Wellcamp

Yenn

The judge is saying you can't win this, taking it too court is a waste of time and money...

Well, I don't know anything about the matter apart from the media reports I've read. Though I'm sure the Judge probably has a bit of an idea of what the party's are thinking.

The Wagner family has extensive ties to the Toowoomba community and I'm sure the last thing they want to be doing is fighting with the council of a city they love. It may very well be the base of the problem is with a couple of self important dills that work for the council. A court imposed mediation sit down lets the party's revisit the issue. Be interesting to see who gets sacked.

• Replies 958
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...Have a look at how the case against Alan Jones is going, the Wagners are demanding $4.8M without being able to show any damages.

I hope they take him to the cleaners. He's overdue for a trim up.Too often you hear someone challenging a shock jock and the 7-second delay is used to cut them off.

• Like 1

The airport is located on land in the former Jondaryan shire council, of which John Wagner was a councillor that presided over the council amalgamation. His experience as a businessman involved in the construction industry and as a former local politician would have given him an intimate knowledge of the council workings. The judge would be made aware of this in his briefing.

I hope they take him to the cleaners. He's overdue for a trim up.Too often you hear someone challenging a shock jock and the 7-second delay is used to cut them off.

Everyone knows that talk back radio is theatre, anyone listening to Jones would know he isn't credible authority on anything.

...Everyone knows that talk back radio is theatre, anyone listening to Jones would know he isn't credible authority on anything.

If only that ever true, FT. Why do so many politicians cowtow to shock jocks? Because they have an enormous influence on the voting behaviour of the masses. Go into any worshshop, garage, building site or waiting room and people are immersed in the daily rankings of Jones or Laws and their ilk.
  • Agree 1

you get rid of one toxic radio presenter and the audience will find another one on another channel. I don't think radio's audience is that large anymore, I remember we tried advertising on the local channel which also ran his show and we got a very poor response compared to online advertising.

• 2 weeks later...

Wagners seem reluctant to pay these development fees

Wagner needs $1m council waiver to build Toowoomba hotel

tomupdated1-umszx3lmiymhlkxk5q2_ct30x30.JPG&key=9bec38721621e30d8061c14e96adc181ae382aaf516bf39950540f4367ec1ea1

by TOM GILLESPIE

16th May 2018 3:34 PM 

Subscriber only

HOTEL developer Kenneth Wagner won't build his massive 102-room building in the Toowoomba CBD unless he receives a $1 million infrastructure charges waiver from the Toowoomba Regional Council.

Mr Wagner is a step closer to realising his vision for the Glad on Ruthven St, after the council voted to enter into a lease agreement with him over part of the neighbouring TRC-owned Kwong Sang Walk.

From there, his company KPAT Property Pty Ltd would continue discussions with the planning department to finalise the design and conditions.

Related Items

"I see that we will be a couple of weeks finalising this lease, then a couple of weeks in the planning department," Mr Wagner told The Chronicle.

"We've drawn up our final set of plans, but we don't want to submit them prior to this lease being squared away.

"The reality is we are on the right track."

This is a modal window.

This video is either unavailable or not supported in this browser

Error Code: MEDIA_ERR_SRC_NOT_SUPPORTED

Session ID: 2018-05-16:24ae9075508ffc974785c339 Player Element ID:Brightcove5673943532001

OK

Close Modal Dialog

Iconic hotel demolished: The Gladstone Hotel has been demolished making way for new five-storey development which will include a 102-unit hotel, shops and a tavern.

But Mr Wagner said he wanted the council to make good on its incentive offer to waive up to $1 million in charges for developments in the CBD.

"We will not progress with our development until the council has committed to giving us a $1 million infrastructure charge rebate," he said.

"It is at council's discretion, but the added costs of adding a new basement level and other conditions have meant the project is not viable without that rebate."

55-4020832-twb030617glad014_fct833x625x70_t460.jpg&key=67b4b2d98c02b402c54fff29f7e4954266078a86f1976380af17b4a81cd4e61b

Side wall of the Gladstone Hotel, Ruthven Street. June 2017Bev Lacey

Planning and development chair Cr Chris Tait confirmed the TRC would enter into an agreement with KPAT Property.

"This activation will be achieved through the ability to access tenancies within the adjoining development directly from Kwong Sang Walk," he said.

"Council's Chief Executive Officer has been authorised to commence the relevant lease negotiations.

"The lessee will be responsible for obtaining any relevant development approvals required to facilitate the lease."

I believe everyone should pay the bare minimum, and that govt should learn to control spending. If it genuinely cost TRC $1M to process such a development, it might be understandable, but realistically, it's just a cash grab. I'm no fan of Wagners, but I am a fan of cost effective government at all levels.

