A newcomer from Sweden

Hasse

Yes I will not start the poly uretane painting until I find a good full-face respirator.

Ha ha I was thinking about inserting a joke about the alternative method of hiring a cheap illegal immigrant to do the job if you didn't want to spend up on the respirator.... but no, being a nice Gnu I wouldn't do such a poor taste non-PC joke of course. 058_what_the.gif.7624c875a1b9fa78348ad40493faf23c.gif

I hope it goes well! Be sure to post some photos of progress.

On the Savannah manual, the drawings are usually on the following page not the facing page which detracts from the clarity of the instructions, not mention that Italglish is a sometimes flawed translation, "being careful not the making of confusion"!

Hi guys,

I just want you to know that I started the Engine today - for the first time. All went OK but as I had mounted the mag switches upside down it took some time before I realised my mistake. Not easy to get the Engine running with mags in off position :-). Apart from that all motor instruments looked ok but it seems that I have a small leakage in the "spider" connection for the fuel. This is strange as I was quite careful to add glue on the threads (or whatever you call it) to get it tight.

Anyone who recognise this kind of leakage?

I posted a picture o a happy builder.

Hasse

IMG_0240.JPG.382ef09ab8a956af8b4e5616110bc0f6.JPG

• Like 4

I'm NO expert but I use a lot of the flat green aviation etch, with metal surfaces. I'm presuming your plane is Al sheet. and needs an etch. There is no need for any great thickness of this paint. A light misting is all you need and don't have a lot of humidity. Preclean well and control dust. This etch should have been used in the laps of your riveted joints if you are worried about corrosion. Nev

Hi Nev,

On your recommendation (and a few others) I will use the etch primer (a yellow green stuff) in stead of the epoxy primer. I will spray it thin (just one layer) and add the first poly uretane coat on top within 12 hours after the primer. Then wait until the layer is tacky ( 5-10 min) and add the second and final coat layer. This means that I have to divide the paint project into five parts ( miscelanious small loose parts, rudder/ailerons/elevator/stabilator, left wing, right wing, fuselage and cowling) and wash, clean with prokote, prime and paint each part one at the time. This will probably take at least three weeks to complete. Well, I'm not in a hurry.

Hasse

Hello HansMy Savannah S project is 11 months along in my mothers lounge room(because my wife won't let it in her house) also ready to paint but my motor is still in the box, I share your lack of painting experience, it is a bit frightening to start with no experience so it has stalled the progress somewhat. Dennis is on the forums (Skee), buiding one in Sweden in his loungeroom also. Not such a strange thing to do afterall.

All the best Steve...

I actually know "Hasse" ive been to his place a few times and we have been talking allot.

Hi guys,I just want you to know that I started the Engine today - for the first time. All went OK but as I had mounted the mag switches upside down it took some time before I realised my mistake. Not easy to get the Engine running with mags in off position :-). Apart from that all motor instruments looked ok but it seems that I have a small leakage in the "spider" connection for the fuel. This is strange as I was quite careful to add glue on the threads (or whatever you call it) to get it tight.

Anyone who recognise this kind of leakage?

I posted a picture o a happy builder.

Hasse

Startade du motorn utan mig! (Did you start the engine without me!) Congratulations, myself ive decided on the D-Motor and is pulling the wires for it now.

but it seems that I have a small leakage in the "spider" connection for the fuel. This is strange as I was quite careful to add glue on the threads (or whatever you call it) to get it tight.Anyone who recognise this kind of leakage?

Don't feel too special, you are not alone, it' s a bit of a lottery.

Startade du motorn utan mig!

It's obviously a private intimate moment, not to be share, like carrying her across the threashold!

• Haha 1

I actually know "Hasse" ive been to his place a few times and we have been talking allot.

Startade du motorn utan mig! (Did you start the engine without me!) Congratulations, myself ive decided on the D-Motor and is pulling the wires for it now.

Sorry Dennis! Couldn't keep away from the Engine. Some kind of magnetic itch :-)

Anyway, the chinese version of Scotch brite has arrieved. Thanks. But you know Dennis, the amount you ordered for me is enough to clean a fleet of B-757.

So, you've decided on the D-motor. Was it the weight, efficiency, reliability or cost that made you to take the D-motor and not the Rotax?

See you soon

Hasse

I think you are" ON THE BALL" with the paint. Final coats wet on wet with enough time between them to prevent runs. If you leave it too long you have to roughen up the surface for adhesion and that is a mistake.

I've seen corrosion under urethane, when not done properly. You can't touch up a lot of modern finishes and stripping them is difficult. Thick coats chip easily especially if a Primer /surfacer with a lot of build is used underneath . Nev

I think you are" ON THE BALL" with the paint. Final coats wet on wet with enough time between them to prevent runs. If you leave it too long you have to roughen up the surface for adhesion and that is a mistake.I've seen corrosion under urethane, when not done properly. You can't touch up a lot of modern finishes and stripping them is difficult. Thick coats chip easily especially if a Primer /surfacer with a lot of build is used underneath . Nev

Ok, thanks Nev. I will try this scheme. Starting with something less preciaous. How durable? Well, time will tell.

