Gyro fatal in Nowra

I honestly think that Jabiru 7252 has been hammered a bit here that really isn't called for by peeps, I assume are over 66. What he is saying is that of 66 age MAY be a factor. He is not saying that everybody that makes their 66 birthday are going to cark it any time soon. Common guys, jeez.

• Agree 3
  • Caution 2

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I honestly think that Jabiru 7252 has been hammered a bit here that really isn't called for by peeps, I assume are over 66. What he is saying is that of 66 age MAY be a factor. He is not saying that everybody that makes their 66 birthday are going to cark it any time soon. Common guys, jeez.

It's okay. Statistics is part of my job and unlike many who post here, I know more than most would realise. Let them flaunt their ignorance.

• Informative 1

Guest Andys@coffs
Statically, the average Australian family is 3 and half members.....I think. ( read it somewhere )Go figure.....

Maybe they get that by adding IQ and dividing by 100....... (although by definition 100 is the average...or was when it was established....does Australia buck the average 029_crazy.gif.9816c6ae32645165a9f09f734746de5f.gif)

Andy

Statistically the average australian has less then 2 arms;)

& less than 2 legs, 10 fingers, 10 toes, 2 kidneys, a full set of teeth, tonsils & numerous other bits so guess what, the average Australian is a freak.037_yikes.gif.f44636559f7f2c4c52637b7ff2322907.gif086_gaah.gif.afc514336d60d84c9b8d73d18c3ca02d.gif

• Agree 1

No more speculating needed as to the cause, onboard gopro with last 10 mins of flite, confirmed findings.

Report will follow at the appropriate time.

Russ

• Like 1
  • Informative 2

""No more speculating needed as to the cause, onboard gopro with last 10 mins of flite, confirmed findings.""

Sounds like its a done deal.

Have you had the results of the other areas of the investigation - could these have some bearing on this gyro accident as well , for example - toxicology, autopsy, metallurgy, etc etc.

The Coroner's report will bring these and other lines of thought into consideration too.

Here is a link to a recent Coroners report ( PDF ) for a fatal gyrocoptr accident - 33 pages with input from CASA, ATSB, State Police, ASRA and Health n Safety - it's an interesting read and raises some concern over which agency was the lead investigator too.

http://www.courts.qld.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0004/217795/cif-beresford-sj-20131205.pdf

Regards

Steve

mmm...I offered the contact details of a trained pilot, who saw this gyro flying over his house only moments before it pranged. The investigator didnt even take his details, let alone talk to him.

Further, he didnt think turbulence was a factor due to the mountains being 6 miles away. even tho this was the current winds:

AMD OVERVIEW:

SEVERE TURBULENCE BLW 7000FT [REFER TO SIGMET]. ISOLATED

THUNDERSTORMS W OF MVI/YCOM, EXTENDING TO N OF YPKS/YSNW AFTER 23Z.

ISOLATED SHOWERS, TENDING SCATTERED N OF YPKS/YSNW AFTER 23Z. BROKEN

LOW CLOUD IN PRECIPITATION. BROKEN LOW CLOUD RANGES/SLOPES W OF

YORG/YGLB/KIAN UNTIL 23Z. TROUGH NEAR YCWA/YMER, EXPECTED DOORA/YSRI

BY 23Z.

WIND:

2000 5000 7000 10000 14000 18500

330/25 310/30 300/35 300/45 PS02 290/45 MS04 290/45 MS12

REMARKS:

[1] WIND ABOVE 7000 UP TO 20 KNOTS STRONGER SW OF MVI/YSNW AND UP TO

30 KNOTS AFTER 20Z AND THROUGHOUT BY 23Z.

[2] WIND AT 5000FT UP TO 20 KNOTS STRONGER THROUGHOUT AND UP TO 30

KNOTS STRONGER BY 14Z.

[3] WIND BLW 7000FT TENDING 250/25 SW OF TROUGH. WIND AT 2000FT UP TO

20 KNOTS STRONGER SEA/COAST AHEAD OF TROUGH.

The accident happened at approx 23z

The mountain range causes chronic turbs in a nor wester. We dont even bother pulling planes out, as indeed, we didnt that day.

Im not saying this was a factor, but i would have thought at LEASt deserved some consideration. I told the investigator that i believed the tubs would have been very severe. he disagreed, as the mountains were too far away.. All I could do was offer my thoughts, having flown in the area quite a bit.

The information from the police was that it was "nice weather"..So thats what they seem to go on. The problem with the leeside turbs is that it doesnt look nasty on the ground. At all..get to 200 feet and its like a washing machine.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative 2

Guest GraemeM
mmm...I offered the contact details of a trained pilot, who saw this gyro flying over his house only moments before it pranged. The investigator didnt even take his details, let alone talk to him.Further, he didnt think turbulence was a factor due to the mountains being 6 miles away. even tho this was the current winds:

AMD OVERVIEW:

SEVERE TURBULENCE BLW 7000FT [REFER TO SIGMET]. ISOLATED

THUNDERSTORMS W OF MVI/YCOM, EXTENDING TO N OF YPKS/YSNW AFTER 23Z.

ISOLATED SHOWERS, TENDING SCATTERED N OF YPKS/YSNW AFTER 23Z. BROKEN

LOW CLOUD IN PRECIPITATION. BROKEN LOW CLOUD RANGES/SLOPES W OF

YORG/YGLB/KIAN UNTIL 23Z. TROUGH NEAR YCWA/YMER, EXPECTED DOORA/YSRI

BY 23Z.

