The Australian Government's Aviation Safety Regulation Review - Ministerial Statement

coljones

I was speaking to the Regional Director of our Sheriff's Department earlier this week and he told me that they estimate 1 in 10 cars garaged locally are driven unregistered. The fine for this is $750 so it seems it's not an effective deterrent.

DUI carries both a mandatory loss of licence (cancellation) and the prospect of a significant fine. It's the licence that has the punters bleeding because they generally ignore fines until they eventually get brought back to court for collection years later.

Our local mobile traffic guys now have police cars with number plate recognition technology installed together with a computer that runs instant registration checks. The system automatically scans every plate that it "sees" as the car is driven in traffic. The data from this and the static cameras was used to give the above estimation. Bit scary...but people haven't got the money, rego costs have just increased again, and they take the risk.

Kaz

I was speaking to the Regional Director of our Sheriff's Department earlier this week and he told me that they estimate 1 in 10 cars garaged locally are driven unregistered. The fine for this is $750 so it seems it's not an effective deterrent...but people haven't got the money, rego costs have just increased again, and they take the risk.Kaz

That's a frightening statistic, Kaz. Governing sure is a delicate balancing act: for fines to work, people must have something worth protecting. As Australia's workforce gets more mobile with less permanency, many people can't put down roots in a community. Home ownership has nosedived. With little to lose, there is less respect for rules.

We've seen this in the USA where money has been put ahead of most other values, resulting in crime, family and social breakdown as people struggle to adapt to economic forces beyond their control. We've seen the downside of these policies, yet we keep copying them.

The success of North America (compared to South America) during the 20th century has been attributed to private owneship of land- farms, businesses and homes. People had something to work towards, something to value and protect. For so many in USA and Australia today, those seem impossible dreams.

A fine focuses the mind and may ensure that proper fuel management is undertaken therefore mitigating the possibility of a lack of fuel and a resultant crash into the local school during school hours.In NSW cars are only rego checked once a year but there a loads of cars and trucks out there waiting to cause serious accidents (including death) because of vehicle faults. If the cops did safety checks when they were doing booze checks we might have fewer deaths.

Deaths and injuries due to mechanical faults are very very low; you will be able to find the break down in State statisics, so you can compare States requiring an annual inspection with states that don't and the last time I looked the difference was negligible.

This is because, although a vehicle may e unroadworthy, a serious crash has to involve an element going back to that component. For example you may have no brakes at all but that doesn't cause your death if you are sideswiped by a drunk, and is usually quickly established by the police investigation. What does seem to cause deaths is a sudden failure of a suspension or steering component which spears a car off the road, and that is very rare.

• Agree 2

Houses are only unaffordable today because of their size and quality. If people we willing to live in a small fibre-cement house as everyone did back in the 1950s then they could own a house and pay it off on an average wage. They could still afford an electric fridge and a wireless. Anything more is excessive, and buying that stuff is the reason they all complain that they can't afford a house.

• Agree 2
  • Winner 1

Houses are only unaffordable today because of their size and quality.

Nope, price of land.

Show me a small fibre-cement house in Sydney that's affordable (on average single income wage like they did in the 1950's), I'd like to buy it.

Nope, price of land.Show me a small fibre-cement house in Sydney that's affordable (on average single income wage like they did in the 1950's), I'd like to buy it.

Why would you want a house in Sydney?

• Agree 1

Because I mostly work there. And I'd be glad to leave the Sad-Ass state....

Get a job or create one where you want to live then, I did. Now I can actually afford a house, and when I was renting, it was half what I was paying before.

• Like 2

Get a job or create one where you want to live then, I did. Now I can actually afford a house, and when I was renting, it was half what I was paying before.

I like the concept m61, I guess I partly did that and moved to the Budgewoi lake area on the central coast area above that pain in the ass city of Sydney. I dislike Sydney immensely, but it is one of the economic hubs of my income, so I moved far enough away to have a nice affordable life style . We purchased a small 2 bed fibro cottage originally built in 1930 on the lake and in the process of renovating it. I was lucky, I got it for about land value.

Most of my work is in the capital cities and NZ so I fly a lot. Not everyone is able to do as you suggest, but it is worth a mammoth effort to try.

