AUSFLY appears to have been cancelled for 2014

Bubbleboy

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I received an email from SAAA today enclosing a letter from the AUSFLY organisers confirming that it has been cancelled for 2014. I presume it is legit?

Kaz

The website (www.ausfly.com.au) is still touting Ausfly 11-14 Sept 2014 (last updated 16/5/14).

Farcebook page's last post was 28 March 2014. https://www.facebook.com/www.ausfly.com.au?fref=ts

Very disappointed if it has been cancelled - we were planning to attend.

Sue

This is how I found out and I have my plane in the hanger just up the apron, was all kept very quiet. To save me from re typing what I think it's on the Facebook link below.

What would you guys think of a major/ minor event. Ie major air show event one year then just a bar and BBQ type event the following year?

I agree with Old Koreelah, as I have posted on their FB, why does anything have to be organised? I'm sure we will feed and water anybody that decides to come for some of the best sunsets to be seen from an aeroclub/gliding club deck.

Brad.

https://www.facebook.com/SportAircraftAssociationOfAustralia/photos/a.348692545218193.84924.288886704532111/650937828326995/?type=1%26comment_id=651035111650600%26reply_comment_id=651049681649143%26offset=0%26total_comments=13%26ref=notif%26notif_t=photo_reply

• Like 1

People who intend to gather at Narromine on that weekend could indicate so on this thread, and contact the Aero Club to see if they can cater for tucker, etc. Many of us are equipped to camp semi-independently.

Hi Guys,

It is with much regret due to workload affecting man critical functions of the SAAA that we as the major event sponsor have decided that Ausfly for 2014 will have be postponed until 2015. However, there will still be a fly in/BBQ for all who still want to attend. Our national Council will also be available to the members.

Our first press release was yesterday, and I am still getting around to updating all sites/facebooks.

Thank you for your understanding and we apologise for any inconvenience this causes you.

Should you require any further information, Please do not hesitate to contact the office at [email protected]

- SAAA Office Staff

• Like 3
  • Informative 1

Actually, this could dovetail with another thread- relocation of the RAAus office. One suggestion was to co-locate with SAAA and share facilities. Perhaps the two associations could take turns running the Fly-In.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

Actually, this could dovetail with another thread- relocation of the RAAus office. One suggestion was to co-locate with SAAA and share facilities. Perhaps the two associations could take turns running the Fly-In.

OK stop making suggestions that make sense, it's just not like you:chuffed:.

But even if not located at the same location taking turns seems like a good idea to me, and being in different locations might actually be a benefit.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Agree OK. Perhaps they ought take it a step beyond and amalgamate? Always seems a wasteful duplication of resources and effort in. World where costs are shrinking the market.

There is strength in numbers and we need all the political clout we can get. An amalgamated body looking after the regulation and interests of all sport fliers just makes sense to me.

Kaz

• Like 3
  • Agree 9

I agree with what kaz is saying. It's time all the little groups stopped peddling their individual causes and promote aviation as a whole. It shouldn't matter what people are flying as long as there flying something.

I, like many others on here, am a member of nearly all the recreational/sport aviation bodies, RAAUS, SAAA, GFA, AAAA and the American EAA. When it comes to renewal time I dread it more than car rego and insurance. All in its close to a grand. While the EAA membership is $40 for international membership to an active association that covers all of these same groups of aviation. I realise it can't be compared to Australia as the active aviation population is minuscule when compared to the states but in this day of regulatory oversight surely there is some benefit in working together to do same thing.

I am unaware what the aeroclub are planning but the gliding club will be open and if the demand is there meals will be available and the beers will be cold.

I know that the local accommodation outlets have awoken to a hell of a surprise with people cancelling their accommodation today and personally I couldn't blame people for not bothering next year.

Rant over. For now.

• Like 2

The thing with a merger is the loss of income and loss of member 'numbers', in as much as now like brad says a lot of people are members of more than one organisation so if they were all to merge instead of having 10000 RAA, 10000 saaa and 10000gfa you end up with a total of 15000 people. So you are getting less income than at the minute and instead of being able to lobby government on behalf of 30000 you only have half that. (Member numbers are examples and are not accurate)

Remember when RAAus had its get together at Narromine, not so many years ago. I believe it was seen as a rip off by Narromine so RAAus moved to Temora. If RAAus and SAAA combined their offices at Narromine would there be a further rip off?

I used to be a member of EAA, but it has become a money grabbing organisation of late. I was also a member of AOPA, but they just seem to be a bunch of whingers to me, so it is SAAA and RAAus at the moment.

• Agree 1
  • Caution 1

The thing with a merger is the loss of income and loss of member 'numbers', in as much as now like brad says a lot of people are members of more than one organisation so if they were all to merge instead of having 10000 RAA, 10000 saaa and 10000gfa you end up with a total of 15000 people. So you are getting less income than at the minute and instead of being able to lobby government on behalf of 30000 you only have half that. (Member numbers are examples and are not accurate)

Don't underestimate the cost of servicing three separate administrations to serve those 15,000 members! We might be much better off having one administration with half as many members, and only one "peak body" representing our interests to the minister. We won't be competing with each other to be heard.

• Agree 1

It would be great to see both RA-Aus and SAAA get together with the other organisation to put on one big airshow, like AusFly. It would allow the organisations to share the burden of putting such a show on. An event like Natfly or AusFly takes a lot of planning and there is a hell of a lot of behind the scenes work to be done which is duplicated each year by both organisations. RA-Aus and SAAA get together, to share the load and do one Airshow really well, just my thoughts.

• Agree 2

It would be great to see both RA-Aus and SAAA get together with the other organisation to put on one big airshow, like AusFly. It would allow the organisations to share the burden of putting such a show on. An event like Natfly or AusFly takes a lot of planning and there is a hell of a lot of behind the scenes work to be done which is duplicated each year by both organisations. RA-Aus and SAAA get together, to share the load and do one Airshow really well, just my thoughts.

It would also allow trade displays to concentrate on the one event instead of trying to decide which event to attend, should result in more toys for all of us to check out.

• Agree 3
  • Haha 1