Airstrip/hangar in the Canberra or Goulburn area

dodo

I am looking for somewhere to hangar a rag and tube aircraft within about an hour of Canberra.

Goulburn may be an option, if pricy - does anyone know of availability and costs to hangar a plane(and fly from) Goulburn? And who I could talk to?

Does anyone have any other ideas? - access to a paddock with a shed would be fine, and quite happy to pay for that?

The main requirement is within about an hour of Canberra, and available. It would be a rag and tube, so no need for long or sealed runways, so maybe a paddock and temporary hangar?

any ideas appreciated,

dodo

EDIT - Bugger - I can't fix the typo in the subject! (Sorted - Mod xox)

there are strips at Cooma, and a glider strip on the monaro hwy between Cooma and canberra, also, there is another strip on the same road about 1/3 out from Canberra. als, might give dick Smith a call, he has hangars and strip at Gundaroo.

I haven't lived there for 20 years but there used to be a decent strip just outside Bungendore on the road to Gearys Gap at the southern end of Lake George. It was parallel to the road on the right hand side heading out of Bungendore, just before the road starts winding up the escarpment.

Currandoolley near Bungendore, Collector 2 near Collector, and Dick Smith's strip at Gundaroo are all private,and happy to stay so...

I assumed glider strips wouldn't normally be available for keeping an ultralight - or have I missed something useful there?

Polo Flat at Cooma might be OK but is a bit more than an hour, and topographically poor, especially for winter in a rag and tube.

As noted earlier, the two requirements are distance/travel time - and availability.

Any ideas? Or knowledge of what goes on at Goulburn now?

dodo

Hi Dodo,

For my own elucidation, not having a dig....

Whats the poor opinion on Polo Flat? What do you mean by topographically poor? And whats that got to do with Winter? - or are you combining two separate considerations in the one sentence??

Some of the best flying days are to be had on a fine day (admittedly, either side of the extreme depths of Winter) with the Great Divide on one side and the snow capped ranges off to the SW...just stunning. Certainly moreso than Goulburn I would imagine....

From the end of Tuggeranong (whatever that roundabout is) it's just on 1:10 at a shade over the speed limit, which is perfectly normal for all the locals and the road conditions. The highway patrol don't even seem to blink right up to 110kph ...I've thought 'I'm gone' so many times...but no. This is not advice btw, just an observation :-)

Long story short...give Polo Flat a ring, might be worth an enquiry.

Topographically, the easiest way to get from Polo Flat to anywhere is probably across the Snowy's to Tumbarumba or Tumut. This may be challenging in some weather, especially at lower speeds. Canberra CTA makes northern routes more difficult.

1 hour 10 from Tuggie is 1 hour 30 from Canberra. For comparison, Cootamundra is probably under 2 hours, Tumut and Temora just over 2 hours

I agree that local flying would be good, and it's not impossible, but any aircraft over an hour's travel away is not going to get flown enough.

dodo

• Helpful 1

Ah I'm with you. I go down the south coast mostly. You can skip over to Adaminaby-Corryong-Tumbarumba pretty easy, there's just a little bit of rough country.

Route to Goulburn is actually pretty straightforward (so I've been told), I've charted it but yet to fly it.

Good luck with your hunt.

thanks

R

Dodo, I used to fly gliders from Polo Flat until we were squeezed out; it's not a bad spot at all. I think Mike Apps has a school there?

Currandooley very limited on height (used to be 1500 top) and I think is now a wind farm anyway.

I think Mike Apps owns the airfield, so in many ways it wouldn't be a bad option, but the travel time and getting to other places are not so good.

I think I will investigate Goulburn - I was hoping someone on the forum would have up to date information.

