Decalin Fuel Additive

Bruce Tuncks

Does anybody know about this in Australia?

It is apparently sold by Aircraft Spruce in the US and it cleans up the combustion chamber.

Now we have been warned off additives of any sort , but this may be good stuff.

I would like to clean up my combustion chambers, with the Jabiru 2200 running on avgas they have a lot of deposits, although the engine is running well at 450 hours.

... Bruce

I've used this in my soob ej25 powered gyro, the soob being EFI and unleaded. So the times I fuelled up with avgas I added decalin at the rates instructed, no problems at all, all good. The soob with all it's censors feeding back to the ECU, I was concerned with avgas, and then again concerned if the decalin really was a good move, it proved ok.

Now onto me jab.......99% of the time avgas, occasionally topup with 95 premium, more and more I'm hearing guys running nothing but 95 and adding top end lube

( Lucas....mooreys ) ...all having no probs whatsoever, infact when heads are pulled off, internally clean as.......my 2 bobsworth.

If using top lube I would confine it to a good two stroke oil as other oils may lower the octane rating of the fuel or foul the plug with metal salts from the anti friction additives. Don't use much. An egg cup to each tank would be enough and premix it with a few litres of fuel. Nev

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

There was a recent report of a Jab using it in the US, had severe detonation on takeoff. Apparently he had mixed it to the correct ratios and was using Avgas. Switched back to straight Avgas and the problem went away.

You may have to be a member to find it but just search for Decalin https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/jabiruengines/

Yep I found that report thanks aj

Hard to know what to do huh? Lots of good reports, now a bad one to spoil the hope.

For the stuff to cause detonation, it would have to be an octane lowering agent I would think, maybe this could be checked out.

There was a recent report of a Jab using it in the US, had severe detonation on takeoff. Apparently he had mixed it to the correct ratios and was using Avgas. Switched back to straight Avgas and the problem went away.You may have to be a member to find it but just search for Decalin https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/jabiruengines/

Or he just had a crap load of 100LL. The use of Decalin use by the military for drones indicates that there is some support for its use.

Good point col, it would be good if he were to try the stuff again, but I doubt if he could be talked into it. There is more of the story on the sonex website.

But I'm not very confident about being able to tell it there's detonation going on. But it's strange that only one guy has commented on it.

We need somebody with a test facility to sort this out.

There was a recent report of a Jab using it in the US, had severe detonation on takeoff. Apparently he had mixed it to the correct ratios and was using Avgas. Switched back to straight Avgas and the problem went away.You may have to be a member to find it but just search for Decalin https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/jabiruengines/

There is also another message in the same thread, this time running auto fuel but same issue with detonation and same fix.. gutful of fresh fuel.. I would have thought that one would more likely be a fuel quality issue.

I did note in the maintenance manual that Jabiru do not recommend any additives in fuel regardless

Guys.....copy of mail from moreys...........( edited )

Sorry Russ, I will try to be more specific.

Our Upper Cylinder Lube (Moreys) will not effect the RON in any way, if it did then you would most likely have excessive engine knock

Sent: Tuesday, 24 June 2014 10:40 AM

To: Stephen

Subject: Re: Morey Oil

Thanks,....but my query was......does moreys lower the RON ( octane ) of petrol, your reply here refers the product is " not an enhancer " .......enhancing is too improve. Can you please clarify.

Russ......

On 23 Jun 2014, at 11:01 am, wrote:

Hi Russ, Moreys Upper Cylinder Lube is not an Octane enhancer and yes you can use it in Air Cooled Engines.

Please feel free to contact me for further information if reqired