Wellcamp

Yenn

airports are like hot breakfasts, one built with local materials, local labor and locally sourced machinery costs $200M, the same thing built in the middle of nowhere where you have to ship in all your materials, machinery and staff only $30M

Wagners wins contract for Adani airstrip construction

• Replies 958
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Changes, cancellations: Airnorth in a pickle over pilots

A REGIONAL airline that services Toowoomba Wellcamp Airport says it's been impacted by the pilot shortage that has affected airlines around Australia.

Airnorth has apologised to travellers after schedule changes and cancellations across its network.

"The situation is not isolated to Airnorth or Australia, and is part of a global pilot shortage that is affecting the entire aviation industry and its customers," the airline said.

RELATED ITEMS

"We continue to recruit pilots and currently have 11 positions vacant.

"The induction process requires new pilots to undertake mandatory simulator and flight training before they are qualified to operate our aircraft.

"This process takes time, and we are currently spending in excess of half a million dollars on recruitment and training in order to continue to provide safe and reliable services for all customers."

Airnorth recently announced extra flights between Toowoomba Wellcamp Airport and Townsville, totalling four return flights a week.

It currently flies eight times a week to Melbourne and three times a week to Cairns from Wellcamp.

"In December, 87.2% of Airnorth's flights departed on-time, within 15 minutes of schedule," the airline said.

"The most recent Bureau of Infrastructure, Transport and Regional Economics report shows a national average of 80.5% on-time against Airnorth's performance in the same period of 82.7%."

I've spoken to a few Toowoomba people that will never fly out of Wellcamp again due to Qantaslink and Air North cancelling flights and then being forced to scramble to YBNE to find an alternative flight.

• 3 months later...

THE SCOURGE OF FAKE NEWS HITS REGIONAL AIRPORTS

b881340530z1_20180424064744_000ge112kp482-0-4rwjti35xw14i1zj5q2_ct677x380.jpg&key=dd9125bdb137e1d65dc94aa76dd2728382d69e7aa8a912e279f76e8d9970b5ad

An Air Niugini aircraft. Contributed

NEWS

Rocky mayor declares international flight post a fake

24th Apr 2018 6:47 AM

MAYOR Margaret Strelow has addressed a social media post which announced plans for international flights between Rockhampton and Port Moresby.

The post mentioned Air Niugini flights would start in December, pending approvals.

"We have been in conversation but our understanding is that's probably not a genuine post, so we will keep looking into it, but we understand that it's a fake post," Cr Strelow said.

Related Items

The news was posted to the airline's Instagram page and shared on CQ Plane Spotters yesterday.

It read flights would begin in December and even detailed the type of planes, arrival and departure times from both airports.

Despite this post, Cr Strelow said the idea had only been spoken about with no confirmations.

b881340530z1_20180424064744_000ge112kp1f2-0-ljdcyo56ya70m1zj5q2_fct555x412x3x7_t460.jpg&key=11c465477a66dce34aaa46757bf1104fd3eda78e42ccc5e1d859f03b0f60cbaa

The post that got everyone talking was posted to the airline's Instagram, which has a very small number of followers.Instagram

"(The) council is networking and building relationships with Vanuatu and Air Niugini was one.

"What we are saying is we are prepared to carry the cost of customs and landing fees, if they can make the sums work to come.

"We will continue to work closely and try to get that happening, our biggest chance is probably around agriculture and about freight and heavy lift."

The Morning Bulletin attempted to contact Air Niugini but was unable to gain a response

Well, I decided to bite the bullet and fly out of well camp and FT might be onto something here, firstly the amenities are quite spartan and the cafe sells overpriced food of very average quality.. amenities are clean but you would expect that with little use (so far) there is no customer service counter on the air side of security and the airline "Airnorth" scheduling is terrible with over an hour delay with my flight with NO notification from them. will I do it again? Well let me put it this way... The Qantas club lounge at Brisbane airport looks really good from here

Dunlop

I was in there this morning to drop off the wife as she had to go to Sydney, 35 min flight from Tara, no landing fee as I purchased fuel at a pretty cheap $1.95/litre. Went into the terminal seamless transfer from GA to RPT check in, had breakfast food was very good (wife is a chief so extremely particular). So depart home at 0900 in Sydney by 1200 probably can't do that if you live in Brisbane. Time to stop complaining and appreciate what you have on your doorstep.

Aldo

Wagners haven't built any supporting infrastructure to make the airport successful, so its hard to see when the good times will start rolling.

