Airstrip/hangar in the Canberra or Goulburn area

dodo

Forgive me for being naïve or stupid, but isn't it the SAFE and proper thing to do to land on the most into-wind runway? So isn't it true that if an operator says you can't use runway XY, that is still serviceable, it is detrimental to safety? therefore shouldn't CASA be sternly saying that you can't say that?Cheers, Chris

You shoud read the NOTAMS and plan accordingly - if the wind is wrong for the available runway, don't go to that airport if it is beyond your cross-wind capability. Plenty of airports have preferred runways or circuit direction based on keeping the noise down over houses, and you plan with those in mind.

However, it is usual and helpful in a NOTAM to put in "unless operationally required" for requirements where the issue is convenience to the airport, rather than a safety issue (Wollongong, for example, has some sensible restrictions in the ERSA, as does Mittagong). Goulburn haven't done that, which is a bit annoying.

dodo

And the owner is out there actively photographing and notating whenever an ultralight aircraft uses the strip. One pilot on the weekend took off on 08 which was all fine however an hour later when they returned they were looking at a 15-knot blustery crosswind on 08 so chose to use 04. There were no other aircraft anywhere in the sky or taxiing and the pilot felt they it was a safer decision. Not long after one of the owners minions advised that they were under notice.

Unfortunately Goulburn can be a very hostile environment unless you're renting the airport owners ultralights, jumping with his skydive operation or mowing his grass. If this flying thing wasn't so enjoyable most of us would have well and truly given up by now...

On a positive note i'd recommend looking a little very closely at Canberra - especially with the RPL coming up. For $2,500 per annum you get parking, all landing fees and the wonderful little Gate 3 "Clubhouse" with toilets cleaned twice per week, tea/coffee facilities and a wide verandah with one of the best views in aviation today.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• 1 year later...
Guest Jase_M

You mean the one near Gosford? No idea -= but strangely enough I few a little to the right of it last night...

Why do you ask?

I just checked NAIPS again and it still says there is no Notam for YGLB.

Kaz

Edit: I just looked at the ERSA and I see the operator has included a proscription regarding aircraft less than 650 kg on the sealed runway.

Pretty miserable but I guess he is trying to give the Jump ships a clear go?

• 2 months later...
Anyone noticed the strip at lanyon homestead, just north of tharwa?? Have seen a tiger moth, jabiru and a 172? there at times.....

Hey Matt.... No I haven't... A few private strips around for those who purchased nice flat land in the right place, at the right time :-)

The strip at Lanyon is a private strip. A local Canberra doctor owns the Tiger Moth and I think a guy from the ATSB owns the 172. It's a pretty minimal strip from what i've heard.

The tiger moth owner was a regular at Goulburn for a while - I have his details if you're looking to make contact with someone.

How about Collector, it came up in a conversation the other day about when we jumped there in the eighties. Had a hanger and was pretty flat. Not far to Canberra.

edit: just read back page one and see already mentioned but how about going through the members and owners lists on RAAus and see who flys what in the area. must be more than a couple trike pilots around the area.