Wellcamp

Yenn

• Replies 958
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tamworth has had flight training for many years and probably appreciate how much it contributes to the town. If they become the landlord they may even get in income from the buildings. Good for them. Tamworth certainly makes itself felt in the country music sphere so there must be some go ahead attitude there.

Making money out of anything to do with Aeroplanes requires a special talent. Councils generally excel at killing off aerodromes, by seeing them as a cash cow . BAE put the original structures in years ago, I think. It's in a hollow which is hot in summer and cool in winter. TOO hot and TOO cool . It grew rich on the sheeps back in the 50's Nev

... It's in a hollow which is hot in summer and cool in winter. TOO hot and TOO cool ...

A "hollow"?  

Many towns began on river crossings points. Tamworth did and has spread either side of the floodplain, mostly on elevated land.

The original airstrip has long since been swallowed up by Tamworth's industrial area (Taminda) but it's history has been preserved in street names honouring famous aircraft and pilots. Some of the original WWII hangars are still used as business premises. 

The current airport is several km west of town on flood-free land. Good on the council for buying the school facilities vacated by BAE (and probably built with loads of public subsidy money).

We at Qurindi hope our airport continues to be used by Tamworth's flying school; it makes the place viable.

I hope it works too but my issue is with how Councils perform in the real world. I'm not referring to the original airstrip.. You, being at  Qurindi would be familiar with getting in and out of the top end of the Hunter Valley also as it presents considerable challenges when there's low cloud or storms  on the ranges..  Nev

• 3 weeks later...

not really Wellcamp related but of interest to @mnewbery

Departing tourism CEO hails Wagner's 'vision' for sector

Tom Gillespie

2 minutes

tomupdated1-umszx3lmiymhlkxk5q2_ct30x30.JPG

9th Jan 2019 3:02 PM

Subscriber only

THE former CEO of one of the Darling Downs' competing tourism authorities has backed the two groups joining forces to propel the sector forward.

Ruth Wetmore, who was the main face of John Wagner's privately-run Tourism Darling Downs for 18 months, today confirmed she had finished her contract with the organisation to return to work in Sydney.

Ms Wetmore said she loved her time in the region, so much so she stayed six months longer than her original contract.

"I had a one-year contract to put tourism back on the map. I feel I had achieved those goals," she said.

"We had demonstrated to those who had been funding tourism that there was another way.

"I did 500 one-on-ones with operators.

"We got China here, we had international tour operators come through who loved the area.

"I have been passionate about the region - it was an amazing journey for me."

Ms Wetmore also praised the work of Mr Wagner, calling him a "visionary".

"The bottom line is what I and John wanted was to give tourism a massive boost and let it continue in an entity that could be funded for the future," she said.

Ms Wetmore's comments come as a major shake-up in the tourism industry looms, centred around the structure and leadership at TDD and the council and government-funded Southern Queensland Country Tourism.

• 2 weeks later...

From time to time I try to identify all of the extraneous pus in my life and try to get rid of it. Unfortunately after the website refresh my ignore list allowed some new notifications through.

This particular carbuncle has once again been lanced but I won't be surprised if @fly_tornado

...finds some new way to infect the minds of people who would rather he didn't.

There's no law against heaping manure on the Wagner family, Wellcamp and the TSBE, all of which @fly_tornado did here for some months without basis of fact (e.g. some of it was libel IMO) Everyone ignored him/her/them/it then too. I see no reason to stop.

I'm interested to know if @fly_tornado is still the top ignored forum user and does @fly_tornado still outnumber the next most ignored user by 2:1? If so, is it because of this thread?

I fear that this article is about as honest as most other ABC left biased, virtue signalling garbage. It  also gives them way to much credit for intellect.

Trolls do live with their mothers, if not actually, psychologically.

Originally Mathew and I disagreed about whether or not Wellcamp was a good idea, my original concern was that the Newman or Abbott govt was going to buy it off the Wagner family for $200m. This thread helped me to influence journalists I follow on facebook to write about Wellcamp. 

I don't care what Matthew thinks of me as a troll because he's jacked off because he's wrong about wellcamp,  I know Mathew's ego will recover over time because he can't wrong forever. Sycophants are the worst though.

But back to Wellcamp, I contacted some APN, WIN and ABC journos last year about doing a story on Wellcamp after the ABS released the traffic figures, not a single one of them followed up. I guess after 5 years no one is interested anymore.

• 2 weeks later...

the local chamber of commerce getting ready to put their hands out for some sponsorship, but probably not a good idea to mention that its been 4.5 years and the traffic growth has plateaued 

Wellcamp underpinning Toowoomba's growth

by Jo Sheppard, Toowoomba Chamber of Commerce CEO

12th Feb 2019 5:00 AM 

Subscriber only

ON NOVEMBER 17, 2014, the first scheduled passenger service started operation between Sydney Airport and Wellcamp airport and the airport, and our community have not looked back since.

The connectivity that Toowoomba Wellcamp Airport provides not only significantly improves the liveability of our city, but it is also directly and indirectly supporting business growth across the region.

b88969242z1_20170911133515_000g9lpha542-0-n5lwjssfq820yrwjwo2_t460.jpg

Toowoomba Chamber of Commerce CEO Jo Sheppard.Contributed

Last week, the chamber was pleased to be involved in Provincial Distributors Food Services Trade Show held at the showgrounds here in Toowoomba.

The trade show was the biggest of its kind held outside a capital city and considerably boosted by the connectivity now provided by Wellcamp Airport.

The trade show saw more than 70 exhibitors come together to showcase their products including local food suppliers supported by the chamber's FAN (Food and Agri Network) along with some of the biggest national food brands as well.

