Change of President

DonRamsay

On the RA-Aus website:

Change of President

March 13, 2014 | members

On 7 March Rod Birrell announced that he would be stepping down from the President’s role and resuming his position as an ordinary board member. The President’s role is one that demands a lot of time and effort and as a result Rod feels that with his personal interests and business duties he can no longer give it the attention that it deserves.

Since this time the board has called for nominations for a new President and held an election and at this time wishes to publicly announce the role will be filled by Michael Monck. Michael, Rod and the rest of the board will now be working to transfer responsibilities from Rod to Michael in a timely manner.

In the meantime the Secretary’s position has been left vacant and the board is now following the correct processes to fill this office. When this process is complete we will make another announcement to inform the members.

Michael Monck

For and on behalf of the board

Good to see the Board operating in a considered and controlled fashion. This is what Good Governance is about.

We owe thanks to both Rod for his service as President and to Mick for taking on this difficult role at a difficult time.

Don

• Agree 6
  • Caution 1

Yeah weren't you the guy that scoffed and ripped into someone else here who mentioned this resignation a few days ago?An apology to her seems appropriate about now no?

No, GG. What he said was to wait for an announcement from the people involved rather than going on rumour. Didn't look like 'scoffing' and 'ripping' to me.

• Agree 4

Yeah weren't you the guy that scoffed and ripped into someone else here who mentioned this resignation a few days ago? An apology to her seems appropriate about now no?

Thanks sfG.

Gnarly, if you look at the date of her post (3 days before the actual resignation) you might assess that post as a bit of

premature speculation?

and that's never a good thing.

• Agree 1

So you believe she is a prophet?

But yeah, I guess you have a point Don. RAAus is pretty efficient with announcements and stuff so we should just wait for the official pronouncement. Also that's how the media works right, they wait for the press release to come.

Thanks sfG.Gnarly, if you look at the date of her post (3 days before the actual resignation) you might assess that post as a bit of

premature speculation?

and that's never a good thing.

Errr, the original post was dated the 7 march, the 'official announcement' stated that the resignation occurred on the 7 march. The only thing that the dates don't match up on is the 3 day delay for the official announcement. Nothing premature in that. The only 3 days involved was for the board to decide on a replacement.

Sorry, I think your conclusion about 'premature speculation' is 100% incorrect and very much out of order.

• Agree 2

Yeah weren't you the guy that scoffed and ripped into someone else here who mentioned this resignation a few days ago?An apology to her seems appropriate about now no?

Could be a case of having the very good oil, with the inside running and the finger of the pulse and of course the eyes wide open.

If one is a punter it is called "A hot tip"

Regards

Keith Page

• Like 1

thanks very much gnarly guru and greybeard i was thinknig the same thing about this Don guy and why he seemed to stomp on me for announcing this and trying to make me feel bad about posting it but then goes and posts it himself. he resigned several days before the official date of the announcment on the website so this idle speculation sounds comment like sour grapes that he didnt know first.http://www.recreationalflying.com/threads/president-resigned.114512/page-2

An apology would indeed be nice from Don as it is obvious that he does not have his finger on the pulse like he thinks he does. i myself like to keep in touch with my board member and instructors etc and on this occasion i was officially advised that this happened. maybe i will go and post elsewhere if i will be treated like this in the future.

arent you the guy that lasted 5 miunutes on the board Don?

I will stick with you "deborahlwayman" you get the good oil early while the others are hopping out of the shower on one leg.

Thank you for early info.

Regards

Keith Page.

• Agree 2

If the ex-president wanted some "dignity" with his resignation, he should have made it public FIRST rather than let rumour and gossip out him first.

The Presidency is a Board level position and can only be filled from the board.

Ron and the board would have looked pretty stupid if having resigned no-one was prepared to nominate for the job, or if a goose had nominated and Ron had to throw his hat back into the ring for the safety of the organisation.

What has been indicated, once again, is that there is transparency in the organisation but you need to know someone (who knows someone) to find out the chink into which one should peer.

I think Michael will make a good President even though there will be the incessant mutterings (ravings, even) about him being tainted by the Canberra based, left wing, public service, trade union rubbish that will bring the RAA to its knees..

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

I think Michael will make a good President even though there will be the incessant mutterings (ravings, even) about him being tainted by the Canberra based, left wing, public service, trade union rubbish that will bring the RAA to its knees..

There will be the mutterings, we can be assured - but how well did RAA do with a succession of 'good old boys' including FNQ's finest... RAA's business isn't being best at holding barbeques and swilling beer, it's a damn technical administrative function. Anybody who thinks it can 'get by' by shouting that people who seem more than marginally educated and seek to apply intelligence to the problems that RAA faces are chardonnay-sipping leftist wankers, is going to find her/himself sitting on a deserted shore wondering to where the tide of their aviation activities went out..