• Agree 1

Lived in Perth for 10 years, house prices were always just out of our reach, ok maybe more than "just". We've recently moved out of Perth to the Bunbury area for Family reasons. Can actually afford to buy a house, our (minimum) mortgage payment is way less (~$80 less) than what we were paying Rent in Perth, for a crappy unit. Traffic is not an issue, lifestyle way better here for what we want. Another bonus is no more 2 hour drive to the airport to go for a fly! More like 10 minutes 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif. Couldn't be happier at the moment.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Winner 1

im not scared of a ramp check, as i try to be as safe as i can be, and have everything legally needed for flight, but the fact the fear of a ramp check turns a lot of pilots away from an event shows there is something wrong, is it the fear of being fined? losing a licence? if so, why are they fearing this? if they are knowingly doing something illegal, flying with no radio and knowing you need one? or simply miscalculating fuel due to their lack of training?

a ramp check should be used to highlight deficiencies in the pilots training, so the pilot can then get the training, and improve their flying and safety, not fine the pilot into flying unsafely by avoiding authorities at all costs..

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

im not scared of a ramp check, as i try to be as safe as i can be, and have everything legally needed for flight, but the fact the fear of a ramp check turns a lot of pilots away from an event shows there is something wrong, is it the fear of being fined? losing a licence? if so, why are they fearing this? if they are knowingly doing something illegal, flying with no radio and knowing you need one? or simply miscalculating fuel due to their lack of training? a ramp check should be used to highlight deficiencies in the pilots training, so the pilot can then get the training, and improve their flying and safety, not fine the pilot into flying unsafely by avoiding authorities at all costs..

I've never had a ramp check, so the only thing I can base my experience on is previous interaction with our state and federal law enforcement officers. My negative experiences far outweigh the positive ones, with that in mind, and the very negative anecdotes in the mill, I personally stay the hell away from them (CASA). My experience is that our "authorities" can usually find fault with anything regardless of how careful you are.

• Agree 1

Any government official always record them. I had a local council inspector try to claim a significant payment was required then he resorted to threatening when I insisted on seeing the regulation (there wasn't one). If I had a recording of the initial conversation he would have been finished.

there is a need to listen to what some of the ramp check guys say don't go of at them I feel that the bloke at the front line knows more than the bloke in the office 004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif

068_angry.gif.cc43c1d4bb0cee77bfbafb87fd434239.gif I phoned casa office a got the greatest run around from three idiots the fourth had a little knowledge the:victory: fifth had at his finger tips what I wanted to know

:scratching head:question was do persons holding pilot certificates have to carry on their plane being an ultrilight maps licence maintenance release form and do we have to have a sare time

do we as pilots have to have ramp checks

:happy dance:the fifths answer was if you as a pilot certificate holder have to abide by your rules if your rules and regs don't state you as pilot in command are not subject to ramp checks you will be ramp checked at any time any where neil

there is a need to listen to what some of the ramp check guys say don't go of at them I feel that the bloke at the front line knows more than the bloke in the office 004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif068_angry.gif.cc43c1d4bb0cee77bfbafb87fd434239.gif I phoned casa office a got the greatest run around from three idiots the fourth had a little knowledge the:victory: fifth had at his finger tips what I wanted to know

:scratching head:question was do persons holding pilot certificates have to carry on their plane being an ultrilight maps licence maintenance release form and do we have to have a sare time

do we as pilots have to have ramp checks

:happy dance:the fifths answer was if you as a pilot certificate holder have to abide by your rules if your rules and regs don't state you as pilot in command are not subject to ramp checks you will be ramp checked at any time any where neil

Interpretation

Listen to the CASA employee performing the ramp check. He will advise you of the requirements and any deficiencies. If you phone CASA and do not clearly explain to them your exact requirements, you are likely to be put through to employees in different departments who have no knowledge of the RAMP Check function, so it may take some time to be transferred to the correct authority.

The question would appear to be. "Are RA-Aus pilots required to carry their Pilot Certificate, current appropriate charts and documents, maintenance records, is there a requirement to file a SARwatch and are Ramp Checks voluntary?

The answer would appear to be "As an Ra-Aus pilot certificate holder, you must comply with the Ra-Aus operations manual and you may be subject to a Ramp Check (like an RBT) any time any where.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1