Anyway, painting need not be top quality - wing assembly should.

Hasse

Sorry Dennis! Couldn't keep away from the Engine. Some kind of magnetic itch :-)Anyway, the chinese version of Scotch brite has arrieved. Thanks. But you know Dennis, the amount you ordered for me is enough to clean a fleet of B-757.

So, you've decided on the D-motor. Was it the weight, efficiency, reliability or cost that made you to take the D-motor and not the Rotax?

See you soon

Hasse

LoL,, a few 757,, then you can practise some before your Savannah,, still it was cheap =) God created earth but rest is Made in China!....

Sorry Dennis! Couldn't keep away from the Engine. Some kind of magnetic itch :-)Anyway, the chinese version of Scotch brite has arrieved. Thanks. But you know Dennis, the amount you ordered for me is enough to clean a fleet of B-757.

See you soon

Hasse

I am interested in why you chose the relatively new D-Motor too, Skee!

I am interested in why you chose the relatively new D-Motor too, Skee!

I've been bombarding D-motor with questions and Alain keeps answering them instantly, compared Icp that take 3 days to several weeks.

D-motor has about 50 flying samples while Icp engine isn't flying yet and keep pushing it, maybe flying in September.

D motor used jabiru engine mount witch Icp have.

The engine is simple (uses some readily av, auto parts), small/tiny, light 59 kg with fluids (10kg less than rotax) I need low weight cause of the strict weight regulations to keep it a microlight, don't want to redo my license from scratch for a heavier class.

I want a Fuel efficient engine, injection really does it, so with about 12L/H@75% and 150L fuel i really can go distances.

only 7 HP less than Rotax i dont think i will notice any diff.

I get a good discount.

They plan on turbo further on to keep performance at higher altitude.

Earlier issues they have had they fixed immediately by driving to customer and examining it, so they have a good reputation.

• Helpful 1
  • Informative 1

I've been bombarding D-motor with questions and Alain keeps answering them instantly, compared Icp that take 3 days to several weeks.D-motor has about 50 flying samples while Icp engine isn't flying yet and keep pushing it, maybe flying in September.

D motor used jabiru engine mount witch Icp have.

The engine is simple (uses some readily av, auto parts), small/tiny, light 59 kg with fluids (10kg less than rotax) I need low weight cause of the strict weight regulations to keep it a microlight, don't want to redo my license from scratch for a heavier class.

I want a Fuel efficient engine, injection really does it, so with about 12L/H@75% and 150L fuel i really can go distances.

only 7 HP less than Rotax i dont think i will notice any diff.

I get a good discount.

They plan on turbo further on to keep performance at higher altitude.

Earlier issues they have had they fixed immediately by driving to customer and examining it, so they have a good reputation.

According to this Rotax 912ULS 100hp specification sheet, you can only run it at maximum power (5,800 revs per minute) for one minute! http://www.zenithair.com/pdf-doc/912uls-100hp.pdf

How long can the D Motor run for at maximum power?

According to this Rotax 912ULS 100hp specification sheet, you can only run it at maximum power (5,800 revs per minute) for one minute! http://www.zenithair.com/pdf-doc/912uls-100hp.pdfHow long can the D Motor run for at maximum power?

I wonder if that was a mistake I'm 90% sure that my manual says 5minutes at 5800, although it is the 914 I will have to check again.

How long can the D Motor run for at maximum power?

Alain to the rescue,, hes really quick.

Hi,

Max RPM 3000 max 5 minutes.

Max continuous RPM 2800.

Of course within temperature limits.

Kind regards

Alain Dejager

Alain to the rescue,, hes really quick.

Hi,

Max RPM 3000 max 5 minutes.

Max continuous RPM 2800.

Of course within temperature limits.

Kind regards

Alain Dejager

Thanks, Skee.

5 minutes should get you to well over 3,000 feet (about 1 km) above airfield level.

• Agree 1

Max power is what it says.

Meto is max except take off

Max continuous is what it says.

Time limitations are normally applied where the engine uses itself as a heat sink at higher power settings and is usually a feature of the Larger or supercharged engines operation..

There are also overspeed figures for engines. (Too many revs). On a fixed pitch prop you will only get that in a power on dive generally

Stipulating a time limit on simpler small motors might be overcomplicating things. Good engine handling( airmanship) and lower power settings will generally improve engine life. Eg running a gypsy at 1950 rpm will have it last better than running at 2050.

Lower revs on large radials and most engines will improve fuel consumption. Friction is rpm squared. Nev

• Informative 2