homebuilthelp vids and studying the plans, I think I'm ready.

Tadge

Hi Tadge,

If don't have any joy with your electrician I have someone that may be able come and do it for you, let me know if you need him, your on the Sunshine Coast?

David

• 5 weeks later...

G'day All,

After a longer than usual stint at work and a two week wait for an electrician to wire up the garage for 15a, I finally got a start.

I am running a Kitlog Pro website and all details will be uploaded there.

http://www.mykitlog.com/tadge/

So today I got the rudder skeleton drilled out and deburred. Monday I'll alodine and paint thn all going well I should have the skeleton riveted up ready for skins mid week.

I'll make a short update here when I update the Kitlog site for those interested.

Regards,

Brendon

G'day All,After a longer than usual stint at work and a two week wait for an electrician to wire up the garage for 15a, I finally got a start.

I am running a Kitlog Pro website and all details will be uploaded there.

http://www.mykitlog.com/tadge/

So today I got the rudder skeleton drilled out and deburred. Monday I'll alodine and paint thn all going well I should have the skeleton riveted up ready for skins mid week.

I'll make a short update here when I update the Kitlog site for those interested.

Regards,

Brendon

Onya Tadge. I am sure you'll enjoy the build process. Keep us up to date 020_yes.gif.58d361886eb042a872e78a875908e414.gif

G'day 80,

I'm sure excited. Its sure been a long time in the works!

As soon as the box turned up I did a stocktake and it was 100%. The packaging was better than what I have received from the likes of Sikorsky or Eurocopter so very impressed to say the least.

Regards,

Brendon