Magnetos - question/s.

flying dog

It is really a difficult argument to put that magnetos are unreliable, yes they are mechanical in nature, but how many are still operating correctly on old Gypsy Major engines like in my Auster. Yes the older ones do have known issues but regular maintenance sorts that and they can be replaced by modern magnetos to improve reliability. My 1951 Auster has zero electrics on board except for the Hand held radio and my iPhone LOL. The old mechanical mags just keep on going and there are two just in case.

There are some that are not particularly good designs. Moat can be rebuilt many times if the parts are still available, but obviously some haven't been made for a long time. Some later brands were virtually "throw away" but I think they are being overhauled. They are relatively quick to change over, self contained needing NO external power, and provided they are repaired and serviced properly are reliable. to a very acceptable level. They don't provide the hottest spark at low RPM

s, so some method of aiding starting is required. The Lycoming in the Mk5 Auster was an odd one and didn't fit any impulse I'm told, and was hard to start. Nev

Nev,

The boys at Luskintyre are suggesting I fit the later model Lycoming Mags to the Gypsy. There is a conversion kit available about $3K I believe. Is it a good investment from your point of view?

David I don't know precisely what they are recommending. Slicks perhaps? I guess it is approved. They probably know what they are doing. The parts for your originals might be hard to obtain. The price doesn't seem ridiculous, so you should consider it seriously. Your old mags might be in demand by the "purists" or is that already in the price? Nev

Neil,

we always start on the impulse mag only on the Gipseys. Only mag is an impulse mag (has the built in retard as Nev described earlier in this thread). Once running we flick on the second mag. We shutdown with both off simultaneously unless we do a fuel shutdown which is what I do at the end of the day, turn the fuel off and when she dies shut off the mags.

• Agree 2

David I don't know precisely what they are recommending. Slicks perhaps? I guess it is approved. They probably know what they are doing. The parts for your originals might be hard to obtain. The price doesn't seem ridiculous, so you should consider it seriously. Your old mags might be in demand by the "purists" or is that already in the price? Nev

If there's anything worse than the British Thomson-Houston magnetos on the Gipsy, I don't want to know about it. Put the Slicks on.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1