• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not sure which photos/movies Planet47 wanted to put up, but we have managed to get this far... (Didn't realise I shook this one till I blew it up) This is the first stage of folding the wings; U

.......and after removing said plastic I get this

Posted Images

On 17/11/2020 at 1:38 PM, planet47 said:

Man there is nothing more painful than scraping baked on plastic off aluminium - grrrrh

paint stripper makes it easy.

A blast from a heat gun will help remove plastic. I have seen where someone stated the plastic coming off, attached small weights and left it to peel off overnight. That was a tip from Kitplanes.

Been there with a heat gun previously. There’s no easy solution to the problem but it’s off now  thankfully (sorry if this text is in bold - it’s not meant to be).

We're open to ideas to remove plastic from alloy, but often the problem is UV degradation caused, believe it or not, by fluro lighting, which make the plastic brittle and can no longer be peeled off as it just breaks into little pieces.

•Heatguns work to a fashion, but a very narrow temperature is needed between having no effect, to becoming a (hot) sticky goo.

•Thinners and metho do absolutely nothing, except maybe dry the plastic and make it harder.

•Turps will attack the adhesive and will sort of work on very old plastic as it becomes somewhat permeable, but if only 'partially' baked, will only attack the edges.

Going to paint strippers, petrol and the like are not guaranteed, and make an even worse mess sometimes.

I think I remember having some success with 'gunwash' once upon a time...?

Meanwhile we're dealing with lots of little fiddly bits;

fiddly_bits.png

Pylon500 - I'd rate your problem on a par with removing aged vinyl decals from vehicles - a bugger of a job if there ever was one.

However, the website below offers a good range of advice as regards removing old vinyl decals, and I would think this information is probably quite relevant to your problem.

I've tried - Windex, razor-blade scrapers, petrol, and citrus-oil-based cleaners - all with varying results. I did not try the heat-gun as suggested, and there may be some advantage with using one of them. The plastic "chizl" scraper is probably a good investment.

https://blog.signwarehouse.com/a-basic-guide-to-vinyl-removal-options/

Edited by onetrack
4 hours ago, pylon500 said:

We're open to ideas to remove plastic from alloy, but often the problem is UV degradation caused, believe it or not, by fluro lighting, which make the plastic brittle and can no longer be peeled off as it just breaks into little pieces.

•Heatguns work to a fashion, but a very narrow temperature is needed between having no effect, to becoming a (hot) sticky goo.

•Thinners and metho do absolutely nothing, except maybe dry the plastic and make it harder.

•Turps will attack the adhesive and will sort of work on very old plastic as it becomes somewhat permeable, but if only 'partially' baked, will only attack the edges.

Going to paint strippers, petrol and the like are not guaranteed, and make an even worse mess sometimes.

I think I remember having some success with 'gunwash' once upon a time...?

Meanwhile we're dealing with lots of little fiddly bits;

fiddly_bits.png

Good old Turco or Ardrox strippers Work well. They have become my go to method. Best done in batches..one small part at a time becomes annoying.