A riveting weekend

Welcome  back to the forums! .

I Have missed you.

And your ' pusher ' is looking great. 

Are those SRFC aircraft fixed, & back in service, I was told l could still get onto the SRFC  site even thou l,m no longer a member, but that didn,t happen,  so feeling an outsider now. LoL.

spacesailor

Old K, have a look in this thread link below, and find planet47's post from Oct 22, 2014 ....

It's actually a prototype - a hybrid of features from a few different types ie foxbat, quicksilver, thundergull and others. At the present time it is labelled Dingbat!

And don't get presumptious, as Bex did in 2014 -  in the first page of this thread, planet47 has identified as a "she".

Edited by onetrack
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Old Koreelah said:

Just happened on this thread, so the actual layout of the plane baffles me.

More pix please, or even a video.

I'm not sure if these make it much clearer than the pics already posted.  They're just a couple of clips taken last year of Pylon500 at work on some other of his projects. However, the subject of this thread (his original design for planet47) can also be seen.  In the first shot we pan past it from the front. In the second clip, it can be seen from the rear in the background as Pylon tells me about the almost finished wings of that other project on-the-go.

Edited by Garfly
  • Like 2
  • Informative 1
  • Winner 1

• 6 months later...

For another perspective on the weekend's activity, here's Planet's airplane-to-be with its speed brakes deployed.    ;- )

image.thumb.jpeg.4ef798a3e2189a9098f54c3a10394d18.jpeg

For a demonstration of the folding concept here's a video of the aircraft's designer - our Pylon500 - showing how it's done. 

(Meanwhile, planet47 - who's happy to remain anonymous - took a break from riveting this weekend to polish up the nose cone.) 

image.thumb.jpeg.41953464274977777b1faf3f961709cb.jpeg

And, oh yeah, it does have an engine. 

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_19814.thumb.jpg.3392aef446295dfe49e2a4eec061075c.jpg

It should be a riveting Xmas!

• Like 6
  • Winner 1

'Gravity feed...'

I used to remember the old two stroke diaphragm pumps could pull fuel up about two feet (at least), in our situation the tanks are about level with the carbi's (they would be above during climb), so I'm assuming the 912 mechanical pump should maintain pressure to the carbi's as a 'level' system.

My biggest concern was exposing the fuel pickups in the tanks when the wings are folded, so I've got a slightly more complex fuel system than just a line to the engine.

bubble_junction.thumb.png.c39623fc832009c2cad1dab343fc2614.png

Tank fuel will come into the side tubes and will have to flow down to the T branch where it will then feed to the engine. the lower tube will go to a below fuselage drain point, and the top tube goes to a 'purge' pump, that will scavenge all bubbles in the lines and pump it back to one of the tanks.

That's the theory anyway, was initially going to use a header tank, but figured the lines were enough volume to do the job.

Made many of my own bits and saved around $200 (if I don't count my time).

Edited by pylon500
  • Like 2
  • Informative 1

11 minutes ago, pylon500 said:

'Gravity feed...'

I used to remember the old two stroke diaphragm pumps could pull fuel up about two feet (at least), in our situation the tanks are about level with the carbi's (they would be above during climb), so I'm assuming the 912 mechanical pump should maintain pressure to the carbi's as a 'level' system.

My biggest concern was exposing the fuel pickups in the tanks when the wings are folded, so I've got a slightly more complex fuel system than just a line to the engine.

Tank fuel will come into the side tubes and will have to flow down to the T branch where it will then feed to the engine. the lower tube will go to a below fuselage drain point, and the top tube goes to a 'purge' pump, that will scavenge all bubbles in the lines and pump it back to one of the tanks.

That's the theory anyway, was initially going to use a header tank, but figured the lines were enough volume to do the job.

Made many of my own bits and saved around $200 (if I don't count my time).

Could you have used a liquid thread seal like Loctite 577, 567 or similar.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...