• Agree 1

What if we assume for a moment that the real cost isn't $1M and the fee in no way reflects reality? I have no problem with developers needing to pay what things actually cost, but I do have a problem with made up "cash grab" fees.

Surely you have at some time had to pay application fees and such at TRC and thought that they in no way reflected reality. 

If you've ever seen the speed at which council works progress, you will know that any civil contractor could do the same job much cheaper. So why do you not complain about council wasting your tax?

national party controlled council so the real infrastructure cost is probably $1M+ I saw Kenneth on the news tonight he is leasing the mall next to his building from the council now. so no doubt another good deal on the way.

WTF has the National party got to do with whether or not it really costs $1M?  None of the clowns manage out money well enough to honestly say that the costs reflect what they actually provide.

Jones accuses Wagners of Qantas bribery

By Shae McDonald

18 May 2018 — 4:38pm

Alan Jones denies he has a bitter hatred for the Wagner family and a desire to see them fail but has maintained his accusation they could have bribed Qantas.

The talkback radio host engaged in a series of fiery cross-examination exchanges in his second day in the witness box in the Brisbane Supreme Court.

Alan Jones is seen entering the Supreme Court in Brisbane, Friday, May 18.

Photo: AAP Image/Glenn Hunt

The Wagner brothers are suing Jones, Harbour Radio, 4BC and writer Nick Cater for $4.8 million over 32 broadcasts relating to the 2011 Queensland floods between 2014 and 2015.

John, Denis, Neill and Joe Wagner claim they were accused of the deaths of 12 people in the town of Grantham during the floods when one of the walls of a quarry they owned collapsed.

They also allege they were accused of a high-level cover-up with politicians, as well as corruption and intimidation, relating to their Wellcamp Airport.

Jones told the court he'd raised his concerns about air space and the approvals process for the Toowoomba facility with Qantas chief executive Alan Joyce, and his recollection was he agreed with him.

Alan Jones told the court he'd raised his concerns about the Toowoomba facility with Qantas chief executive Alan Joyce, pictured.

Photo: Nick Moir

That's why, he said, he was taken by surprise when he learned the airline was going to start flying into the airport.

"Are you seriously telling me that you're flying planes into Wellcamp after all the discussions we've had?," he said in an email to Mr Joyce.

Barrister Tom Blackburn SC said Jones then accused the Wagners of bribing Qantas.

"I think I used that word because I noted in his letter ... that he had agreed to fly in because the offer is commercially very attractive," the radio broadcaster said.

"When I saw that I thought ... if it's commercially attractive some inducement has been given for Qantas to fly in."

Jones said he believed the conclusion he drew was "perfectly legitimate".

"What word would you use, an inducement, a bribe?" he asked Mr Blackburn.

"Would they have flown in if they had to meet orthodox commercial requirements?"

Amid the pair's fiery exchanges on Friday, Jones was forced to deny he had a bitter hatred for the Wagners, was careless with the truth and wilfully blind to information that didn't suit his narrative.

"I don't hate people, I'm only trying to express the concerns of those expressed to me by the community," he said.

Mr Blackburn also asked Jones if he had heard the phrase "willing to wound but afraid to strike".

"I'm willing to wound and strike if necessary, Mr Blackburn," he said in response.

Earlier, Mr Blackburn attempted to add 35 broadcasts from 2011 to 2015 to the defamation proceedings.

He said most of the proposed additions addressed the same issues as those already part of the trial.

He claimed they went to the issue of aggravated damages because they showed Jones and Cater were "motivated by a desire to injure the plaintiffs' reputation".

Justice Peter Flanagan said he received no explanation for why the broadcasts weren't made available to Jones when the trial started three weeks ago.

He refused to allow Jones be cross-examined on those broadcasts until his legal team had time to go over them.

Mr Blackburn withdrew his application, but said he may re-lodge it at a later date.

Jones will continue giving evidence on Monday.

AAP 

Now part of the legal proceedings against him, could get interesting.

You may be familiar with Jones and the weird cult of conservatism following him but many people like myself never listen. It's part of the Wellcamp story now.

Now part of the legal proceedings against him, could get interesting.You may be familiar with Jones and the weird cult of conservatism following him but many people like myself never listen. It's part of the Wellcamp story now.

I'll agree with weird cult, I have to turn off any radio within earshot playing Alan Jones or Ray Hadley, or pretty much any talkback radio for that matter. I'm just familiar enough to know that they are not balanced journos.

But you still haven't made a relevant point  yet. Anyone can and will throw up random unrelated media articles  thanks the the wonders of the internet.

Jones is going to get roasted

ALAN Jones didn't have any scientific or expert evidence to back up claims about the collapse of a quarry wall causing deaths during the 2011 Queensland floods, a court has heard.

But during his third day of being questioned in Brisbane Supreme Court, where he is defending a $4.8 million lawsuit, the talkback host stood by the assertion.

