Wellcamp

Yenn

• Replies 958
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What makes biscuits chewy?

High moisture content does; so the recipe, baking time, and temperature must be adjusted to retain moisture.

Binding the water in butter, eggs, and brown sugar (it contains molasses, which is 10 percent water) with flour slows its evaporation.

Memo to Qantas: Pick Toowoomba over MackayTOBI LOFTUS

3rd Jul 2018 5:00 AM

Subscriber only

Why Qantas academy could boost economy by $600 million

"I know (Mackay Mayor Greg Williamson) and respect him highly," Mr Antonio said.

"But on this particular subject... I really think that when you look at things, have a look at Toowoomba, then have a look at Mackay.

"I'll rest my case there."

9-4315761-twb020718qantas%20(3)_t460.jpg

TAKE OFF: Getting ready to show Qantas around Wellcamp Airport are (from left) John Wagner, Cameron Dick and Paul Antonio.Tobi Loftus

Mr Antonio met with Qantas representatives yesterday, with Wagners director John Wagner and State Development Minister Cameron Dick, to discuss the Wagners' proposal, which would be built at Wellcamp Airport.

The proposal would see the construction of new taxi-ways at the airport, new buildings for training and a new accommodation village for students.

Mr Wagner said the facility would also utilise other airports in the region, including the Toowoomba Aerodrome and the Pittsworth, Millmerran, Warwick, Dalby, Oakey, Amberley and Kingaroy airports.

"If we are successful with this bid it will mean significant infrastructure, 700 new jobs for this region, brand new jobs that don't exist already," Mr Wagner said.

"It would mean 60 to 70 aircraft based here full time.

"We would expect more passenger services, which would give us a better schedule and cheaper prices for the travelling public. It would have a huge flow-on effect for the region."

Mr Wagner said the facility could boost the local economy by $600 million.

Despite saying he favoured neither proposal over the other, Mr Dick heaped praised on the Toowoomba proposal.

"(Toowoomba has) 315 clear flying days each year. It's a town on the up when it comes to economic growth. It's also a fantastic place to live," Mr Dick said.

"There is no (flight) curfew here.

"What you've got here is an unrivalled commitment from a local family."

Plane landings can be tricky: Pilots have to think quick.

Mr Wagner said his company would invest $55 million into the proposal if Qantas chose Toowoomba.

"We can have this up and running in five to six months from when they sign a commercial agreement," Mr Wagner said.

Mr Dick said he would travel to Mackay soon to meet with Qantas representatives there.

"Mackay will be feeling the love as well," he said.

Qantas Group Pilot Academy executive manager Wes Nobelius said a recent survey of the 14,000 aspiring pilots, who had indicated their interest in the Academy, showed a vast majority would be open to live, and train, in any of the nine shortlisted regional cities.

"Our team met with local and state government leaders including Mayors from across the broader region, business advocates and the Wellcamp Airport team in Toowoomba today to tour the facilities and assess the feasibility of our Academy being set up here," Mr Nobelius said.

"It will be a competitive process as we visit all nine regional shortlisted cities to go through in detail what's required to establish the Academy, and ensure it is sustainable in the long term."

The other regional cities in consideration for the academy are Alice Springs, Bendigo, Busselton, Dubbo, Launceston, Mackay, Tamworth and Wagga Wagga.

A decision on where the pilot training facility will go is expected later this year.

Why would you survey the aspiring trainee pilots? I bet they would happy to train anywhere, the selection opportunity will be their first win. I'd be surveying the aspiring academy staff about their preference, their the main ones that need to be happy about the location and equipment and support and what the location offers outside of work hours.

• Like 1

I'd like to know what the potential impact might be. I quite like the fact that all the airports mentioned in the article are rather quiet, but perhaps extra usage will see them safe from being sold off, and hopefully the training will be a weekday thing, leaving uncluttered airways for weekends. Knowing TRC, it will just become as cash grab and fees will attached.

We sure hope Qantas chooses Tamworth.

It would be the easiest solution. Walk in as BAE walk out. All the facilities are there, excellent weather, access to several quiet airstrips with little turbulence.

We sure hope Qantas chooses Tamworth.It would be the easiest solution. Walk in as BAE walk out. All the facilities are there, excellent weather, access to several quiet airstrips with little turbulence.

And a free "Yeeee - Haaaa!" to boot!

• Haha 1

Spare me, Bex. Most of the locals go nowhere near the yip-yip festival and consider it a damned inconvenience.

Sometimes you forget the famous stuff in some places have nothing to do with the bulk of the locals, who only tolerate it at all as it brings some money into the place.

My Uncles used to be one of the major drawcards many years back.

It doesn't affect me but I see that the information about Brisbane West Wellcamp is on the CASA website. For those who don't know Wellcamp is a commercial airport being built West of Toowoomba and South of Oakey.CASA is studying the situation at the momennt, but I can see a large number of ALA's could be badly affected and more restrictions place on West of Brisbane flying areas.

Why would anyone do business with a family that would call an airport at Toowoomba "Brisbane West"?

Well, doesn’t Avalon get called Melbourne by Jetstar even though, I am told, it is in Geelong?