RAA painted itself into a corner by the actions - or indeed, the inactions - of an 'old guard' that was incapable of accepting that things were moving inexorably onwards. The only way out of that corner is through a window of rapidly-narrowing opportunity (to severely mangle some metaphors). Some will point to a 'fiefdom' mentality on the part of certain members of RAA management of past years, with justification. The idea that RAA management has been an 'old boys club' cannot have grown without some basis.

There has been a significant, though not tectonic, changing of the guard on the RAA Board. The election of Michael Monck as President is simply a part of that. Let the capability of the man be judged on the results of his actions, not prejudged by imagined factors ascribed to his location.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Winner 1

It seems to me that the duty of loyalty owed by Board members and employees has been breached. Someone, most likely but not necessarily a Board member, has confided in another individual and Rod's resignation has been made public before he and the Board were prepared to make that announcement. It was confidential, personal information belonging to Rod until announced to the world.

Each party passing on the knowledge almost certainly did so "in confidence" which leaves me wondering about the ethics of each of them.

So who owes whom an apology?

Kaz

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Winner 1
  • Caution 1

The person who castigated the original poster and accused them of 'premature speculation' seems to be the one who should be getting their knees dirty with an apology.

Since when is the resignation of a board member of an incorporated body something that involves 'secret squirrels'? The resignation would have to be made known to the membership ASAP. So all the huffing and puffing is because the board didn't get to sit on the information for a couple of days. Bah, maybe there should be a tad more focus in why the role of president is a revolving door than on faffing around with delaying the disclosure of information to the world.

To make it easier next time here's a procedure.

1/ President resigns by advising secretary.

2/ Secretary advises rest of board and membership.

3/ Board elect new President.

NB delay between steps in this world of electronic communication should be in the order of several hours plus/minus time zones. As soon as step 1 has occurred, vice president assumes the role until step 3 occurs.

• Agree 6

NB delay between steps in this world of electronic communication should be in the order of several hours plus/minus time zones. As soon as step 1 has occurred, vice president assumes the role until step 3 occurs.

We don't have a position of Vice President, a situation which is to be put the GM with a proposal to fix.

Don't forget to vote (or proxy)

I couldn't care less about who leaked what or who said what. I do care about the integrity of the board and the fact that information is dispersed before any official announcement. All this confirms the worst kept secret of RA-Aus. There is no unity among executive members, no trust, no loyalty and seemingly no desire towards a single goal.

We all have our axe to grind but those who put themselves forward as representatives of the 10,000 members should at least have the dignity & respect to put the requirements of the members above their own personal agenda. Some have done so and fallen by the wayside. Their efforts are to be commended but until the trickle becomes an overwhelming flood little will change. While such disparity exists our future is just more of the same.

• Agree 1

its very simple. the website does not get updated quickly enough. Everyone who knows anyone will find out before the website goes live. no big deal really, its called life. everyone on here sounds like a bunch of lawyers or at least they try to.

Funny how we often sound just like we are, isn't it?

Kaz

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Winner 1

The website is a "live document". Hopefully several people have the skills and access to post on it.

Obviously with the right authorisation. Should only take a couple of hours to post the presidents resignation, informing members efforts are underway to elect another.

Unless of course web access has been outsourced to Bangladesh to a part-time employee who works 3 hours per week. ........

its very simple. the website does not get updated quickly enough. Everyone who knows anyone will find out before the website goes live. no big deal really, its called life. everyone on here sounds like a bunch of lawyers or at least they try to.

Good Morning deborahlwayman

They can be referred to as "Bush Barristers"..

Regards

Keith Page.

Good Morning deborahlwaymanThey can be referred to as "Bush Barristers"..

Regards

Keith Page.

That is a bit insulting to Kaz you know Keith.

thank you Keith i think you are on to something there.

Go easy Keith, KAz is a real one!

• Agree 1

Errr, the original post was dated the 7 march, the 'official announcement' stated that the resignation occurred on the 7 march. The only thing that the dates don't match up on is the 3 day delay for the official announcement. Nothing premature in that. The only 3 days involved was for the board to decide on a replacement.Sorry, I think your conclusion about 'premature speculation' is 100% incorrect and very much out of order.

Grey Beard, "premature speculation" was 100% accurate as the claim of Rod's resignation was four days before he actually advised the Board that, in time he would be stepping down.

Despite being accurate, I agree it was intemperate and and out of order. We like to think that RecFlying is not another PPRuNe and that we like to maintain a decent level of decorum. So, remarks like "premature speculation" do not belong here.

Refer also post 32 in the "President Resigned" thread.