A riveting weekend

Side by side makes a fat plane sometimes but does simplify C of G issues. I prefer Tandem for vision but not as matey (or squashed) whichever way you look at it. They must have been little people when they designed the C-150's. The planes haven't shrunk. People have spread. Nev

• Agree 1

Side by side makes a fat plane sometimes but does simplify C of G issues.

Only if you are sitting on the CofG, if you are sitting out front then side by side becomes a problem.

Staggered gives you a few benefits;

Narrower than full side by side,

Usually no 1-up/2-up CofG problems,

One instrument panel,

Good pilot visibility,

Plenty of shoulder room,

Can still relate to your passenger.

But,

It looks a little weird, so people tend to shy away from it?

Convention can be so hard to break away from.

It is probably a little unconventional. Yes the pilot (s) have to be near the C of G where they don't move it, but pushers have problems with falling on their tail when occupants get out if the wheels aren't a long way back then they fall on their nosewheels when landing.. Fuel location is the worst if it's not near the C of G as the balance point is then changing during flight. Depends on how simple you wish to make it. or whether you like a challenge. Nev

pushers have problems with falling on their tail when occupants get out

Fuel location is the worst if it's not near the C of G

This will be a taildragger, with the fuel in the wings.

It may not be painted gold?

GoldPush.jpg.1784732d8f08bfd6887386e7ff8a7b69.jpg

It will also have folding wings.

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
All this conversation about my project while I've been busy working - I didn't think anyone was particularly interested other than me

I am extremely interested and appreciate your time to show us what you are up to, thank you!

• 2 months later...

Pylon, sorry forgotten your name, anyway. your folding wing looks the same as I want to do with my Thruster. Care to show me/us how you intend to make the fold assembly?

This is what I envisioned:

551484242_Foldingwing4.jpg.997af3ca5ee7e1f98245facf70e00e44.jpg

1779680919_Foldingwing1.jpg.93f14be384f407a1c520846f45aa2e03.jpg

1967532842_Foldingwing2.jpg.998fc501da8660d924ceb67df4dd7d4f.jpg

1327217456_Foldingwing3.jpg.583dd711bd25af09fa84f73b41313552.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Finally back from holidays...

OK, the wingfold is the same concept, but done a bit different.

It's an all metal wing with one strut.

The wing has a single spar, and is attached to the fuselage by what is basically a universal joint.

The strut is attached at to the wing via a rotating pin (a lot heavier than the Groppo Trail).

The rear spar is attached via a remotely pulled pin which, after 'unsafetied', is operated from the wingtip allowing the wing to roll forward to vertical while still being supported by the strut.

Then just swung back alongside the fuselage (will have some form of brace to hold it back).

Nothing is disconnected, fuel tubes just flex with the wing and the flaperon rods go up with the wing, pushing the flaperons to the full 'up' position to give clearance for the prop.

290861642_FoldedPusher.jpg.b8ee3aa779c813c800cadbb833b5b26b.jpg

Thanks mate. The Thruster, not having a 'main spar' becomes a bit more difficult. I will have to maintain the front and rear spar locking points and disconnect the struts at their lower end. I like your idea of a remote pin-pull but don't think I can incorporate it in my system.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...