"I had plenty of eyewitness evidence," he said.

"I was a voice for the voiceless."

Toowoomba-based Wagner brothers John, Denis, Neill and Joe are suing Jones, Harbour Radio, 4BC and writer Nick Cater over 32 broadcasts from 2014-15 relating to the 2011 Queensland floods.

Broadcaster Alan Jones (centre) enters Brisbane Supreme Court last Friday. Picture: Glenn Hunt/AAP

Broadcaster Alan Jones (centre) enters Brisbane Supreme Court last Friday. Picture: Glenn Hunt/AAP

They allege they were blamed for the deaths of 12 people in the town of Grantham during the floods, when one of the walls of the Lockyer Valley quarry they owned collapsed.

"I've regularly asserted that," Jones said.

Under cross-examination from the Wagners' barrister Tom Blackburn, Jones was questioned about what had led him to form the view.

"You had no, first of all, hydrological evidence, at all," he asked.

"No, I did not," Jones replied.

"You had no scientific evidence, expert evidence, of any kind," Mr Blackburn followed up.

"No, just the evidence of people's eyes. Witnesses," Jones responded.

Jones denied last Friday that he hated the Wagners, was careless with the truth and wilfully blind to information that did not suit his narrative.

He will continue giving evidence this afternoon.

I agree.  I'm not a Wagners fan, but Alan Jones has certainly made some wild allegations, and ones that have been disproved twice now about the 2011 floods.  Should it cost him dearly I will almost certainly feel a sense of schadenfreude.

I don't know if its actually worth a lot of money to Wagner's though, you have to show damage to get damages. The Rebel Wilson case could show that she missed out on a multi million dollar movie role because Bauer media's attack. 

• 1 month later...

Memo to Qantas: Pick Toowoomba over Mackay

TOBI LOFTUS

3rd Jul 2018 5:00 AM

Subscriber only

Why Qantas academy could boost economy by $600 million

"I know (Mackay Mayor Greg Williamson) and respect him highly," Mr Antonio said.

"But on this particular subject... I really think that when you look at things, have a look at Toowoomba, then have a look at Mackay.

"I'll rest my case there."

9-4315761-twb020718qantas%20(3)_t460.jpg

TAKE OFF: Getting ready to show Qantas around Wellcamp Airport are (from left) John Wagner, Cameron Dick and Paul Antonio.Tobi Loftus

Mr Antonio met with Qantas representatives yesterday, with Wagners director John Wagner and State Development Minister Cameron Dick, to discuss the Wagners' proposal, which would be built at Wellcamp Airport.

The proposal would see the construction of new taxi-ways at the airport, new buildings for training and a new accommodation village for students.

Mr Wagner said the facility would also utilise other airports in the region, including the Toowoomba Aerodrome and the Pittsworth, Millmerran, Warwick, Dalby, Oakey, Amberley and Kingaroy airports.

"If we are successful with this bid it will mean significant infrastructure, 700 new jobs for this region, brand new jobs that don't exist already," Mr Wagner said.

"It would mean 60 to 70 aircraft based here full time.

"We would expect more passenger services, which would give us a better schedule and cheaper prices for the travelling public. It would have a huge flow-on effect for the region."

Mr Wagner said the facility could boost the local economy by $600 million.

Despite saying he favoured neither proposal over the other, Mr Dick heaped praised on the Toowoomba proposal.

"(Toowoomba has) 315 clear flying days each year. It's a town on the up when it comes to economic growth. It's also a fantastic place to live," Mr Dick said.

"There is no (flight) curfew here.

"What you've got here is an unrivalled commitment from a local family."

Plane landings can be tricky: Pilots have to think quick.

Mr Wagner said his company would invest $55 million into the proposal if Qantas chose Toowoomba.

"We can have this up and running in five to six months from when they sign a commercial agreement," Mr Wagner said.

Mr Dick said he would travel to Mackay soon to meet with Qantas representatives there.

"Mackay will be feeling the love as well," he said.

Qantas Group Pilot Academy executive manager Wes Nobelius said a recent survey of the 14,000 aspiring pilots, who had indicated their interest in the Academy, showed a vast majority would be open to live, and train, in any of the nine shortlisted regional cities.

"Our team met with local and state government leaders including Mayors from across the broader region, business advocates and the Wellcamp Airport team in Toowoomba today to tour the facilities and assess the feasibility of our Academy being set up here," Mr Nobelius said.

"It will be a competitive process as we visit all nine regional shortlisted cities to go through in detail what's required to establish the Academy, and ensure it is sustainable in the long term."

The other regional cities in consideration for the academy are Alice Springs, Bendigo, Busselton, Dubbo, Launceston, Mackay, Tamworth and Wagga Wagga.

A decision on where the pilot training facility will go is expected later this year.