WIND:

2000 5000 7000 10000 14000 18500

330/25 310/30 300/35 300/45 PS02 290/45 MS04 290/45 MS12

REMARKS:

[1] WIND ABOVE 7000 UP TO 20 KNOTS STRONGER SW OF MVI/YSNW AND UP TO

30 KNOTS AFTER 20Z AND THROUGHOUT BY 23Z.

[2] WIND AT 5000FT UP TO 20 KNOTS STRONGER THROUGHOUT AND UP TO 30

KNOTS STRONGER BY 14Z.

[3] WIND BLW 7000FT TENDING 250/25 SW OF TROUGH. WIND AT 2000FT UP TO

20 KNOTS STRONGER SEA/COAST AHEAD OF TROUGH.

The accident happened at approx 23z

The mountain range causes chronic turbs in a nor wester. We dont even bother pulling planes out, as indeed, we didnt that day.

Im not saying this was a factor, but i would have thought at LEASt deserved some consideration. I told the investigator that i believed the tubs would have been very severe. he disagreed, as the mountains were too far away.. All I could do was offer my thoughts, having flown in the area quite a bit.

The information from the police was that it was "nice weather"..So thats what they seem to go on. The problem with the leeside turbs is that it doesnt look nasty on the ground. At all..get to 200 feet and its like a washing machine.

What investigator are you referring to please?

Graeme.

I don,t know what caused this incidence, perhaps weather was actually not a factor. The release of details will be at the appropriate time, as this matter is processed.

I too wait to hear the details. Being a fatality, I would expect "procedures" to take some time, as they have done in the past.

Can recall a matter that was tied up in the courts system for about 2 yrs, before release of details was permitted........so wait it is.

Notice how far the hills are away in the photo. Someone posted a photos of the area where Shirley Strachan went down in the helicopter. I had always visualised someone flying right next to cliffs, but the hills in that photo were also quite a ,ong way in the background.

Now maybe both photos don't show the hills as close as they were, but it would certainly make you cautious about flying downwind from hills on a windy day.

Graeme. It was one of the ASRA guys. I dont understand, the weather was NOT fine. Perhaps the quote from the paper was not correct.

The leeside turbulence in the area reaches far out to sea. You can see it on the surface of the water for miles when the winds are up. Going off the forecast there could have been 50 kts winds from the north west. And Observations from the ground only a few miles form the crash site, were "incredibly unfavourable" for light aircraft.

The video may have already been viewed when I spoke to them, and they may have already discovered the reasons. But surley they would want to gather as much info as possible? Im not bagging, just wondering what methods of investigation are employed. I could be way off the mark.

i was flying that day in the sydney basin, winds at 3000ft were approx 40kts! at some points we were flying with a drift correction angle of about 20 to 30 degrees, in a 120 kt machine! given the weather report, the scene of the crash, i would put it right in the middle of rotor turbulence hot spot.

I don't know much at all about gyro's but the modern ones appear to be safer and well engineered.

Hows it going mate? Am only green with gyros, but from what I have seen..the modern ones have different issues, as the incident numbers show, but most of their problems are handling issues on take-off, due to very powerful pre-rotators, which give a false sense of security in some sort. When you look at these bingles, most are roll overs caused by "blade flapping"..when getting a bit carried away..usually very expensive, but hardly any injuries... all in all, similar to ground looping a fixed wing tail dragger..only in a different axis. As far as gyro design goes...had same thoughts initially re modern.. but you cant really get past a decent, Aussie designed machine..dont forget..most of those "basics' werent designed for recreational flying, but for getting abused for mustering etc...regardless of legal or not. In my time, seen a lot of rec fixed wing UL's etc, which a gyro certainly is not (my little basic has a 500kgs mtow), like even an X-Air etc, which we had too, are made from "Bunnings Aerospace" style materials/alloy tubing etc... never seen an Aussie gyro with anything but aviation grade materials and AN hardware.

Nobody knows what happened really last weekend, however ..really..everyone does... and we all just waiting for the official outcome. As for the 2 ASRA investigators, I know both of them, and we "live" in same hangar...one of them trained me up... and all I can say.. I wasnt there ..but as far as I know Mr Wardill and Mr Barker...there are no fussier guys when going over my gyro to get it all sorted...and if I want/need to get advise...thats the guys I go to...and I very much doubt..either of them would neglect ANYTHING to find out what really happened... if they had the gopro cam, and it was recording... maybe nothing more was required. ...Just another sad incident... irrelevant if it had wings or rotors...

• Informative 1

Statically, the average Australian family is 3 and half members.....I think. ( read it somewhere )Go figure.....

I got ripped off I only got a 1/4 not a 1/2 Mummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Dadddddddddddddd

I got ripped off I only got a 1/4 not a 1/2 Mummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Dadddddddddddddd

thank you Russ.thank you...awesome.. You fly Tecnam, right? dont want to appear ignorant...but Tecnam..thinking ..they had some dicey spam can a decade ago..always was scared of it of falling apart..just wasnt same as a decent built Ballina Lightwing 912..but times change... but flying a Technam...got nothing to do with a Gyro mate...we got some of them things next door... and the "new" Drifter 4 hangars up for 195,- @ Bill's seems a bargain :-)

• Like 1