According to Google maps, Avalon is 30 km from Melborne CBD and Melbourne Melbourne is 15 km from the CBT. Also, Melbourne and Geelong are merging into each other. Wellcamp is 10 km WEST of Toowoomba. It is a 142 km drive to the Brisbane CBD, and separated from Brisbane by the following towns/cities: Toowoomba, Helidon, Grantham, Gatton, Plainland and Ipswich. Brisabane and Ipswich are merging. Ipswich is probably Brisbane's Geelong. If they called an Ipswich airport "Brisbane Coalfields" then that would be fine with me.

Memo to Qantas: Pick Toowoomba over MackayTOBI LOFTUS

3rd Jul 2018 5:00 AM

Subscriber only

Why Qantas academy could boost economy by $600 million

"I know (Mackay Mayor Greg Williamson) and respect him highly," Mr Antonio said.

"But on this particular subject... I really think that when you look at things, have a look at Toowoomba, then have a look at Mackay.

"I'll rest my case there."

9-4315761-twb020718qantas%20(3)_t460.jpg

TAKE OFF: Getting ready to show Qantas around Wellcamp Airport are (from left) John Wagner, Cameron Dick and Paul Antonio.Tobi Loftus

Mr Antonio met with Qantas representatives yesterday, with Wagners director John Wagner and State Development Minister Cameron Dick, to discuss the Wagners' proposal, which would be built at Wellcamp Airport.

The proposal would see the construction of new taxi-ways at the airport, new buildings for training and a new accommodation village for students.

Mr Wagner said the facility would also utilise other airports in the region, including the Toowoomba Aerodrome and the Pittsworth, Millmerran, Warwick, Dalby, Oakey, Amberley and Kingaroy airports.

"If we are successful with this bid it will mean significant infrastructure, 700 new jobs for this region, brand new jobs that don't exist already," Mr Wagner said.

"It would mean 60 to 70 aircraft based here full time.

"We would expect more passenger services, which would give us a better schedule and cheaper prices for the travelling public. It would have a huge flow-on effect for the region."

Mr Wagner said the facility could boost the local economy by $600 million.

Despite saying he favoured neither proposal over the other, Mr Dick heaped praised on the Toowoomba proposal.

"(Toowoomba has) 315 clear flying days each year. It's a town on the up when it comes to economic growth. It's also a fantastic place to live," Mr Dick said.

"There is no (flight) curfew here.

"What you've got here is an unrivalled commitment from a local family."

Plane landings can be tricky: Pilots have to think quick.

Mr Wagner said his company would invest $55 million into the proposal if Qantas chose Toowoomba.

"We can have this up and running in five to six months from when they sign a commercial agreement," Mr Wagner said.

Mr Dick said he would travel to Mackay soon to meet with Qantas representatives there.

"Mackay will be feeling the love as well," he said.

Qantas Group Pilot Academy executive manager Wes Nobelius said a recent survey of the 14,000 aspiring pilots, who had indicated their interest in the Academy, showed a vast majority would be open to live, and train, in any of the nine shortlisted regional cities.

"Our team met with local and state government leaders including Mayors from across the broader region, business advocates and the Wellcamp Airport team in Toowoomba today to tour the facilities and assess the feasibility of our Academy being set up here," Mr Nobelius said.

"It will be a competitive process as we visit all nine regional shortlisted cities to go through in detail what's required to establish the Academy, and ensure it is sustainable in the long term."

The other regional cities in consideration for the academy are Alice Springs, Bendigo, Busselton, Dubbo, Launceston, Mackay, Tamworth and Wagga Wagga.

A decision on where the pilot training facility will go is expected later this year.

BUT...they will have Mackay to themselves pretty much....to do with what they will.

the advantage Toowoomba has got is its proximity to major capital cities via the highway and Wellcamp to a lesser extent

I don't think training pilots is about access to City's via the highway. Mackay has the best access via the airways in the region.

Airline cancels flights from Toowoomba to tropical city

TOBI LOFTUS

16th Jul 2018 5:00 AM

Subscriber only

REGIONAL airline Airnorth will cancel its flights to Cairns from Toowoomba's Wellcamp Airport later this year.

On Friday the airline contacted customers booked on flights after mid-October to let them know their flights had been cancelled.

Robin Beazley was due to fly to Cairns in November, but was told by the airline on Friday her flight, and all flights to Cairns from October, had been cancelled.

Related Items

"I'm very sad after I was informed by Airnorth that my flight had been cancelled," Ms Beazley said.

"(It's) apparently due to lack of bookings."

Ms Beazley said her daughter lived in Cairns and she regularly used the airline to fly to the tropical city.

"I have thoroughly enjoyed all my flights, whether they were north or south, with Airnorth, as have all my family over the last couple of years," she said.

"The convenience of only having to drive to Wellcamp could not be beaten.

"Hopefully they will reconsider their decision to reinstate flights to Cairns if public demand does improve."

It still operates flights from Wellcamp to Melbourne and to Townsville, with the later flight expanding operations to four services a week in January of this year.

At the time Airnorth said it was committed to "servicing the Darling Downs region".

"Toowoomba and Darling Downs residents continue to remain positive towards the 14 weekly services that Airnorth operates in and out of Wellcamp Airport," a spokesperson said in January.

In June, Qantas announced it had cut two of its flights between Wellcamp and Sydney, due to the international pilot shortage.

Airnorth has been contacted for comment about the Cairns route cancellation.