Modifications to 19-XXXX aircraft

Can an owner maintain a factory built aircraft that is not being used for training?

Ps varierble pitch props are ok on LSA there is one at our airport a seaplane

I was speaking to the owna about it a few weeks back

Currently, I believe that you allowed, but I understand that may be subject to change very shortly. Don't take my word for thought, check the regs.

Ps varierble pitch props are ok on LSA there is one at our airport a seaplaneI was speaking to the owna about it a few weeks back

I believe you are right. I said in an earlier post somewhere that an LSA couldn't have a variable pitch prop. That is true under the FAA rules in the US which allow only fixed or ground adjustable, but our LSA rules are a bit more lenient in that and a few other areas, and don't say that you can't have one, so I stand corrected.

rgmwa

Extract from AC 21-41(0)

LIGHT SPORT AIRCRAFT CERTIFICATE OF AIRWORTHINESS

5. WHAT IS A LIGHT SPORT AIRCRAFT?

5.1 A light sport aircraft (LSA) is a small, simple to operate, low performance aircraft.

With regard to the requirements of the CASRs, a light-sport aircraft is an aircraft, other than

a helicopter that complies with the following criteria:

(1) A maximum takeoff weight of not more than 600 kilograms or 650 kilograms for an

aircraft intended for operation on water or 560 kilograms for a lighter-than-air

aircraft.

(2) A maximum stalling speed in the landing configuration (VS0) of not more than 45

knots CAS at the aircraft’s maximum certificated takeoff weight and most critical

center of gravity.

(3) A maximum seating capacity of no more than two persons, including the pilot.

(4) If powered, a single, non-turbine engine fitted with a propeller.

(5) A non-pressurised cabin:

(i) For an aircraft operating over land, a fixed landing gear;

(ii) For an aircraft intended for operation on water, a fixed or repositionable

landing gear; and

(iii) For a glider a fixed or retractable landing gear.

(6) If the aircraft is a glider a maximum never exceed speed Vne of 135 knots CAS.