Ballistic recovery system in jabirus

Jaba-who

Just having a look at the accident rate statistics in the Attachment to the Truss Review report and there's a point to ponder: over the last 6 years, RAA aircraft had 1.7 times the rate of crashes/million hours flown than private GA.

The rate of fatal accidents per million hours flown was almost identical for private G.A. and RAA.

However: the ratio of fatal to total accidents was about 17% for private G.A. and 9% for RAA aircraft.

It's a bit of a long bow to draw the conclusion that RAA aircraft are fairly decent in terms of 'survivability', let alone to go any further with that line of reasoning and talk about things like structural integrity and lower impact energy etc. but it would be interesting (to say the least) if some deeper analysis could be done of the injury/fatal rate per accident by RAA class aircraft manufacturer / model of aircraft. The NRMA does something similar derived from actual crash statistics for cars. It would be too crude an analysis to draw any strong conclusions but it might indicate general trends.

• Informative 1

• 7 years later...

I'm not sold. Jabirus, partricularly the big winged, can fly slow. and that tough fibreglass cocoon is certainly good enough to fly into a forest with and you will  survive.

Now, need a BRS for flying  over populated areas? Well (in my opinion) you shouldn't be flying over populated areas at  low altitude if you cant glide over the populated bits ! 

When flying from the east into Cowra, which is about 1nm west  of the CBD, the direct track  invites overflying the town. Rather than fly at 1000' - 1500' over the town (ie to join downwind for 15),   I choose to overfly the town at >>1500' to give myself glide options away from the residents.... Particularly if there is a westerly wind blowing in the summer where i would find myself very short if I had engine trouble...... 

Something that flys much faster, say the Cirrus SR2x, well I dont think I want to fly into a forest at 68 kts.  Prefer the Jab at 45 kts.  Or the Foxbat etc at 35 kts 

glen

• Like 2

21 hours ago, RocketMan1 said:

I haven't heard about a BRS parachute installed in a jabiru yet. I'll have to read more about it on the Internet.

I haven't heard about a BRS parachute installed in a jabiru yet. I'll have to read more about it on the Internet. And unfortunately, I haven't heard about the Ballistic recovery system in jabirus because I'm still new to this business. Still, I'm happy to read the replies of other people who are more experienced in this business. The only place I can help with the recovery system is by restoring data on the hard drive. By the way, I recently tried to restore the data myself, but I didn't succeed, and because of this, I turned to salvagedata.com, a service that deals with similar issues. Okay, I've already moved away from the topic, sorry.