Don’t know what Wagner’s have done to upset you. My experience at Wellcamp has been absolutely positive. Only thing I don’t like is their landing charges for our littlies! From Warwick easier to get to, easier cheaper parking, good cafe (in my experience) friendly staff. What’s not to like?

I haven't got anything against Wagner's, I just wish they would pull their finger out and finish the airport so we can see what the future holds. It just looks like its going to be 1/10 finished forever.

I haven't got anything against Wagner's, I just wish they would pull their finger out and finish the airport so we can see what the future holds. It just looks like its going to be 1/10 finished forever.

My wife's still waiting for me to finish our house, although we've been living in it for thirty five years. If I hire builders it would be finished in a couple of months. Then I'd have to work for decades to pay off the loan.The Wagners have built and opened an international airport in far less time than governments would take to decide to do a feasibility study. Good on them, and more credit to them if they haven't borrowed to the max.

Not sure, from what I’ve seen, what remains to be done. Would you mind elucidating?

the original plans for wellcamp showed 3 huge hangars big enough to work on a 777 and a row of GA hangars that could have housed a 20 planes. none of that stuff has been built as far as I can see. can't call it an airport with hangars

'Ridiculous' Council-Wagners dispute to get mediator

mugshot-a-be9dw37rpy4qm7qxio2_ct30x30.png&key=b893ee84e8797030666b6e9bb52874d1bdca8612b61d73ac3c8b7b297bdfcfa4

by JOHN WEEKES

4th May 2018 5:15 AM

Subscriber only

SPEND millions on lawsuits if you want to, but it might be money down the drain.

That's the advice a judge has given warring Wagner Investments and Toowoomba Regional Council.

The construction company went to court over council infrastructure charges for services including stormwater discharge.

A labyrinthine legal dispute was aired in Brisbane's Planning and Environment Court on Thursday.

Judge Willliam Everson said a "plethora” of litigation had emerged about disputes which should have been negotiated.

"I just think this is ridiculous, to be honest,” he said.

The court heard issues discussed on Thursday related to $1.2million in charges.

More broadly, about $2million across 10 separate appeals was at stake.

The judge said an experienced mediator could bring Wagners and the council together.

"Otherwise, you can all spend millions of dollars litigating ... it just seems pointless,” Judge Everson said.

"I want someone of substantial stature and experience ... who's got the forensic background for this type of dispute.”

Judge Everson told both sides to "resolve the whole dispute or at least narrow the issues”.

He said the 10 appeals posed different challenges to different infrastructure charges.

The court heard argument about whether the council was trying to apply charges that were too simplistic.

One dispute needed traffic engineers to carry out modelling in order to calculate the right charge.

In October, Wagners chairman Denis Wagner said the firm would take business elsewhere unless charges were made fairer.

After Thursday's hearing, his brother John Wagner said the council had made no effort to change charges since then, but he still hoped "common sense” would prevail.

"We agree that we've got to work together with the council to try and sort the issues,” Mr Wagner said.

"As has been the case from the start of these proceedings, Toowoomba Regional Council remains committed to working with the Wagners to resolve these matters,” the council's Planning and Development Committee chair Chris Tait said after the hearing.

The council website said charges existed so new developments helped share costs of additional demand on things including trunk infrastructure.

The matter will be reviewed on May 17.

...SPEND millions on lawsuits if you want to, but it might be money down the drain.That's the advice a judge has given warring Wagner Investments and Toowoomba Regional Council....The judge said an experienced mediator could bring Wagners and the council together.

"Otherwise, you can all spend millions of dollars litigating ... it just seems pointless,” Judge Everson said.

"I want someone of substantial stature and experience ... who's got the forensic background for this type of dispute.”

We need more judges like that! (I bet his legal colleagues give him the cold shoulder if they miss out on a long and lucrative case!)

We need more judges like that! (I bet his legal colleagues give him the cold shoulder if they miss out on a long and lucrative case!)

Yeah, sorta like the global warming scam where university professors should never rock the gravy train boat or they will be hounded out...

• Caution 1

I can't see how Wagners can win this, the law is pretty clear on infrastructure fees.

If it were so simple I'm sure the judge would have decided the case in a day. The judges comments suggest otherwise...

The judge is saying you can't win this, taking it too court is a waste of time and money.

Have a look at how the case against Alan Jones is going, the Wagners are demanding $4.8M without being able to show any damages.