Plane Crash Barossa Valley 26/6

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm no expert, but from the different photos (particularly the ABC ones) there doesn't seem to be a lot of forward airspeed involved. The marks in the soil aren't very long, although they could be entirely unrelated and the pics aren't the best anyway.

Spoke with one of the local boys today as I fly in that area. Wanted to find out who may have been involved, and was concerned it may have been one of our local club members. This information I have not been able to find out. Very Very sad to think that two people today lost their lives doing what we all love to do, and have left family members in a very sad way..

I can help with information that was passed on to me that indicates that one wing was found a large distance away from the impact site. The weather this morning was very still and calm, but with very low cloud and fog. Being that this location is in the Barossa Valley and have flow around it many many times, I am aware that the fog collects in valley in small pockets and often re-builds as moisture falls from the hills. The airfield as Andy mentioned is Very Very close to the hills and often take-off is directly towards them. Often a tight turn is required as soon as a safe hight is had. Often a challenge with a leeward wind.. This airfield is not close to Truro Airfield at all, and is a private strip call Rowland Flat... Nothing was mentioned to me as to what airfield was used so this information may have no bearing on the flight at all. I just wanted to mention it as it has been ref to in this post and wanted to clear that up.

I am just putting my opinion on the fact that these factors (weather) may have played a role in this event... We will in time find out what did happen and hope that some good may come out of such a tragic even..

My thoughts go out to all those effected..

Mardy

• Agree 1
  • Helpful 1

FFS, look at the photo referenced in post #16.

Both flaps are missing. The entire section of the starboard wing outside the flap end is missing. The thing obviously hit in a spiraling, almost vertical descent, that smashed the starboard wing behind the elevator and horizontal stabiliser.

Guest Andys@coffs

FFS anyone who thinks you can look at a single photo and draw absolute meaningful conclusions probably also thinks that the crash investigation course is an afternoon course done in the Ronald Mcdonald room at your local Macca's over a quick burger and fries....

I'm guessing the RAAus accredited investigators will probably visit and walk around and sample and look at heaps of sources of info and then, just maybe when that's all done they may talk over a possible theory or 2 with the other accredited investigators to look for holes etc and then they might just actually publish upward.....

The photos for example, where they as the aircraft ended up after the crash, or was that how they ended up after the 1st responders tried to get to the guys on-board......

They give us info but certainly not enough to produce a doctorate on by any stretch......

What you can tell though is that 1/2mv^2 can certainly be fatal in this case and the immovable object still remained where it was....so when it comes to immeasurable force or immoveable object best I be near neither.....

Sad sad news. I hope the families are being looked after tonight. If anybody here knows them please pass our condolences from everybody on the site.

ts prangs like this that really highlight how much we miss out on by not having propper investigations performed. If something has departed the aeroplane, then jees id like to know how, and why. But today, we just need to worry about the poor people who have empty chairs at the dinner table tonight.

• Agree 8

But today, we just need to worry about the poor people who have empty chairs at the dinner table tonight.

They probrably need the answers from a proper investigation even more than we do, and also not likely to get what they need. Pilot was named on the 6.00 news and the finger pointed at a nearby mobile phone tower.

• Agree 2
  • Informative 2

Guest Maj Millard

I work as an Aircraft engineer and I' m pretty sure from studying the photo in post #16 that both wings are present beside the aircraft. It looks like a fairly steep approach angle to me, and I don't see any evidence of post- crash fire.................Maj....

I work as an Aircraft engineer and I' m pretty sure from studying the photo in post #16 that both wings are present beside the aircraft. It looks like a fairly steep approach angle to me, and I don't see any evidence of post- crash fire.................Maj....

Hey maj. It's only a section of the wing that came off and was found a km away there's pics on a news thread of the wing end on its own and speculation of a tower being hit! Shearing off the wing end after struts.. Edit- the wing end looks like it was cut perfect with a laser cutter?

That is the other four numbers I have been looking for, sticking out of a paddock, just like the camper reported. We all assumed he was reporting the part of the debris in the photo we were looking at as we read the article, but not so.

• Agree 1

from what i can see, high speed, very steep impact, as for the wing, it could have failed as a result of stresses resulting from spiral dive, which can happen easily when flying into IMC conditions without training. the outer separated wing section appears to be reasonably in shape, something that dosnt look like it was torn off in an impact with a tree/tower/etc. i would expect the leading edge to be severely distorted after hitting something hard enough to remove it.

Thats about all i can gather from the published photos, and is in no way indicative of what happened, and yes, i have completed air accident investigation courses at NSW uni.

• Agree 2
  • Informative 1

Ladies and gents,

RAAus has two trained investigator consultants working with the SA police to determine the most likely cause. If any information comes that we can legally release to the membership we will ASAP. From photos and locations items have been observed it is suspected the aircraft suffered a significant failure. What caused the failure is not yet determined.

Regards,

Jim Tatlock

RAAus board executive.

• Like 8
  • Agree 2

Guest Maj Millard
You might want to brush up your bush engenring skills Ross as the second wing is clearly several hundred metres from the main wreckage lying in a paddock. The dark colored items to the right of the wreckage include a wheel spat and what looks like a burnt engine. the part that confuses me is the 24 number wich looks like the right wingThe only way it can have both wings in the photo is if the left wing broke off a couple of feet from the fuselage

Deborah, rego numbers are on the bottom of the left wing not the right wing. 3/4 of the left wing and what looks like the complete length of right wing are present with the fuselage. It is the outboard section of the left wing found elsewhere.

Maj is right with that it is the left wing tip in the separate photo. IF it was a wire strike that would explain the neatish rip, that is of course speculation but quiet a plausible explanation especially if you take into account low cloud so 'possibly' lower flying and support wires for those towers are as hard to spot as powerlines. But however it happened it is not a good outcome and the families pay the price.

this cessna struck wires and you can see the wing severed cleanly

in the P-96 there is no outboard section that would sever like that even if it exceeded vne in imc.

it sounds like he got lost in the fog and took the wing off, its sad but these things happen all the time, pilot error contributes to most accidents, air frame failure is relatively rare.

• Informative 1

Another thing I noticed was the rear of the left wing seems to be missing in the first photo which could also indicate it got taken in a 'strike' but anyway I'm no expert so I'm heading to some other threads. (Wont make me an expert but if I say something dumb I don't want it to be disrespectful)

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1
  • Informative 1

We need to be careful drawing any conclusions at all based on "what me mate told me" and assumptions based on what we reckon is or isnt possible.

An f15 eagle made a successful landing with an entire wing missing once.

There are several factors being raised as contenders and as is usually the case its never just one that causes the accident.. We need to let the facts come out.