In speaking with many of the exhibitors, the direct Qantas and Air North flights from Sydney and Melbourne into Toowoomba made it feasible for national food brands based in the South to participate in the trade show.

Weekly Cathay Pacific cargo services started in November 2016 from Wellcamp to Hong Kong and we have seen confidence in Toowoomba's future as a transport, logistics and export hub continue to grow.

From the establishment of new businesses such as freight forwarding company Australian International Logistics to the continued growth of the likes of AgEtal (agricultural testing and export compliance service providers) the flow on effect from Wellcamp airport is evident.

Join the growing community movement powered by people who believe in our region, and who believe that we deserve great connectivity for our families and businesses.

By taking the pledge to fly local you are working alongside the rest of the region to grow air services for the region.

If you would like to get involved in I Fly Toowoomba, head to Wellcamp airport's website or contact the chamber.

the local chamber of commerce getting ready to put their hands out for some sponsorship, but probably not a good idea to mention that its been 4.5 years and the traffic growth has plateaued 

Wellcamp underpinning Toowoomba's growth

by Jo Sheppard, Toowoomba Chamber of Commerce CEO

12th Feb 2019 5:00 AM 

Subscriber only

ON NOVEMBER 17, 2014, the first scheduled passenger service started operation between Sydney Airport and Wellcamp airport and the airport, and our community have not looked back since.

The connectivity that Toowoomba Wellcamp Airport provides not only significantly improves the liveability of our city, but it is also directly and indirectly supporting business growth across the region.

b88969242z1_20170911133515_000g9lpha542-0-n5lwjssfq820yrwjwo2_t460.jpg

Toowoomba Chamber of Commerce CEO Jo Sheppard.Contributed

Last week, the chamber was pleased to be involved in Provincial Distributors Food Services Trade Show held at the showgrounds here in Toowoomba.

The trade show was the biggest of its kind held outside a capital city and considerably boosted by the connectivity now provided by Wellcamp Airport.

The trade show saw more than 70 exhibitors come together to showcase their products including local food suppliers supported by the chamber's FAN (Food and Agri Network) along with some of the biggest national food brands as well.

In speaking with many of the exhibitors, the direct Qantas and Air North flights from Sydney and Melbourne into Toowoomba made it feasible for national food brands based in the South to participate in the trade show.

Weekly Cathay Pacific cargo services started in November 2016 from Wellcamp to Hong Kong and we have seen confidence in Toowoomba's future as a transport, logistics and export hub continue to grow.

From the establishment of new businesses such as freight forwarding company Australian International Logistics to the continued growth of the likes of AgEtal (agricultural testing and export compliance service providers) the flow on effect from Wellcamp airport is evident.

Join the growing community movement powered by people who believe in our region, and who believe that we deserve great connectivity for our families and businesses.

By taking the pledge to fly local you are working alongside the rest of the region to grow air services for the region.

If you would like to get involved in I Fly Toowoomba, head to Wellcamp airport's website or contact the chamber.

Didn't she get the memo? It's not "Toowoomba", it's "Brisbane West". I know I'm repeating myself, but fancy naming an airport with a lie. It's like Donald Trump saying that his towers had more floors than they actually did, so they would sound more impressive. Except worse. Worse than Donald Trump. I can't get over someone not piping up and pointing out that doing that just makes the corporation that built the airport look like a duplicitous c***. 

I always thought that the Brisbane West Wellcamp name, was a way of not confusing the old toowoomba airport with the new one, now that the new one hasn't significantly impacted air traffic in Australia they've gone back to the more obvious name. Wellcamp has been going now for 5 years, still no closer to getting a flight to Bali.  

I always thought that the Brisbane West Wellcamp name, was a way of not confusing the old toowoomba airport with the new one, now that the new one hasn't significantly impacted air traffic in Australia they've gone back to the more obvious name. Wellcamp has been going now for 5 years, still no closer to getting a flight to Bali.  

Toowoomba North?

• 2 weeks later...

Paul Murray from sky news is doing a regional tour and of course got a real scoop in toowoomba!

New long-haul flight set to fly into Wellcamp Airport soon

Tobi Loftus

2-3 minutes

twb180118loftus009-cw7elng28wlmsfrsnp2_ct30x30.jpg

21st Feb 2019 7:30 AM

Subscriber only

A NEW Boeing 777 service could soon be operating from Toowoomba Wellcamp Airport.

Speaking on Sky News Australia last night Wellcamp Airport boss John Wagner teased the new flight.

"We can take 747s, A380s and soon to be 777s actually in the not too distant future," Mr Wagner told host Paul Murray.

"We see us being a national logistics and freight hub and that will just create more work for Toowoomba."

The Boeing 777 is a long-haul plane usually used for international flights from Australia.

When asked by The Chronicle what this service would entail, Mr Wagner remained tight-lipped.

It's believed the service won't be a passenger flight.

Toowoomba Wellcamp Airport is currently serviced by one international freight service a week, Cathay Pacific's flight to Hong Kong.

It is not believed the new service would be operated by Cathay Pacific as they only use the Boeing 777 passenger model.

In November Cathay Pacific Regional Head of Cargo SWP Nigel Chynoweth said their freight service had grown since its introduction in 2016.

"We have seen year-on-year tonnage growth out of Toowoomba Wellcamp, and while we are not planning to change the frequency of our service, we regularly review the performance of all our routes to ensure we are capturing the demand that exists in the market," Mr Chynoweth said.

"We are pleased with the freighter from Wellcamp. We uplift weekly shipments of perishables, including chilled meat, produce and dairy and also oversize shipments of mining equipment, aircraft engines and artwork."

Who named the airport? Did anyone check to see who named it?

I'm not kidding. Go check and PM me. I'm surprised @fly_tornado let this one slip through, being the total fact hound this forum user has been in the past

• Haha 1