Associate Degree in Aviation

A lot of university's are offering this now

I have seen it advertised as a Vet Fee Free approved course

In other words (My understanding) is the government will lend you the money to do the course (under very loose conditions) and you don't have to pay it back until and/or if you earn so much a year

I have even seen it advertised to do via online studies with the flight training done at your local flying school (that's how it was worded)

And the Minimum outcome was a Rec Licence

Could this be a free way of obtaining a Pilots Licence / Certificate

Or even a train now pay later thing

• Like 1

You will eventually have to pay it back. And to get there you may end up paying for a whole more aviation knowledge than you originally wanted. Unless you are really keen, or want to enter aviation professionally, would it not be overkill and actually cost a lot more when you do pay it back?

My understanding is that the courses don't generally allow you the choice of flying school, as most have an affiliate school or their own school. The flying component is usually far more expensive than what you would pay if you were going privately - calculated to nicely cover the total amount of available FEE-HELP that you might have.

If you have found one that allows you to do it at your choice of schools, then that sounds much better. Like going to uni though, the pain of paying the bills 10 or 20 years after you finish is sometimes a little hard to take. And if the proposed changes come through, you will have to pay it back even if you die or leave the country!

• 2 weeks later...
A lot of university's are offering this nowI have seen it advertised as a Vet Fee Free approved course

In other words (My understanding) is the government will lend you the money to do the course (under very loose conditions) and you don't have to pay it back until and/or if you earn so much a year

I have even seen it advertised to do via online studies with the flight training done at your local flying school (that's how it was worded)

And the Minimum outcome was a Rec Licence

Could this be a free way of obtaining a Pilots Licence / Certificate

Or even a train now pay later thing

Neither a borrower nor a lender be.......

HECS/HELP is creating a bottleneck of people with degrees that are not worth the paper they're printed on! Doing an aviation degree is probably not as forward thinking as one in 'Business' or 'Commerce'. In most cases, you'll pay more for your hours flying, that will be at a major airport with all the inefficiencies that we know occur. Even if you want to become a professional, my opinion is that you should do all your initial training at a small country location, with a stable,experienced instructor force, good weather, low traffic, and a close training area. Do your training in blocks, and negotiate a rate per hour for cash.

Creating a huge debt isn't going to be helpful later in life when you need the money for family, home etc. Remember, aviation doesn't pay much for many years, and, although you can delay paying off HECS, (thousands have,and there's something like $1.5b owing the govt), it is a liability and may affect your credit rating.

• Agree 3

My 2 bob's worth: Tertiary insitutions are always trying to shore up their futures. Academics have progressively taken over training in many areas which were once well served by apprenticeships and cadetships. I doubt the quality of training has improved, but some people may see it as a fast way to get qualifications- and pay thru the nose later.

• Agree 1

My 2 bob's worth: Tertiary insitutions are always trying to shore up their futures. Academics have progressively taken over training in many areas which were once well served by apprenticeships and cadetships. I doubt the quality of training has improved, but some people may see it as a fast way to get qualifications- and pay thru the nose later.

Bachelor degrees have been degraded out of all belief. The entrance to many is now a 'score' of 40-50, which is really a fail, but they get into these institutions because there are financial incentives to keep the sausage factory running. The tea ladies in Canberra all now have BA's in fine arts! Laboratory assistant positions are now being filled by bachelor degrees - not that these are needed. I'm told that many overseas PhD students pretty much require a bridging course before they can actually begin their doctorates - but with the Uni picking up $100k - that's considered good business.

happy days,