The other good option - finding a relaxed property owner who would like to be paid for the use of a paddock occasionally, is probably too problematic, and could take forever,

dodo

• Agree 1

Dodo, the folks at the Oaks still love you. After all the Canberra bashing in this site you must surely understand how bad the ACT is for you, hanging around with politicians, public servants, trade unionists and accountants from private enterprise telling you that their brand of snake oil will fix Australia's problems (no worries). The sad thing, of course, is that all the other RARAs just won't accept you. Time for you to move up to the big smoke, get stuck into the Pina Coladas, munch some Lotus and lie back and enjoy. The Oaks (or even Warnervale or Wedderburn) is pretty close and we don't even have a winter - nor a stinking hot summer.

Dodo - Tony Lamarra from Goulburn would be your best bet. He owns plenty of hangar space, seems to mostly be storage for his furniture business at the moment but he does lease space when it's available. Tony is also one of natures true gentleman and can tell you all you would ever want to know about the airport and Goulburn. I Havent got his number handy but Google should turn it up.

There is a private strip on murrumbateman road at the Gundaroo end - I live just around the corner (just moved here) I haven't yet plucked up the courage to ask the owner about it but the place has been advertised for sale in the raaus mag.

If your interested in buying/building a hangar at Goulburn I would be quite interested in a joint venture/syndicate/long term lease if your considering other options. The airport fees may make it prohibitive but split two three or four ways it could be a good option.

Cheers

• Agree 2

Hi Dodo,

depending upon the size of the aircraft, I may be able to help you. Please give me a call on 0417223230 and I will do my best to help.

Cheers

John

I am looking for somewhere to hangar a rag and tube aircraft within about an hour of Canberra.Goulburn may be an option, if pricy - does anyone know of availability and costs to hangar a plane(and fly from) Goulburn? And who I could talk to?

Does anyone have any other ideas? - access to a paddock with a shed would be fine, and quite happy to pay for that?

The main requirement is within about an hour of Canberra, and available. It would be a rag and tube, so no need for long or sealed runways, so maybe a paddock and temporary hangar?

any ideas appreciated,

dodo

EDIT - Bugger - I can't fix the typo in the subject! (Sorted - Mod xox)

Time for you to move up to the big smoke, get stuck into the Pina Coladas, munch some Lotus and lie back and enjoy. The Oaks

Unfortunately, I will be in Canberra for the foreseeable future. I would prefer to fly from the Oaks, and have suggested to David that he move it an hour to two in my direction. I don't think he took me seriously.

dodo

Harv and 10.5,

thanks for that. I got hold of Tony Lamarra's phone number, but I think he is off overseas today or yesterday, so if you know anyone who would be acting for him, that would be handy.

John 10.5, I'll give you a ring in a day or two,

and thanks to both of you,

dodo

• 1 month later...

Tony is a true gentleman and a good POC. However in considering which aerodrome to use - in the past few week a new NOTAM has been promulgated by the operator which restricts the use of aircraft under 650kg at Goulburn from using the main bitumen runway without providing 1 hours prior notice on WEEKENDS. The rough paddock, known otherwise as the other runway - good for practising rough out landings to test or break your undercarriage - is available of course but these are constraints being placed on RAA registered aircraft at Goulburn so they don't interfere with "real" aircraft during the "busy" weekends when most rec flyers need the runway. Suggest this is NOT a place lightweight aircraft are being welcomed, despite the healthy landing fees!

• Agree 1

Tony Lamarra is in Italy for another few weeks. Very approachable. Owns a lot of hangerage at Goulburn. I rent off him, no problems.

Forgive me for being naïve or stupid, but isn't it the SAFE and proper thing to do to land on the most into-wind runway? So isn't it true that if an operator says you can't use runway XY, that is still serviceable, it is detrimental to safety? therefore shouldn't CASA be sternly saying that you can't say that?

Cheers, Chris

I think everyone has checked the NOTAMS...

As for the disadvantages of Goulburn, that is why I posted looking for alternatives, but as anyone using the airport must know, there aren't many. Polo Flat would be attractive if I lived a bit further south.

Its a pity, as the airport and location has considerable potential.

dodo